Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Aldo via Submission
    Big fan of Khabib, would love to see him make a recovery. Highly unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Big fan of Khabib, would love to see him make a recovery. Highly unlikely though.

He's on the mma hour now in a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

McGregor via Decision
    Does anybody know exactly how much weight he lost on fight week and how much popped back on post weigh in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Gamebred wrote: »
    Pretty wise decision on Conors behalf of not opening up with a kick as he usually does,think thats gone unnoticed.

Yeah said that before the fight.

But was still thinking he would try something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    So if he was to fight Frankie at 145 in July after beating RDA/Cowboy in March/April, would he be willing to put both belts on the line? Or would the UFC even let that happen?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

So if he was to fight Frankie at 145 in July after beating RDA/Cowboy in March/April, would he be willing to put both belts on the line? Or would the UFC even let that happen?

You can't fight in two different weight classes at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Gamebred wrote: »
    Conor with no extreme weight cut is a scary scary prospect,in a 5 round fight he will get his chance to tee off and when he does its game over,Khabib on paper would be the biggest danger alongside RDA,but id expect him to finish both.

Cowboy got lit on fire by nate diaz he would be ko'd stiff inside a round hes mentally weak too which wouldnt help,pettis too would turn into a panic wrestler when hes backed up against the cage and no kicks to use.

This is kind of embarrassing. You're just copying everything McGregor says word for word.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Spoken like a true champ, the man is arguably the most all round skilled fighter in the history of it and though I think it will be a huge challenge to come back from something like that if there is anyone who can do it it's him.

This is as silly as saying his reputation is ruined because of this loss. The use of arguably doesn’t cover up something that has so little to base it on.

His comments since the fight aren’t the sign of a true champ, more someone with little class. Fans pointing to him being mistranslated post Rogan and he comes out with similar again. Still waiting for him to congratulate McGregor and made no attempt to do so in the ring (despite McGregor looking/motioning to him a few times).
    I think his frosty relationship with the UFC brass will mean there is zero chance for an immediate rematch, and though I think he certainly deserves one if Rondao is getting one (completely outclassed) it might be better for him to build up to it again, he will have been basically 2 years out of the octagon the next time he fights, 13 seconds isn't enough time to keep the rust away :)

It has little to do with his frosty relationship, more so that he got knocked out clean in 13 seconds after a 16 month buildup to the fight. His own history of backing out of fights also plays against him here, why risk doing another 6 months of promotion for him to pull out again and have to wait another 6 months for the fight. If McGregor stays at featherweight he is much more deserving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

McGregor via Decision
    'Is this my mistake or his success?'
    - Aldo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Aldo via Decision
    I think Conor would do well at 155 but it's a lot more challenging imo. He won't have to make the death cut but he'll be fighting people who in the cage could be 185/190+ which is a very different fight. His striking is still head and shoulders above the others but size makes a huge difference in wrestling and this is where 155 becomes a much bigger challenge for him imo.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong. I like the guy. He seems to think deeply and broadly about things which i find admirable. And i like how he knows his own mind and how committed he is. To see that discipline coupled to that belief is inspirational.
    And i've always thought he is insanely talented. His movement is incredible.

I just think, why is there a need to overdo the other stuff. His talent doesn't seem to need it IMO.
    A bit of colour and personality is great but he can go too far with the taunts IMO (referencing Brazilian heritage, Nazi stuff etc). Just seems a bit juvenile. Don't think Ali ever said anything like that in his time.

Otherwise the guy is an exceptional talent and i can't see anyone threatening him for a long time.

when ali became part of the black Muslims he was an arsehole double standard mouth piece. white devils he called us!! I never liked ali the philosopher!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

ComfortKid wrote: »
    You can't fight in two different weight classes at the same time

What happened when Penn when he went up to fight GSP for title? He not hold lightweight belt then too? Or was it a case he had to give it up if he had won?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

jjdonegal wrote: »
    What happened when Penn when he went up to fight GSP for title? He not hold lightweight belt then too? Or was it a case he had to give it up if he had won?

He means both belts cant be on the line in a single fight. Not that you can't hold 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

McGregor via Decision
    py2006 wrote: »
    What time is the Aldo Mcgregor fight on 3e tonight?

