Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Gamebred wrote: »
    in your opinion that is,in my opinion her wins have been forgotten about the first striker she encountered she was destroyed,she was fighting people who took up mma to lose weight previously,her high ranking status in mma is no more.

You love mentioning Bethe. That statement refers to one person, the rest of her opponents didn't take up MA to lose weight I'm fairly sure (at least not as a primary reason).

Aldo and Rousey will remain as greats, as will their legacies, to actual fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You love mentioning Bethe. That statement refers to one person, the rest of her opponents didn't take up MA to lose weight I'm fairly sure (at least not as a primary reason).

Aldo and Rousey will remain as greats, as will their legacies, to actual fans.

Her best win was beating fellow olympian in McMann,its not her fault this level of competetion was in front of her,anyways womens mma is awful standard not even worth discussing in terms of talent when it comes to the people Aldo did beat,who the very worst of have more ability than all rr oppenents added together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Decision
    His best win was frankie edgar in the ufc which he won by 1 round I think,wins against bums like korean zombie and ricardo lamas mark homnick even chad mendes and kenny florian hold very little weight IMO,same way Conors wins over siver brimmage brandao for example mean nowt.

Seriously mate? If Aldo is such a dud in your eyes, then why do you think Conor is so great for beating him? According to your logic, Aldo only beat bums.

Mcgregor beat Mendes too so does that mean Mcgregor's victory over him was not special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Aldo via Submission
    Mendes and Lamas are two rookies,singular in their approach the same way brimmage and brandao are,they rank along side siver as journeymen in the mma world who will never win a title.

rook·ie (ro͝ok′ē)
    n.
    1. Slang
    a. An untrained or inexperienced recruit, as in the army or police.
    b. An inexperienced person; a novice.
    2. Sports A first-year player, especially in a professional sport.

Mendes:
    Mendes made his UFC debut against returning veteran and judo black belt Michihiro Omigawa on February 5, 2011 at UFC 126
    Chad has been in the UFC alone for nearly 5 years, with 12 fights since then....but yeah a rookie.

Lamas:
    In his UFC debut, Lamas faced returning UFC veteran Matt Grice in a featherweight bout on June 26, 2011 at UFC on Versus 4
    Lamas has been in the UFC over 4 years, with 9 fights since then...but yeah a rookie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Aldo via Submission
    I met a crazy homeless guy on the strip who made more sense than this shït...

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    Knex. wrote: »
    On the same night as Weidman's wheel kick attempt, its not even close :pac:
    I did say "one of the dumbest" :p

But things like Weidmans kick or Chaels spinning elbow, those are stupid mistakes made in the hear of the fight. Aldo clearly came out to stand and trade and indeed bang with McGregor. That's a preconceived plan... It would be like if Weidmans corner told him before the fight, "lets finish this with spinning wheel kicks, that's Rockholds weakness! Go For It!" :):)

John_D80 wrote: »
    Seriously mate? If Aldo is such a dud in your eyes, then why do you think Conor is so great for beating him?

I was not surprised in how quick he ko'd him,I knew he'd highlight reel him and thats what he done,Conor is the greatest fighter on the planet at his weight,hes so far ahead of the game its not even right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Lads, there's too many insults flying around here lately. This is supposed to be a welcoming forum. If you have a problem with a post, report it. Or reply in a civil manner. Attack the post, not the poster.

Gamebred, I'm not entirely convinced you're not trolling tbh. There's a very thin line between having an unpopular opinion and baiting. Tread it carefully please.

Her best win was beating fellow olympian in McMann,its not her fault this level of competetion was in front of her,anyways womens mma is awful standard not even worth discussing in terms of talent when it comes to the people Aldo did beat,who the very worst of have more ability than all rr oppenents added together.

Womens MMA is still in it's infancy IMO, the mens divisions have had a bit of a headstart.

Of course they did, you can't even try to compare men v women in MMA. I still wouldn't fancy having a run in with them though.

Oh and LOL at Mendes being labelled a rookie, probably one of the best wrestlers in the UFC.

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    rook·ie (ro͝ok′ē)
    n.
    b. An inexperienced person; a novice.

Nail on the head,aboslute novices in the striking game as Conor has said numberous times,Mendes and Lamas would be schooled by most decent Amatuer boxers they are wrestlers with over hand rights complete novices in unarmed combat and singular in their approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision
    I don't get it, Aldo and Rousey will be forgotten about cause they lost?

Does that mean everyone will forget about Fedor, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn etc etc cause of the way they lost too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Decision
    I was not surprised in how quick he ko'd him,I knew he'd highlight reel him and thats what he done,Conor is the greatest fighter on the planet at his weight,hes so far ahead of the game its not even right.

But in your last few you basically called everyone he has fought in the UFC a bum, with exception of Holloway Poirier!! How can you figure him to be the best ever even by your own logic?

You clearly just said a few posts ago that Aldo was overrated and Mendes was a Rookie!!!

If thats true, what does that make Conor?

Nail on the head,aboslute novices in the striking game as Conor has said numberous times,Mendes and Lamas would be schooled by most decent Amatuer boxers they are wrestlers with over hand rights complete novices in armbed combat and singular in their approach.
    I don't even know where to start with that statement....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    one lost fight isnt going to ruin aldos legacy its what comes next! could just be the start of part two he is only 29, also that one fight is after concreting mcgregors, he talks his ****, sells his fight, says what hes going to do and does it. Then when all is said and done hes a gent. really shows what absolute self belief and determination can do! Not gunna come out and say its the greatest sporting achievement in the history of our great nation but its up there, and for some people it will be. McGregor is an inspiration and I am proud to have been born on the same soil as him. 'Mon Ireland!

