Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Aldo via Decision
    markc2951 wrote: »
    Dana white says he can see conor fighting 3 times in 2016

Ideally it would be

Conor v frankie edgar
    Conor v 155 title holder
    Conor v aldo December 2016

Bad news for the cut above his eye,looks a bit vulnerable now and he got one dig there from Aldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    Aldo's legacy will be forgotten? Are you high?

Never has there been a more dominant champion ffs

Irish fans do my tits in sometimes you know, Conor may well go down as the best featherweight to grace the UFC but it will not make anybody (who actually has an interest in MMA itself!) forget about Aldo's legacy

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    Gamb!t wrote: »
    Bad news for the cut above his eye,looks a bit vulnerable now and he got one dig there from Aldo.

It opened up in training with a clash of heads before the fight so he got a quick job to patch it up, he said in an interview yesterday he's getting a proper job done on it now that he has a bit of time off, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's in the stupid area though, Sanchez is plagued by his.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Aldo's legacy will be forgotten? Are you high?

Never has there been a more dominant champion ffs

Irish fans do my tits in sometimes you know, Conor may well go down as the best featherweight to grace the UFC but it will not make anybody (who actually has an interest in MMA itself!) forget about Aldo's legacy

Time will tell,its an opinion fair enough if you disagree im not going to argue about it as I said I wont forget his reign but many people will.

Aldo via Decision
    Call me nuts, but I think a compromise could be reached if McGregor is determined to go up and keep the belt, I hate interim belts being created but since they created the one for McGregor for the entire reason of keeping UFC 189 going then they could surely create another one to have Edgar fight for, against Aldo possibly if McGregor wants to go try to win the lightweight belt.

If Edgar wins he gets a belt and still has hit shot to unify the division, if Aldo wins he gets his rematch to unify the belts again and McGregor gets to taunt and tease them both for having a fake belt (forgetting that he had it and legitimately claimed it also :))

It keeps all parties somewhat happy I would think?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

As Joe Rogan said right after the fight it most definatly was a fight, it was just a fight that was over in 13 seconds!

I am a mcgreggor fan but after seeing the way he conducted business in that fight has me in awe of how frightenly good this man is in that octagon. I don't think we have seen his best work yet. The man described how the fight was going to go down and it just so happened that Aldo made the mistake so early in the fight. Conor saw this, acted and became champion! I had to watch it in slow motion as initially I thought also just slipped and fell but what a left to the chin by connor!!! How anyone can belittle this is beyond me. I was amused to see comments saying "never mind aldo, edgar will be the test" bull****, for some people connor will never be able to do enough but jokes on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Aldo via Decision
    Anybody at the after party? :D

I keep watching the highlights because blink and you'll miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Aldo via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    You have to question Aldo's (or Aldo's corners) fight IQ for coming out swinging. I mean, he was seriously swinging too.

Go back and look at the footage, really look at it. Slow it down and look frame by frame because its instructive. There is a video of the knockout here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2598888-jose-aldo-vs-conor-mcgregor-knockout-draws-negative-reaction-in-brazilian-media

With the exception of when he connects with McGregors head, Aldo's hand never rise above his own shoulders, which by that time are considerably lower than McGregors because Aldo is loading up on his legs. He fires his punches almost from his hips, especially the ill fated right (which doesn't really connect with anything other than Conors chest). When the left hook comes in from Conor, freeze it there (11 seconds into that video) and Aldos upper arm is directly down his body and his elbow makes a 90 degree angle with it. No defence and poor offence from there.

This is woeful technique especially against someone know for fighting on the rear foot. Its bad strategy coupled with bad tactics and bad technique.
    Why go into it swinging with a counter puncher who has "questionable" ground game. Why not go to your best weapon of Muay Thai kicks to Conor's wide stance and take out his lead leg. Kill his movement which takes away a big part of his game (as per Aldo vs Faber). The only reason not to kick is if you are fighting a wrestler who might take you down... that's not going to happen here and anyway, Aldo did it just fine against other wrestlers (Mendes, Faber etc).

Its baffling that Aldo would just run across the cage, chin stuck out swinging wildly. For clarity, I'm by no means in the "it was a fix camp" lol... that's just bonkers talk, but I *am* questioning Aldo's mental state and his fight IQ because that has to be one of the dumbest moves ever made inside the octagon.

The only explanation is what Conor said in fact, he was so wound up that he telegraphed his big loaded-up punches, threw caution to the wind, over extended himself because of emotion and saw red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

ScumLord wrote: »
    Aldo made an aweful cock of that fight. Connor's hands are lethal, that's the one thing he's proven over and over again. I was expecting that to be a war, it's pretty disappointing to see it end so quick but you just can't take risks like that around a fighter with conner's level of boxing skills.

I'd like to see a rematch at some stage, I do think Aldo can put up a good fight.

I'd like to see a rematch too but I don't think it should be Aldo's next fight. He had a 15 month gap between this fight and his last and needs to prove that he is actually a serious contender for the belt and not just being given a shot because of his previous record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

McGregor via Decision
    Knex. wrote: »
    Rockhold managed around 92 strikes while in mount for 1 minute and 9 seconds, at the end of the third round, apparently.

No idea how it wasn't stopped. Also not sure how Weidman actually stayed conscious.

That was the most viscous beating ive seen in a long while, had to be stopped.

