Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Comments

that wasnt aimed at anyone on boards. I've had a bit to drink and was reading the twitter comments from the good ol US & A!!!!

On a different note, dya think he'll get sportsman of the year next saturday?? I cant stand the though of another golfer gettin it!!

tear up the envelope and stick his name on the card I say!! sure that's like winning the all the majors in one year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Aldo via Submission
    rusty cole wrote: »
    that wasnt aimed at anyone on boards. I've had a bit to drink and was reading the twitter comments from the good ol US & A!!!!

On a different note, dya think he'll get sportsman of the year next saturday?? I cant stand the though of another golfer gettin it!!

tear up the envelope and stick his name on the card I say!! sure that's like winning the all the majors in one year!

Either him or Conlon surely. Been a great year for Irish combat sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Aldo via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    I think they should give immediate rematches to close decisions of 5-round wars. Not fights that are ended in the first round. Otherwise when do they NOT give immediate rematches?

If everyone effectively gets a rematch then the belt will only really change hands in a best-of-3 competition. That's going to be at least a year of the number 2 contender not getting a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGregor via Decision
    Any word on why Dana didn't do the post fight press conference last night? Seemed a strange one.

Also, have people seen the video going around of who appears to be Frank Fertitta slamming the belt down after Aldo got finished? :pac:

Now I know it's Front Row Brian, but he raises an interesting discussion point. Obviously he doesn't actually know for sure as he's mostly full of ****e, but he says there's a frosty relationship between UFC top brass and McGregor now as he's getting almost too big and there has also been disagreement over financial demands too. Do you think there's any truth in it?

There could well be easily explainable reasons for these things but they add up - no Dana at the presser, no real interaction (from what I remember) between the UFC top brass and McGregor in the octagon post fight which is strange for one of their stars, McGregor making Sholler redundant by taking the podium at the press conference, McGregor essentially saying he won't be vacating the belt if he decides to step up. Frank slamming the belt down.

Even the more respected media are acknowledging it. Jeremy Botter tweeted earlier that last nights presser was "McGregor making a statement to the UFC brass".

Could we be on for a collision course or is it all a load of crap?

EDIT - here's the video:

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/676147118298505216

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

It baffles me so much. Cain is all 'brown pride' to the media then when he has an excuse to go to Mexico he delays it for as long as possible.

Exactly.

There's no way that not 1 single employee of the world renound AKA gym didnt pull Cain up on this. There was something more sinister going on imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Paully D wrote: »
    Any word on why Dana didn't do the post fight press conference last night? Seemed a strange one.

Also, have people seen the video going around of who appears to be Frank Fertitta slamming the belt down after Aldo got finished? :pac:

Now I know it's Front Row Brian, but he raises an interesting discussion point. Obviously he doesn't actually know for sure as he's mostly full of ****e, but he says there's a frosty relationship between UFC top brass and McGregor now as he's getting almost too big and there has also been disagreement over financial demands too. Do you think there's any truth in it?

There could well be easily explainable reasons for these things but they add up - no Dana at the presser, no real interaction (from what I remember) between the UFC top brass and McGregor in the octagon post fight which is strange for one of their stars, McGregor making Sholler redundant by taking the podium at the press conference, McGregor essentially saying he won't be vacating the belt if he decides to step up. Frank slamming the belt down.

Even the more respected media are acknowledging it. Jeremy Botter tweeted earlier that last nights presser was "McGregor making a statement to the UFC brass".

EDIT - here's the video:

As I said the ufc has been in decline.

Conor has saved them for a few years at least.

They need him badly so I expect he will call the shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Aldo via Submission
    DeVore wrote: »
    I think they should give immediate rematches to close decisions of 5-round wars. Not fights that are ended in the first round. Otherwise when do they NOT give immediate rematches?

If everyone effectively gets a rematch then the belt will only really change hands in a best-of-3 competition. That's going to be at least a year of the number 2 contender not getting a shot!

I think they're needed for absolute freak shots/fights as well...last night being one of them, Silva/Weidman was definitely deserving of a second go too. I don't think Ronda deserves a rematch as she was totally outclassed but fights like last night are a completely different story...complete freak fight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

JustTheOne wrote: »
    As I said the ufc has been in decline.

Conor has saved them for a few years at least.

They need him badly so I expect he will call the shots.

In what way do you think it's been in decline?

Financially they have been posting higher numbers year on year.

I there is a big talent pool with all the top MMA fighters under one roof.

35 fights over 3 days, some of the best match ups I've seen in a long time.

I agree that the UFC need him right now but if Conor is proving too expensive and has unrealistic demands Dana won't hesitate to throw him under the bus, especially if he ever loses. Champions tend to have a short life span in the UFC as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Aldo via Decision

Dana went to Aldo's changing room after the fight. Megan Olivi interiews Dana, while this is happening Conor comes past with Artem and Dee. Dana acknoledges smiles and congratulates all of them giving Conor a half hug. The other fighters are cleared out of the room so that Conor can take centre stage for the second half of the press conference. Sholler is smiling and laughing as Conor takes over the podium.

Totally different perspectives.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    In what way do you think it's been in decline?

Financially they have been posting higher numbers year on year.

I there is a big talent pool with all the top MMA fighters under one roof.

35 fights over 3 days, some of the best match ups I've seen in a long time.

I agree that the UFC need him right now but if Conor is proving too expensive and has unrealistic demands Dana won't hesitate to throw him under the bus, especially if he ever loses. Champions tend to have a short life span in the UFC as of late.