John_D80 wrote: »
    But in your last few you basically called everyone he has fought in the UFC a bum, with exception of Holloway Poirier!! How can you figure him to be the best ever even by your own logic?

You clearly just said a few posts ago that Aldo was overrated and Mendes was a Rookie!!!

If thats true, what does that make Conor?

It makes him in a league of his own in comparison to any of these seen as he ko'd every single one of them stiff with such ease bar Max due to injury.

I don't even know where to start with that statement....

Give it your best go my friend,tell me how Mendes and Lamas are great mma fighters,they are average at best,chad is a body builder wrestler and lamas isnt even worth mentioning in this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    Nail on the head,aboslute novices in the striking game as Conor has said numberous times,Mendes and Lamas would be schooled by most decent Amatuer boxers they are wrestlers with over hand rights complete novices in armbed combat and singular in their approach.

Armed combat.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

https://twitter.com/joerogan/status/676436966322253824

Deadly! :D Between Joe, Luke's monday morning analyst and Ariel's MMA hour there will be a lot of reaction to listen to this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

McGregor via Decision
    Give it your best go my friend,tell me how Mendes and Lamas are great mma fighters,they are average at best,chad is a body builder wrestler and lamas isnt even worth mentioning in this conversation.

Your posts are reminding me of this great sketch.....

ASOT wrote: »
    Armed combat.......

Lets not go all spelling police,You catch my drift although when fighting Conor some sort of weapon should be allowed to make it fair.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Decision
    TheTownie wrote: »

Deadly! :D Between Joe, Luke's monday morning analyst and Ariel's MMA hour there will be a lot of reaction to listen to this evening!

Severemma podcast out soon too should be a good night of listening ahead!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

..Conor is the greatest fighter on the planet at his weight..

Until the next time he's beaten? Don't worry, we'll all forget about him quickly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Very anti climatic finish in the Aldo fight. Was hoping for a war. Not a whole lot really to be Said bout it. Only wow

The gunnar maia Jesus that was complete dominance. Damien is scary. Has there ever been fight where judges scored so many 25/30 ?

Interesting how much rope conor is being given, looks like he's in complete control of what he does. Picks who he fights and what division. Seen video where Dana said jc don't want conor doing a cut to 145 again. Sanchez claims conor weighed 174 fight day. Not sure if true or not. Jesus if win lw belt I can see him looking for ww belt. It's crazy never before has UFC allowed anyone attempt to hold two titles or vacate their title to go up a division.

Forgot to add impressed the way conor said ko's like that just happens and would give Aldo a rematch. As if to say Aldo didn't get proper chance

Well to keep it short: By your train of thought, Conor is a novice also. He is an exceptional striker but probably a mediocre at best wrestler compared to Mendes.

I'm a big Aldo and McGregor fan btw but to call Mendes and Lamas rookies is a bit much.
    I agree in that their striking isn't even close to McGregor's but they're not novices by any stretch. MMA is about more than striking.

McGregor via Decision
    TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Until the next time he's beaten? Don't worry, we'll all forget about him quickly afterwards.

who at 145 do you think can beat him?

TherapyBoy wrote: »

He wont lose another fight beforehe retires,he is light years ahead of the opposition,he has wiped out a division with k.o after k.o something the Aldo coundnt do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

TheTownie wrote: »

3e will have their record viewership tonight too as they're repeating UFC194 at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Some Aldo quotes from interview with Combate. Like any Aldo interview theres a possibility of mis-translation.
    "It still is too hard to digest," Aldo told Combate a day after losing to "The Notorious" in just 13 seconds. "We trained hard, did everything right, and the result wasn’t positive. It takes a while for us to digest, but it’s part (of the sport). It’s a sport and we have to accept."

Aldo admits he already watched the fight, and also remembers his decision to attack with a combination, creating an opportunity for McGregor to counter.

"So, there wasn’t even a fight, right? Only 13 seconds," he said. "And I also remember when I came in, how I tried to punch. But, man, it’s hard to say know if it’s (his) success or (my) mistake. It’s a quick decision, and he was able to connect a good punch when I tried a combination."

Following nine successful title defenses in WEC and UFC, Aldo thinks he deserves an immediate rematch. They spoke with UFC president Dana White right after the contest, but have yet to discuss his future.

"We spoke (with Dana White) right after. But I think it’s too soon to talk," he said. "Of course, I want a rematch, and I think I have this right. Not only me, but my career speaks for itself."

"It wasn’t this time, but we will come out victorious, for sure," he added. "It’s a sport, we have to accept. Not only from wins you live your life. That makes us stronger. Way stronger. You can be sure that we will come back stronger, more champion than I was before."

Well to keep it short: By your train of thought, Conor is a novice also. He is an exceptional striker but probably a mediocre at best wrestler compared to Mendes.

I'm a big Aldo and McGregor fan btw but to call Mendes and Lamas rookies is a bit much.
    I agree in that their striking isn't even close to McGregor's but they're not novices by any stretch. MMA is about more than striking.

Conors wrestling and jiu jitsu is not mediocre thats where your wrong my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Don't post in here very often but would like to join in the celebrations. Was relatively confident he could get the win but did not expect it to be done in such an emphatic manner. Its really pretty amazing that we now have one of the greatest fighters ever, from our little country. The exchange was a thing of beauty. Feels the range with left right combo and the teep. Then the counter left cross while avoiding Aldos left hand. Beautiful. Masterclass in counter punching. Congrats to everyone concerned, Conor, his family, team etc... This is our generations Italia 90, I don't care what the detractors say.

Advertisement