I felt sorry after seing Joe Rogan even trying to get any words out of the guy. He wad in absolute bits and just standing there. Should have been ****ing stretchered out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Aldo via Submission
    rusty cole wrote: »
    yeah im getting annoyed with idiots saying ah that wasn't a fight. so a huge promotion, a record of knockout wins, a year in the making and on and on... then a ref in the middle, the world holds its breath... fro 13 seconds!!!

if you dont know you're in a fight at that stage, when de fcuk do ya?? aldo knew the stakes, as did all of us. we just did not expect it to end as quick or clean!! fools rush in as they say, he simply didnt think conor had anything for him! bad planning played a huge part. I was surprised he didnt start with leg licks to be fair.

I'd imagine Aldo's opening combo was to setup a leg kick. If he wasn't knocked unconscious I'd say that hook would've been followed by a leg kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

I'd imagine Aldo's opening combo was to setup a leg kick. If he wasn't knocked unconscious I'd say that hook would've been followed by a leg kick.

I agree, and look at conors stance! his leg was asking for a kick

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thebigredone

What a great result it was, I couldn't be happier for Conor. After all the drama and commotion, the title is his!Amazing stuff! If he was an American fighter and I was watching I'd think he was a lunatic, it's hard to fathom Ireland has a superstar and a character like this on its hands!

Even though Conor's a far classier guy than he often gets credit for, I can't see an Aldo rematch being high up the agenda for him or the UFC top brass. I'm sure I've seen post here referring to Aldo not bringing in big viewing numbers and with his history of pulling out of/postponing fights, I'm sure they'd rather let Edgar step up, and Aldo without the privilege of being champ anymore has to earn his next shot like everyone else.

Ah for feck sake lads, spoilers please. Didn't know McGregor won this :mad:

lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Call me nuts, but I think a compromise could be reached if McGregor is determined to go up and keep the belt, I hate interim belts being created but since they created the one for McGregor for the entire reason of keeping UFC 189 going then they could surely create another one to have Edgar fight for, against Aldo possibly if McGregor wants to go try to win the lightweight belt.

If Edgar wins he gets a belt and still has hit shot to unify the division, if Aldo wins he gets his rematch to unify the belts again and McGregor gets to taunt and tease them both for having a fake belt (forgetting that he had it and legitimately claimed it also :))

It keeps all parties somewhat happy I would think?

terrible idea. interim belts are given only when absolutely necessary and not to flatter or facilitate someone's personal ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Decision
    Gamebred wrote: »
    When he ko's Edgar he will safely go down as the best 145er of all time,Aldos legacy will be sadly forgotten about IMO,I will look kindly on Jose's career but I fear history wont.

My god, you can not be serious.

Aldo via Decision
    terrible idea. interim belts are given only when absolutely necessary and not to flatter or facilitate someone's personal ambitions.

But they are not given out only when absolutely necessary as McGregor and Mendes fighting for one proves.

I was appalled at that decision, but since the precedent is now there then I can envisage it being an option they will seriously consider.

John_D80 wrote: »

he is the joke of social media,his 10 years mean absolutely nothing people are tearing him apart same way rondas legacy disappeared in 2 rounds,nobody remembers her wins already,shes an internet meme same way aldo will end up being IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Aldo via Submission
    When he ko's Edgar he will safely go down as the best 145er of all time,Aldos legacy will be sadly forgotten about IMO,I will look kindly on Jose's career but I fear history wont.

Probably the worst post in the history of Internet forums. Not even exaggerating.

• Advertisement

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Probably the worst post in the history of Internet forums. Not even exaggerating.

Ronda Rousey even more dominant and forgotten about over night,yeah real hard to believe aldo wont get the credit he deserves :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

John_D80 wrote: »

His legacy most definitely won't be forgotten but perhaps slightly tainted given the manner within which he lost. I do hope he comes back though while age is still on his side.

I predicted before the fight on here he will be remembered as part of Conors Highlight reel and im sticking to that,he wont be that guy who went undefeated for 10 years he will be the man who got knocked unconcious inside 13 seconds by Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

But they are not given out only when absolutely necessary as McGregor and Mendes fighting for one proves.

I was appalled at that decision, but since the precedent is now there then I can envisage it being an option they will seriously consider.

i know what you mean, but it was still because Aldo got injured and therefore couldn't defend it and hadn't defended the title in close to a year. it was a small price to pay to keep the hype alive.

What you are suggesting is like saying "too busy lads, have an interim one. once i'm done here i'll come round and kick your asses too". Makes a mockery of the whole thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Aldo via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

10.1 million gate says otherwise.

Don't get me wrong. I like the guy. He seems to think deeply and broadly about things which i find admirable. And i like how he knows his own mind and how committed he is. To see that discipline coupled to that belief is inspirational.
    And i've always thought he is insanely talented. His movement is incredible.

I just think, why is there a need to overdo the other stuff. His talent doesn't seem to need it IMO.
    A bit of colour and personality is great but he can go too far with the taunts IMO (referencing Brazilian heritage, Nazi stuff etc). Just seems a bit juvenile. Don't think Ali ever said anything like that in his time.

Otherwise the guy is an exceptional talent and i can't see anyone threatening him for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Aldo via Submission
    Ronda Rousey even more dominant and forgotten about over night,yeah real hard to believe aldo wont get the credit he deserves :rolleyes:

Nobody has forgotten Ronda, don't be so stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

This place needs....vetting or something sometimes....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Aldo via Decision
    I predicted before the fight on here he will be remembered as part of Conors Highlight reel and im sticking to that,he wont be that guy who went undefeated for 10 years he will be the man who got knocked unconcious inside 13 seconds by Conor McGregor.

Well this is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

This place needs....vetting or something sometimes....

Make it a closed club then? That'll definitely attract more viewers and fans to the sport. I don't agree with what a lot of people say on here but it's called respecting other opinions.

Advertisement