Loads of articles about it and have heard from friends in America that a lot don't watch it anymore. Heres one article.

http://sportsbreach.com/2015/02/24/mma-update-is-the-ufc-losing-its-popularity/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Aldo via Decision
    Is it not getting bigger? Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor are two of the biggest stars ever in the sport, bigger than GSP and Anderson and maybe even Lesnar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

DeVore wrote: »
    Yeaaaah... not really sure which drug you take to survive a cracking left hook to the jaw. Preparation H?
    .ak wrote: »
    Don't really see that in the context of this fight though. We didn't see any sign of poor conditioning or poor rehydration from Aldo, because... Well he went down on the first hit essentially.

It's been said PEDS can contribute to the factors which enable you to have a better chin. Overeem & Bigfoot are two examples recently of guys who were on PEDs and could take a shot, then not so much once off them.

Bigfoot Vs Hunt 1 compared to Bigfoot Vs hunt 2 for example.

Is it not getting bigger? Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor are two of the biggest stars ever in the sport, bigger than GSP and Anderson and maybe even Lesnar.

Thats what I said conor has redeemed it for a few years yet. It was declining ppv numbers were gradually decreasing the last few years.

Loads of articles about it and have heard from friends in America that a lot don't watch it anymore. Heres one article.

Not much of an article tbh. If 194 breaks PPV records I think that's a pretty big counter tbh. I see UFC 200 smashing any previous records too, Conor, Ronda, Jon Jones possibly on the same card?

2015 had such a high turnover of champs, I don't really think it's fair to say it lacks stars because it takes time to build up that image.

Conor obviously transcends what most others are but it's the only game in town with MMA really, that's probably whats holding it back slightly. If there was proper competition it'd force the UFC to really step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Naos wrote: »
    It's been said PEDS can contribute to the factors which enable you to have a better chin. Overeem & Bigfoot are two examples recently of guys who were on PEDs and could take a shot, then not so much once off them.

Bigfoot Vs Hunt 1 compared to Bigfoot Vs hunt 2 for example.
    Don't think overeem ever had much of a chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Are you really citing five paragraphs of drivel from a pathetic blog as proof of the UFC's demise?

Whosthis wrote: »
    Are you really citing five paragraphs of drivel from a pathetic blog as proof of the UFC's demise?

No simple Google will show what I mean.

I just picked a random one.

This is better and backs up what I said about conor redeeming it.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/9/4/9163513/what-the-ufc-pay-per-view-turnaround-does-and-doesnt-mean-for

You link to some random (at least I've never heard of the site) blog article & personal anecdote about your friends in the US?

Okay.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-mma-is-bigger-then-ever-and-still-growing-195031479.html

My friends are talking more about UFC (Well, Conor) than they were last year, so can I conclude from that it's growing?

You link to some random (at least I've never heard of the site) blog article & personal anecdote about your friends in the US?

Okay.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-mma-is-bigger-then-ever-and-still-growing-195031479.html

My friends are talking more about UFC (Well, Conor) than they were last year, so can I conclude from that it's growing?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/9/4/9163513/what-the-ufc-pay-per-view-turnaround-does-and-doesnt-mean-for

• Advertisement

EDIT - here's the video:

I definitely think it was a statement from Conor, doing that whole interview by himself, the way he controlled the room was crazy. I don't think the UFC would have given their blessing to do that if everything wasn't rosy. If they wanted to limit him they would have sent him in with everyone else sat beside the other new champ Rockhold and Sholler would have deflected any tough questions. He's already agreed a new deal.

Frank is most likely just annoyed that it wasn't more of a spectacle. If it had been a 5 round war that would have set up a lucrative rematch but you can't rematch a guy who got dropped in 13 seconds when Frankie has been standing in line for going on 2 years.

I do think his relationship will come under strain with them at some stage. Contrary to what most people think, I don't believe that Dana and Conor are that close. I think Dana is worried by Conor's ambition and the fact that he can't control him and he won't be his lap dog. He seems to have an excellent relationship with Lorenzo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

McGregor via Decision
    Didn't the UFC have a really bad 2014?

Something like a 40% loss in profits.

Here's a quote from the article:
    Between January and the end of July of this year, UFC produced eight pay-per-view events, doing an estimated 3,945,000 buys, or 493,000 per show. That is a whopping 65-percent increase in the estimated per show average. During the same period in 2014, the company did seven events, doing an estimated 2,095,000 buys, or 299,000 buys per show.

Doesn't look like a decline to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

McGregor via Decision
    I agree the UFC and McGregor are going to come to a head. McGregor will wanta bigger and bigger slice of what he brings in and he deserves every cent of it.

Here's a quote from the article:

Doesn't look like a decline to me.

I said it was in decline but has picked up since conors emergence.

There is no denying its profits were down last year.

That was my only point, it was in decline but has bounced back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

UFC 189 + 194 are 2 of the greatest cards ever all thanks to Conor building the events,If it wasnt for him the 2 together would've struggled to do 5 or 600k buys with main events on Weidman Rockhold Rory and Robbie,4 legends but not a bit of personality between the 4 of them.

Gamebred wrote: »
    UFC 189 + 194 are 2 of the greatest cards ever all thanks to Conor building the events,If it wasnt for him the 2 together would've struggled to do 5 or 600k buys with main events on Weidman Rockhold Rory and Robbie,4 legends but not a bit of personality between the 4 of them.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    I'd say one of the main reasons there was a loss in profit last year was to do with the launch of fight pass, costs etc. The exact same thing happened with the wwe network. On the flip side over saturation could be playing a big part in it also. But I'm the grand scheme of things there numbers all across the board are up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

CWJJWTwUwAARUYS.png

Pretty Ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

ASOT wrote: »
    But I'm the grand scheme of things there numbers all across the board are up.

Seems to be.

Advertisement