Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Good point. Hope its not the case though

Since the controls have come in

Velasquez, Weidman, Aldo and Rousey have all lost, and not just lost close fights, but been brutally beaten.

Jones lost his belt but not in the ring to be fair, but he did fail tests.

I find it fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Velasquez, Weidman, Aldo and Rousey have all lost, and not just lost close fights, but been brutally beaten.

I find it fascinating.

Drugs or no drugs.

Aldo was getting knocked out the same way last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

its funny how some of these invincible champions have all been dethroned recently enough, just after the IV ban and stricter anti doping controls came into play........

Don't really see that in the context of this fight though. We didn't see any sign of poor conditioning or poor rehydration from Aldo, because... Well he went down on the first hit essentially.

The Weidman fight was more interesting in that regards. I thought Rockhold looked in better shape, Weidman looked soft but had the first round... I think the way some of these guys condition themselves is down to how they approach the fight... Personally I don't see any correlation between that and potential juicing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Aldo via Submission
    Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Lukker- wrote: »
    There's a vid of Lorenzo Fertitta throwing his arms up while holding the belt after Aldo got knocked down. He looked pissed off. Not sure was it because the fight ended so quickly but supposedly there was some friction between Conor's camp and the UFC over the figure for his new contract. He didn't sign one before the fight, probably so he's in a better position after, but I think he said in his post fight conference that he had agreed a deal in principle. Anyways, he's in an amazing situation, Weidmann and Ronda are gone, 2 of the most marketable fighters going.
    It was frank - https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/676147118298505216

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision

I find it fascinating.

Yeaaaah... not really sure which drug you take to survive a cracking left hook to the jaw. Preparation H?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    Without seeing his face it's hard to guage what sort of reaction it was when he was slamming down the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Lads when the main card fight doesn't go past one round I presume someone is missing out on the revenue from the adverts in between the rounds? This the ufc or the cable providers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    jon1981 wrote: »
    Lads when the main card fight doesn't go past one round I presume someone is missing out on the revenue from the adverts in between the rounds? This the ufc or the cable providers?

Both I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Aldo via KO/TKO

I would assume it's the ufc as they have paid for the allocated time slot on the PPV so would be missing out on air time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

McGregor via Decision
    To anyone saying the fight was stopped to soon, poor Aldo didn't know where he was when the fight got stopped, the 2 hammer fists weren't even required.

https://vine.co/v/iZP3nX5v3uP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ASOT wrote: »
    I would assume it's the ufc as they have paid for the allocated time slot on the PPV so would be missing out on air time.

Perhaps Fertittas reactions was down to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Aldo via Submission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

In fairness the ufc has been declining in recent times.

But conor has somewhat saved it for a while yet so he does hold the upper hand with regards negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision

could have been a reaction of excitement either as someone said without seeing his face its impossible to tell

Aldo via KO/TKO

Or maybe he had a bet with Lorenzo, or any other number of reasons. Without seeing the look on his face while he's putting the belt down its a bit hard to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    darced wrote: »

I think the smart move for weidman is a shot at 170 if the claims about his walking weight are true, hed clear out the division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Aldo via Submission
    Cain lost because he didn't train properly for the fight, simple as. Rousey could have been on all the gear in the world and she still would have got beat, Holly is stylistically a nightmare. That punch from Conor would drop anyone tbh, just a freak shot...almost like Manny Pac against Hatton those years ago. Weidman, who's to know...he didn't look that great last night, but he did alright...I wouldnt say he was beaten badly, the fight should have been stopped ages before it was, and if it was nobody would be saying he got beaten brutally today.

I think people need to chill on the whole PED thing. It's almost as if any fighter is great he's on gear, and if anyone has a decline they're off the PEDs...there are numerous reasons for a fighter losing. 99 times out of 100, PEDs is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Decision
    Wiedman's spinning kick was atrocious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

McGregor via Decision
    Andre 3000 wrote: »
    I think people need to chill on the whole PED thing. It's almost as if any fighter is great he's on gear, and if anyone has a decline they're off the PEDs...there are numerous reasons for a fighter losing. 99 times out of 100, PEDs is not one of them.