Do ye think Aldo will last longer this time??

starts at 9:00, finishes at 9:00:13

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Decision
    Is it just me or did the Mendes fight seem a bigger occasion....not being clever after the fact but it just felt like more of a journey into the unknown (for McGregor) ....the whole atmosphere on that night just that bit more intense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I think Conor would do well at 155 but it's a lot more challenging imo. He won't have to make the death cut but he'll be fighting people who in the cage could be 185/190+ which is a very different fight. His striking is still head and shoulders above the others but size makes a huge difference in wrestling and this is where 155 becomes a much bigger challenge for him imo.

Diego Sanchez said Conor was 174 in the ring. He could easily be 180+ in the ring in lightweight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Is it just me or did the Mendes fight seem a bigger occasion....not being clever after the fact but it just felt like more of a journey into the unknown (for McGregor) ....the whole atmosphere on that night just that bit more intense

Yup, I felt the same. Said it to my GF just before the Weidman/Rockhold fight. Didn't seem to be the same atmosphere.

Also it didn't feel/sound like there was that much Irish in the crowd. Not much chanting, I thought there'd be a lot more Ole Ole Ole / Uh vai morrer going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

McGregor via Decision
    on a side note, really looking forward to seeing that Weidman, Rockhold fight again. That was epic viewing, in a brutalistic sadistic type of way!! But the first round and a half were a great battle, which has been lost in the hysteria of Weidmans moment of stupidity and its aftermath!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Don't see people's issue with Aldo saying not sure if it was my mistake or his success. He'd been ko'd for 1st time in his life.

Also I read he said conor won the battle but not the war and he'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

McGregor via Decision
    bur wrote: »
    CWJJWTwUwAARUYS.png

And that was the mistake he made.

The translation is a little bit off there, but it makes all the difference.

"KO. The first one I land I will have been KO'd"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Aldo via Decision
    BOHtox wrote: »
    Diego Sanchez said Conor was 174 in the ring. He could easily be 180+ in the ring in lightweight

Then he's a completely different fighter. If he adds 10lbs of muscle he needs much more oxygen to keep him going, loses speed and cardio as a result. That's not to say he couldn't still do it but when you're 174 in the ring and fighting guys who are 5'6 160 in the ring it's a different ball game to guys your size or bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Naos wrote: »
    Yup, I felt the same. Said it to my GF just before the Weidman/Rockhold fight. Didn't seem to be the same atmosphere.

Also it didn't feel/sound like there was that much Irish in the crowd. Not much chanting, I thought there'd be a lot more Ole Ole Ole / Uh vai morrer going.
    i've noticed that before too, it must be fan fatigue! Long oul week i'd say!

Aldo via Submission
    Could be that the new arena just isn't as loud as the old one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

sonofenoch wrote: »

Thought this too.

Even conor and his families celebration after wasn't as exciting looking.

There was also no footage just before the fight. It just all of a sudden started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Naos wrote: »

I was at both. Definitely more Irish at/around 189. I think Gunner losing knocked the wind out of the crowd a bit and despite the fights before the co-main being good for 194, they didn’t match the finishes of 189, where they had everyone on their feet repeatedly.

Plenty of chanting going on but I felt nerves were a much greater factor for the crowd in the lead up and with the shortness of the fight it meant there wasn’t enough time to really rally behind him. I think the release of nerves exploded in a celebration that was on a bigger scale than post Mendes though.

Brazilian fans were totally swallowed up by the number of Irish, even 50-1 would be understating it.

EDIT: In case it didn’t sound like it, it was still one of the best sporting atmospheres I’ve attended and an honour to be there in person to see the first Irish champ crowned. Like all the UFC trips I’ve taken it was worth every penny!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision
    Could be that the new arena just isn't as loud as the old one?

New arena?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

McGregor via Decision
    py2006 wrote: »
    'Is this my mistake or his success?'
    - Aldo

Its bolloxology, everytime anyone got knocked out they made a mistake, part of being a champ is not making mistakes, both headline events were ended by mistakes, one an ill thought out spinning kick and the other an ill-advised combo that ended with Aldo propelling his chin onto McGregors left fist.

Aldo via Submission
    xtal191 wrote: »
    New arena?

Never mind, it was in the Garden, I thought the AEG was already open for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

xtal191 wrote: »
    New arena?

Theyre building a new arena at the MGM but wont be ready for a few more months

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM_-_AEG_Arena

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Aldo via Decision
    wylie wrote: »
    Anyone else think there is some tension between Conor and Dana?
    No,what gives you that Impression,if anything hes delighted with Conor,he's contributing in making the UFC millions.

Advertisement