Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

''I have a deep sense of loss at this moment. Not only because of Jose Aldo’s belt, but mainly because of the lack of respect to our great champion, who maintained the UFC belt for four years and seven months, for seven fights (not counting his almost two years and three fights with the WEC title). I got back (to Brazil) and saw comments from people that certainly don’t know anything about fighting. And if they do, they never got anywhere, because those who achieved something in our sport know how hard is to compete at the highest level, against athletes from all over the world, and defeat them for many years.

When Brazil had no other champion, in a tense moment, Aldo maintained his title. After that, two other Brazilians joined him, maintaining the fame and recognition of the country in MMA. The only thing I ask everyone is respect to our great champion. For those who say it was fixed, I’d rather not comment, because they don’t deserve time and attention.

Last Saturday, Jose Aldo lost his belt in a fight in which he couldn’t show how well trained and prepared psychologically he was. There was no taunting that could enter his head, there was no technical failure, just an unusual blow. A blow like that, connecting in someone’s chin while moving forward, isn’t something that happens all the time. But it has happened with us. If it was the opposite, with McGregor being punched in the chin and Aldo in the eyebrow, we would be calling Aldo a superchampion today, the best of all times, but this is how sports are. Better luck for McGregor, who won and, therefore, is the new champion.

We need to understand that Jose Aldo is a human being subject to defeats, like any other. Those who show up criticizing him should think: this guy came from Manaus to Rio with nothing, to live in a gym, sleep on the mat, and wake up late so he wouldn’t starve since he had no money to have breakfast. He got where he were, always believing he would be a champion, and became one, due to hard work and dedication. The people’s champion.

Would those who are out there criticizing, talking about embarrassment, have the courage to do what he did? I bet not. If they did, they would know how hard is to win in a country where it’s rare to have support to sports. My message to critics is this: get up from the chair, get out from the computer, drop the phone, and do better. We need more people like Aldo and less critics from the couch.

The king has left, but will be back shortly.

Andre Pederneiras, Nova Uniao leader. More than a team, a family!''

Very worrying for Aldo,if they keep wanting to put that KO down to Conor being lucky hes going to come into a potential rematch the same and suffer the same faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I find it very frustrating that had it been reversed Aldo would have been "a superchampion, the best of all time". Yet McGregor was just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

DeVore wrote: »
    Seriously the "Fertitta" reaction thing? Complete nonsense imho. He rises out of his seat and puts his hands up in surprise, then presumably realises he is holding the belt and brings it down pretty quick. I cant see how people read anything into it... how?

Why did you put Fertitta in inverted commas, are you implying he's not a real Fertitta? :)

I can see how/why people are reading into it but it's inconclusive at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Bigger issue is keeping both divisions active. Aldo fought 6 times in the last 4 years. If someone with that low level of activity held two belts it would mean a title fight in a division once every 16 months.

Add in the risk for a major injury and you’d have two divisions backed up with interim belts long term. It’s a huge risk that is really only an option for someone who is as big a draw as McGregor.

Does this raise another question of is there enough divisions?
    Absolutely no one wants it to lead to boxing where there's about 20 divisions and several organisations.

The UFC is getting more popular, there's a bigger roster, there's more events and it's growing in the world massively. But the amount of champions remains the same. Are title fights too sparse?

Should UFC go to, for instance), 125 (Flyweight), 135 (Bantamweight), 145 (Featherweight), 155 (Lightweight), 165 (New Welterweight weight), 175 (Super Welterweight), 185 (Middleweight), 195 (Super-Middleweight), 205 (Light Heavyweight) and 265 (Heavyweight)?

For now it's fine, imo, the way it is but down the road, maybe even in a few short years, this might have to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

McGregor via Decision
    How do I catch the Joe Rogan podcast? Any link? The earlier youtube link says its offline?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    How do I catch the Joe Rogan podcast? Any link? The earlier youtube link says its offline?

It's over. It'll be on the youtube channel soon available for download as a podcast tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hazys wrote: »
    I don't understand the UFC's reluctance to allow people have 2 belts. It'd just make Conor a mega star on a greater scale.

Imagine Conor wins the LW belt and Edgar wins the FW belt only because its vacated. Nobody will give a fcuk about Edgar and the belt he won only because Conor gave it up, while Conor having two belts would be massive.