PED's do give a huge advantage if you are on them and others aren't, not sure how bad the drug testing has been and how many have been on them, but you can't deny the impact they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Aldo via Decision
    Weidmann wasn't very marketable at all, known for being a nice but boring guy. Pretty poor ppv numbers despite being so dominant. UFC won't care at all that he lost, probably better for the division that he did, even though I really liked him.

Aldo via Submission
    Inquitus wrote: »
    PED's do give a huge advantage if you are on them and others aren't, not sure how bad the drug testing has been and how many have been on them, but you can't deny the impact they have.

Of course they have an impact, but people implying that it must be PEDs or a lack of for greatness/decline is bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

DeVore wrote: »
    Yeaaaah... not really sure which drug you take to survive a cracking left hook to the jaw. Preparation H?

Im not saying Aldo got clipped because he wasnt taking a particular substance.

But his physique looked different last night, as did Weidmans, as did Rousey, and also Cain had terrible cardio in his last fight, yet for his previous two 5 round wars with JDS he was jumping around like a flyweight in Round 1.

of course, it could be just one big coincidence.

Aldo via KO/TKO
    Im not saying Aldo got clipped because he wasnt taking a particular substance.

But his physique looked different last night, as did Weidmans, as did Rousey, and also Cain had terrible cardio in his last fight, yet for his previous two 5 round wars with JDS he was jumping around like a flyweight in Round 1.

of course, it could be just one big coincidence.

Cain had terrible cardio because he went to Mexico about 5 weeks to late and couldn't adjust to the altitude. He was expecting a walk in the park.

Aldo via Decision
    Andre 3000 wrote: »

When so many of our heroes have tested positive it's pretty hard to not have it in the back of your head. I agree with all your reasons for those results though, Cain didn't give himself long enough to acclimatise, Rousey is just an athletic girl that's great at judo who was bound to face someone with a style that can exploit her weaknesses. For Weidmann it's possible Rockhold is better than him, but I think him shedding all the walk around weight wouldn't have helped things.

Aldo via Decision
    ASOT wrote: »
    Cain had terrible cardio because he went to Mexico about 5 weeks to late and couldn't adjust to the altitude. He was expecting a walk in the park.

It baffles me so much. Cain is all 'brown pride' to the media then when he has an excuse to go to Mexico he delays it for as long as possible.

have to laff at all the yanks and floaters (nobodys who have been around years and never got a shot AKA Journeymen) "definately a rematch" and "aldo is capable of better".... well apparently not for **** sake. Yes it would have been great to see a war but it's like saying, ah lads Aldo would have beaten him if he hadnt of knocked him out first or ah boys I wasn't ready press reset!!!. does it fooking matter if the knockout came in the first or third round, it's actually worse cos your fresh, no fatigue, you're not carrying pain from the previous round etc. No matter what conor mcgregor does some wont give him the credit, cos they dont like his suits, his glasses, his brash attitude etc etc. It's not a fooking popularity contest, it's a fight.
    I was expecting and hoping for a good fight but I'm delighted for him, as we all should. if the shoe was on the other foot, believe me, you think the anti rousey sentiment was bad???????????????????????????? dont be fooled, tons were only waiting to jump on the keyboards and slag him off.

for the record, when you;re standing across from mcgregor and a ref shouts fight, ehh it's exactly that and by nature it can be a war or a short blitz!! ALDO got Blitzed while preparing to do the same!

Aldo via Submission
    When so many of our heroes have tested positive it's pretty hard to not have it in the back of your head. I agree with all your reasons for those results though, Cain didn't give himself long enough to acclimatise, Rousey is just an athletic girl that's great at judo who was bound to face someone with a style that can exploit her weaknesses. For Weidmann it's possible Rockhold is better than him, but I think him shedding all the walk around weight wouldn't have helped things.

I think if people are pointing the finger at those guys then they at least should be pointing at the people who "destroyed" them. Fair is fair after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

There was some sort of irony that Weidman almost goofed around with that spin kick and that was the beginning of the end... like when Anderson goofed around with Weidman and that was the beginning of his end too.

Only Vitor can spin at middleweight. He has Cheesus on his side, bro.

Advertisement