Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

https://streamable.com/pbk7

This is getting scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Gamebred wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/pbk7

This is getting scary.

Thats mad!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    Its not really all that mad tbh... McGregor has been starching people with that left hook since Cage Warriors. Check out the end of this fight (I've queued it up to the relevant spot).

https://youtu.be/obgm6JNtyVo?t=353

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

McGregor via Decision
    DeVore wrote: »
    Its not really all that mad tbh... McGregor has been starching people with that left hook since Cage Warriors. Check out the end of this fight (I've queued it up to the relevant spot).

"Conor has taken some of that Icelandic Fury to the cage"

Tut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    DeVore wrote: »

was watching this earlier myself, still fights the exact same way only hes sharpened up a bit, media from that fight is exactly the same too. even the few posts he put on on here;
    NOTORIOUS. wrote: »
    And of course i believe in myself,,,i believe in myself more than anything,,,to make it in this game you ave to believe in yourself,, over all else.

no cockiness in it atall just absolute self confidence

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Personally I don't like immediate rematches. Whether it's a 13 second knockout or a 5 round 1 point decision victory I think an immediate rematch just slows everything in that weight class down. In this case you might say it's harsh on Jose Aldo who has been so dominant for so long but I just prefer the idea that if you're beaten (in whatever way it happens) you have to fight to get back to the position you were in.
    We've seen it in recent years where close fights or titles changing hands meant we ended up seeing the same 2 fighters compete repeatedly against each other in consecutive fights. Implementing a 'no immediate rematch' clause might be unfair in some situations but if you're good enough you'll earn the rematch through fighting, and not because you held the belt for x amount of years or x amount of fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Who did McGregor turn to on the walkout? He turns the corner, sticks the tricolour in the air and makes a stance. Presumably Aldo or one of his team?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Aldo via Decision
    Mcgregor vs Faber is gonna be the fight of 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Mcgregor vs Faber is gonna be the fight of 2016.

Wouldn't think so Ted

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Wish there was more sportsmanship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

In what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In regards to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

McGregor via Decision
    I love that over 70 people have voted in the Poll for McGregor KO/TKO since this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

UFC 189 + 194 are 2 of the greatest cards ever all thanks to Conor building the events,If it wasnt for him the 2 together would've struggled to do 5 or 600k buys with main events on Weidman Rockhold Rory and Robbie,4 legends but not a bit of personality between the 4 of them.

So anyone who doesn't talk trash has no personality.

Or for that matter how is it possible to know the fighters personalities from the limited snippets of them talking that we see.

Obviously Conor is money and does increase ppv buys majorly but just because he can sell fights and produce sound bites like a boss doesn't mean everyone else is a boring robot.

mdwexford wrote: »
    So anyone who doesn't talk trash has no personality.

Or for that matter how is it possible to know the fighters personalities from the limited snippets of them talking that we see.

Obviously Conor is money and does increase ppv buys majorly but just because he can sell fights and produce sound bites like a boss doesn't mean everyone else is a boring robot.

The 4 guys in particular are the most bland guys in the sport,same with DJ his numbers are pathetic for such a dominant champion because he has no personality thus he has no right to demand the money I think Conor is demanding and deserving of,

I have actually met 2 of the 4 mentioned and can confirm they have no charisma btw

Not sure what point your making.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Mellor wrote: »
    In regards to what?
    EazyD wrote: »
    In what exactly?
    McGregor's regularly unsportman like jumping over the cage after Dennis Siver fight to intimidate Jose Aldo who was there with his daughter , Calling Dennis Siver a Nazi, I watched the post fight interview and McGregor did praise Jose for being a great fighter but what was all they hype and bull**** for months before hand robbing his belt just generally acting like a prick, at least he didn't do the Tito Ortiz digging the grave and putting him to rest after

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Find your post baffling gamebred,
    Especially seeing that lawler and Macdonald two is a fight for the ages and there first fight at 164 was excellent aswell.Alot of people on here and in the MMA world were shocked that fight was am understudy and not on its own card.
    And a large part of the buys has to go down to aldo being so dominant in the division and everyone wants to see a david slay the goliath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

McGregor's regularly unsportman like jumping over the cage after Dennis Siver fight to intimidate Jose Aldo who was there with his daughter , Calling Dennis Siver a Nazi, I watched the post fight interview and McGregor did praise Jose for being a great fighter but what was all they hype and bull**** for months before hand robbing his belt just generally acting like a prick, at least he didn't do the Tito Ortiz digging the grave and putting him to rest after

It makes money, lots of it for all parties involved and brings higher numbers of viewers into the sport. Can't see that as being a bad thing.

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Find your post baffling gamebred,
    Especially seeing that lawler and Macdonald two is a fight for the ages and there first fight at 164 was excellent aswell.Alot of people on here and in the MMA world were shocked that fight was am understudy and not on its own card.
    And a large part of the buys has to go down to aldo being so dominant in the division and everyone wants to see a david slay the goliath.

so everyone knew beforehand that it was going to be a fight for the ages did they LOL

Honestly what do you think ufc 189 would've done without McGregor?

MacDonald has never even headlined a ppv and lawler has done pretty poorly 3-400k max ppv buys

Without Conor on them 2 cards the ufc lose out on at least 50 million so Conor is deserving of his high demands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

McGregor via Decision
    McGregor's regularly unsportman like jumping over the cage after Dennis Siver fight to intimidate Jose Aldo who was there with his daughter.

That was Conor's niece with the rest of Conor's family, not Aldo's daughter.

Without Conor on them 2 cards the ufc lose out on at least 50 million so Conor is deserving of his high demands.

Conor def added huge value to 189, in the millions. But $50million is too high an estimate imo.

Mellor wrote: »
    Conor def added huge value to 189, in the millions. But $50million is too high an estimate imo.

I mean for that and this card,in ppv buys alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

McGregor via Decision
    So exhausting replying to texts from people who watched this Sport for the first time explaining that the fight wasn't rigged. Some people are idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    Its really your own fault for bothering to respond

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If it was a fix, give Aldo an oscar for those tears that were forming. He really looked genuinely upset!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

McGregor via Decision
    You really must be a complete idiot if you think Aldo took a dive there.

1. Why would he go down in the first minute, let alone the first punch? If it was fixed he'd pick a later round.

2. He's been the only FW champ in the UFC, undefeated for 10 years and one of the best of all time. He'd want to win to keep his legacy.

3. The biggest one of all. He got knocked clean out, as plain as anyone can see. He was absolutely stiff from the left hook and didn't move until a second or two after Conor got off him. You couldn't fake a knockout like that if you were the best actor in the world.

No matter how he wins, people will still find some excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Yeah it had the potential to be.From day one when it was announced people who are avid fans of the sport here and not just mcgregor.you have one great fight under the belt and Rory who was called everything from viscous to a serial killer on the threads before the fight.Then Robbie Lawler's rise back to the top and defence after near a decade away from the ufc.McGregor is the icing on the cake no doubt about that but to say its all about him is doing both cards a major diss service.

Also as an aside there are 13 ppvs that out performed ufc 189.You have to remember people pay north of a 100 quid for these in the us and there not paying just to see McGregor for one round.Again Conor is the 200,000 extra but the strength of the card make the bulk of it IMO

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Photo of Aldo & Mendes post fight doing the rounds at the moment.
    Credit to @SandhuMMA

image.jpg

• Advertisement

I mean for that and this card,in ppv buys alone.

Ah right for both cards combined. I thought you meant for each.
    Say it's +500k ppv buys per card. At $50 a pop, thats $50m total, but i'm not sure how much of that goes to the UFC,

Advertisement