Less championship fights for both divisions. The more title fights = more money. That's primary reason. It also messes up the que system, means some fighters might have to wait a year to challenge for the title even though they are #1 contender.

• Company Representative Posts: 64 Verified rep JohnSBG

A quick message to say during down time over the last few weeks preparation I checked out some of this thread and found it very entertaining. Thanks and regardless who you were supporting it's great to see the level of interest and passion you guys have, keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

JohnSBG wrote: »
    A quick message to say during down time over the last few weeks preparation I checked out some of this thread and found it very entertaining. Thanks and regardless who you were supporting it's great to see the level of interest and passion you guys have, keep it up!

Well done on everything, hard work and commitment really paying off. Well deserved to all concerned

I gave a fist pump going by your gym yesterday and proceeded to fall off my bike making a total tit of myself in the meantime...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Well done on everything, hard work and commitment really paying off. Well deserved to all concerned

I gave a fist pump going by your gym yesterday and proceeded to fall off my bike making a total tit of myself in the meantime...

A fist bump to who? That not John Kavanagh above is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    A fist bump to who? That not John Kavanagh above is it?

Seems to be. And I meant a fist pump, as in I punched the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Aldo via Submission
    That's not Kavanagh, he actually has an existing account and that's not it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Aldo via Submission
    This is Kavanagh.

http://touch.boards.ie/user/36112

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

McGregor via Decision

Not worth it in my opinion. I love the way Joe thinks and his theories on the Universe are fascinating to me, but holy sh1t... that podcast was poor. He showed YouTube videos where the Irish fans were just having a bit of craic and singing at the MGM (very similar to the Football atmosphere at any Premier League match) but he somehow made it sound like we were Isis and we just invaded Vegas. Schaub then mentioned about the incident where two Irish fans were fighting on a Plane, and basically the three stooges came to the inclusion that we're animals and it's in our blood to fight. I think Joe is one of the brightest dudes in front of a camera... but holy sh1t does he fall to stereotyping and generalising way too often for my like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Aldo via Decision
    Wow, is someone really impersonating Kavanagh above? Thats incredibly sad if so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Thanks Saipanne, Interesting to read the passion in Johns posts going back over 11 years, what a journey to be proud of !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

McGregor via Decision
    califano wrote: »
    Ive felt that for a while with Dana and Fertita too. Its all subtle but I think they dont appreciate him advocating himself as a governing partner of the UFC. They just dont seem budzy woodzys like they did before anyway and in company now its all a bit too much of an at arms length welcomes.
    I also feel Conor probably tried too hard for Croke park and got put in his box and now trots out the company line in the negative like it pains him.

RTE2 showed re-runs of the Notorious documentary on Friday. In one episode Conor meets Dana and Lorenzo in UFC HQ. Conor jokes that he'll soon have an office next door to Lorenzo, everyone laughs but Conor was pretty serious :D The scale of his ambition knows no bounds.

As for Croker I reckon Dana and Lorenzo are going to have to do it at some stage and July is obvious choice given the weather here. Conors the champ now and has always wanted this gig in his hometown and deserves it for walking the walk. It will of course mean less PPVs but if Conor is willing to take a lower payday then for a one off event they should too. A McGregor Holloway rematch at Croker in July followed by Edgar in Vegas in December is hopefully something they'll consider
    Paully D wrote: »
    This reaction from Frank Fertitta to McGregor's KO is bizarre to say the least:

I think people are reading too much into Frank Fertitta reaction. For all we know he might have had a $1m bet riding on Aldo and was expressing his disappointment. But you can't even conclude that as you can't see his facial expression as the belt goes down.

JohnSBG wrote: »

John congrats to you Artem & Owen and all the backroom team at SBG. It must be some feeling for you to wake up Sunday morning knowing you've achieved your ambition of coaching a world champion. Inspirational achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Saipanne wrote: »

He had another account posting as sbg for a long time. He also vowed never to post on boards again if I remember correctly. So I'd say johnsbg is having a great laugh at guys congratulating him

DeVore wrote: »
    You have to question Aldo's (or Aldo's corners) fight IQ for coming out swinging. I mean, he was seriously swinging too.

Go back and look at the footage, really look at it. Slow it down and look frame by frame because its instructive. There is a video of the knockout here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2598888-jose-aldo-vs-conor-mcgregor-knockout-draws-negative-reaction-in-brazilian-media

With the exception of when he connects with McGregors head, Aldo's hand never rise above his own shoulders, which by that time are considerably lower than McGregors because Aldo is loading up on his legs. He fires his punches almost from his hips, especially the ill fated right (which doesn't really connect with anything other than Conors chest). When the left hook comes in from Conor, freeze it there (11 seconds into that video) and Aldos upper arm is directly down his body and his elbow makes a 90 degree angle with it. No defence and poor offence from there.

This is woeful technique especially against someone know for fighting on the rear foot. Its bad strategy coupled with bad tactics and bad technique.
    Why go into it swinging with a counter puncher who has "questionable" ground game. Why not go to your best weapon of Muay Thai kicks to Conor's wide stance and take out his lead leg. Kill his movement which takes away a big part of his game (as per Aldo vs Faber). The only reason not to kick is if you are fighting a wrestler who might take you down... that's not going to happen here and anyway, Aldo did it just fine against other wrestlers (Mendes, Faber etc).

Its baffling that Aldo would just run across the cage, chin stuck out swinging wildly. For clarity, I'm by no means in the "it was a fix camp" lol... that's just bonkers talk, but I *am* questioning Aldo's mental state and his fight IQ because that has to be one of the dumbest moves ever made inside the octagon.

The only explanation is what Conor said in fact, he was so wound up that he telegraphed his big loaded-up punches, threw caution to the wind, over extended himself because of emotion and saw red.

I think there's a lot of retrospective analysis there Dev. Looks to me like you are trying to find faults in those 13 seconds for the sake of the "what was he thinking" narrative. I think it's very forced to paint this as a Cat Zingano moment from Aldo.

What you said it true, Aldo did lunge forward, with a power hook. But I disagree that this was recklessly charging forward, or swinging wildly. This is simply, Jose Aldo 101. It's an incredibly aggressive approach. I think it's silly to call it one of the dumbest moves you've ever seen, when until this weekend it was precisely those moves that had many proclaim him as the king. Aldo never won via 50-45 finesse, he won previously via brutal aggression. That lack of caution is why he lost rounds to each of his previous opponent.
    Aldo's hand never rise above his own shoulders...
    Aldo has a low guard. He always has, and he wasn't holding his hands any different as came out here imo. This may be a sub-optimal compared to a traditional high guard in muay thai - but this isn't muay thai. The low (and somewhat open) guard allows Aldo to be more mobile and cut forward as he throws power shots. To use the cliche, offence is the best defence. His approach to this fight appeared to be to simply do his thing, exactly what he has always done. The brief glimpse we seem, looked to be exactly the Jose Aldo that always was.

Here he is punishing Lamas. In the third exchange, he is completely exposed the whole time. But his power shots protect him as Lamas is too busy trying get out of there to do anything.

45.gif

In the exchange that end it all, he opened with a barely there cross. This wasn't supposed to connect, it's a flash in their eyes, to close their guard so the hook can sneak around the corner. It's something he does alot. And it works, if your opponent stays stuck in the mud. He's a similar flashed jab to load up the uppercut vrs Manny Gamburyan. that leads to the finish.
    Aldo+GIF+Gamburyan+2.gif
    Why not go to your best weapon of Muay Thai kicks to Conor's wide stance and take out his lead leg.
    There's no way we can discount low kicks from his game plan based on 13 seconds. A lead low kick would have been checked almost all of the time. It's much more effective to set in up in a combo. Especially when you go high to one side, and low to the other. As other have mentioned, I've also have no doubt that a right low kick was due to follow that left hook.
    Here's an most identical combo verses Hominick. Flashed cross, power hook, right low kick. The only difference was he went to the body with the hook. Noticing that Hominick, even though first he reacted to the feint cross, he also managed to find Aldo's chin with his left.

Jose_Aldo_vs._Mark_Hominick_5.gif

After any of those fight, I doubt anyone questioned Aldo's fight IQ, recklessness, or his low guard. Because it worked. Saturday was no different. Except for the fact that instead of covering up, Conor skipped back and firing the straight left, beating him to the punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Mellor wrote: »
    Except for the fact that instead of covering up, Conor skipped back and firing the straight left, beating him to the punch.

Would he not have been smarter to actually pay respect to Conor's left hand though ?

If McGregor left his leg out there exposed to one of Aldo's biggest weapons, not attempting to check and just doing his own usual thing, would we not be questioning Conor's gameplan ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

McGregor via Decision
    Tinie wrote: »
    Wow, is someone really impersonating Kavanagh above? Thats incredibly sad if so...

Me? I know fook all about Kavanaghs thoughts, I'm simply expressing my views after watching that podcast. Did you watch it?

Would he not have been smarter to actually pay respect to Conor's left hand though ?
    I doubt he didn't respect it. But he probably believed he was better, and that he would come off better in the exchanges overall. I imagine he accepted that he got hit in these exchanges, taking one defense strike for the sake of landing two or three power shots* (Hominick gif above)
    There's a line between respect and fear imo. If he tried to hide from the left hand, changing his style to a high guard, fighting on the outside. He would have been picked apart over the entire round.

*Much in the way McGregor stopped being so evasive for the sake of landing more shots
    If McGregor left his leg out there exposed to one of Aldo's biggest weapons, not attempting to check and just doing his own usual thing, would we not be questioning Conor's gameplan ?
    This pretty much highlights my point. Conor knew aobut the low kicks. I imagine he drilled the check (whatever else he had prepared ;)). But he still came out in his wide stance. He prepared for it, but he didn't fear it so much that it put him off his game. He believed he was faster and more precise, and would come off the better for it.

Best example of this I can think of is the 3rd BJ Penn and Edgar fight. BJ came out with a new and bizarre style, (allegedly) to try to improve his gas tank. Failed miserably.

I also think there's the awe factor in the UFC where aldo was concerned.
    He's just a man at the end of the day and prone to being caught. Is the fact that he went so long down to him being great or the division being stagnant and only he seems to have the ability to clock the competition just long enough til they catch up?? who knows, I personally think being as conor knocked a lot of them out, this may be a fact, not taking away from Aldo's skill or record. In terms of being in AWE, many were afraid of this phenom before they got in where as conor always said Aldo was just another man.
    Maybe conor mcgregor see's things differently than us> I think Bruce lee once said it's not good to idolise anyone, especially Bruce himself... might be something in that, in terms of your mental perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Every day it gets better!

We have an Irish ufc champion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Uncle frank doesn't look overly upset.

https://twitter.com/thebookofrob/status/676630881243684864

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Conor up to 3rd in the p4p rankings

1 Demetrious Johnson
    2 Jon Jones
    3 Conor McGregor
    4 TJ Dillashaw
    5 Fabricio Werdum
    6 Robbie Lawler
    6 Jose Aldo
    8 Daniel Cormier
    9 Luke Rockhold *NR
    10 Rafael dos Anjos
    11 Chris Weidman
    12 Cain Velasquez
    13 Ronda Rousey
    14 Joanna Jedrzejczyk
    15 Holly Holm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

McGregor via Decision
    Kazooie wrote: »
    Don't post in here very often but would like to join in the celebrations. Was relatively confident he could get the win but did not expect it to be done in such an emphatic manner. Its really pretty amazing that we now have one of the greatest fighters ever, from our little country. The exchange was a thing of beauty. Feels the range with left right combo and the teep. Then the counter left cross while avoiding Aldos left hand. Beautiful. Masterclass in counter punching. Congrats to everyone concerned, Conor, his family, team etc... This is our generations Italia 90, I don't care what the detractors say.

Great post, but he certainly did not avoid Aldos left hand, it hit him square in the puss and would knock out a lot of featherweights if they got hit with it id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Decision
    Easy Rod wrote: »

The head on Khabib :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

akelly02 wrote: »
    Great post, but he certainly did not avoid Aldos left hand, it hit him square in the puss and would knock out a lot of featherweights if they got hit with it id imagine.

He took one to give one.

Risky but paid off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

McGregor via Decision
    The activity on the john kavanagh account was 2009, which was before the boards.ie hack. Good chance he just can't log in on that and JohnSBG is real

Advertisement