Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I cannot believe people think they are calling fights to early in UFC , if any criticism can be levelled it is that they are not stopping fights soon enough !

Chris Weidman probably lost a few years of his career thanks to herb dean not stopping that fight he got whaled on for more 60 seconds with non stop strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

The Rockhold-Weidman fight being a perfect example of not getting stopped soon enough, but on the whole I think the refs get it spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Can a fighters corner not "throw in a towel" and stop a fight , becasue if they can they did their fighter no favours letting that continue

Can a fighters corner not "throw in a towel" and stop a fight , becasue if they can they did their fighter no favours letting that continue

I think its against the unified rules for the corner to throw in the towel,which is a joke imo,no doubt serra and longo would have thrown the towel in at the stage where weidman was mounted getting murdered with no reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission

Corners throwing in the towel is banned under the unified rules in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    Only the fighter or the ref can stop a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

McGregor via Decision
    Last time I remember a towel being thrown was Nate Diaz's corner against Josh Thompson. Nothing came of that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

McGregor via Decision
    Monday Morning Analyst had a good breakdown of the 13 second fight (from 12:25 to 28:06):

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Gamebred wrote: »
    I think its against the unified rules for the corner to throw in the towel,which is a joke imo,no doubt serra and longo would have thrown the towel in at the stage where weidman was mounted getting murdered with no reply.

I haven’t watched it back yet but did they try to get it stopped in between rounds? If not then I doubt they’d have thrown in the towel.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    I checked with John Kavanagh on Twitter and that's a new account he created. Its him.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/676777964147638272

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

DeVore wrote: »
    I checked with John Kavanagh on Twitter and that's a new account he created. Its him.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/676777964147638272

Amazing. This is what I love about Ireland, we have one forum for the whole country. What other country has that?

Nice way to cap off the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Corners throwing in the towel is banned under the unified rules in the US.

Its not that specifically throwing in the towel is banned, its that throwing any object into the ring/cage results in the fight being called off. Therefore, traditionally the cornerman would have a towel, this would be thrown in, and the ref would be forced to stop the fight.

The towel itself has no significance, and it is exactly because you cant throw it in that the fight gets stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Novice question. Towards the end of the Gunnar fight it looked like he had resigned to holding on til the end of the round....I presume to avoid a TKO? Should a ref stop a fight in such a situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Gamebred wrote: »

They could have pulled him out in-between the rounds, but they just sent him back out. they're technically employed by Weidman to keep him safe. Sending him back out was negligible imo.

There seems a "bravado" thing in MMA where you can come back from the edges of defeat to win dramatically. But it was so obvious that Weidman got absolutely battered, and he could not continue. I felt disturbed watching it, it was not entertaining, in any way shape or form to see that level of one sidededness.

I reckon if that was boxing, the corner wouldnt have let him go back out for the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

For what, 2 seconds?

This really speaks a lot about the ignorance surrounding MMA in general.

If someone hit you hard with a perfectly placed punch that you drop, it doesnt matter if you are out for 2 seconds or 2 hours. When you hit the ground, you cannot defend yourself for those 2 seconds. A serious amount of damage can be inflicted in those 2 seconds if you cannot defend yourself.

Recurring theme in this post: you must be able to defend yourself, otherwise its game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Novice question. Towards the end of the Gunnar fight it looked like he had resigned to holding on til the end of the round....I presume to avoid a TKO? Should a ref stop a fight in such a situation?

let them bang bro let them bang

*very few people will get the reference.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Keyzer wrote: »
    This really speaks a lot about the ignorance surrounding MMA in general.

If someone hit you hard with a perfectly placed punch that you drop, it doesnt matter if you are out for 2 seconds or 2 hours. When you hit the ground, you cannot defend yourself for those 2 seconds. A serious amount of damage can be inflicted in those 2 seconds if you cannot defend yourself.

Recurring theme in this post: you must be able to defend yourself, otherwise its game over.
    I had this exact argument with a friend of mine, wouldn't believe me when I corrected him saying it was a KO not TKO, saying Aldo wasn't knocked out, he was moving as soon as the fight was stopped trying to get back up etc.

He hit the mat stiff like a corpse, was only a few seconds of unconsciousness but he was definitely out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I had this exact argument with a friend of mine, wouldn't believe me when I corrected him saying it was a KO not TKO, saying Aldo wasn't knocked out, he was moving as soon as the fight was stopped trying to get back up etc.

He hit the mat stiff like a corpse, was only a few seconds of unconsciousness but he was definitely out.

He fell like a sack of spuds hitting the deck! you just have to watch the replay to see that!

Leave these people at it, if they don't get it now they never will!

McGregor via Decision
    I didn't know that about the towel thing but it makes sense. I guess its become a symbol now and the meaning is connected to it. I dunno what the ref would make if Mayweather's corner tossed, I dunno, a chair in :):)

The "he was only out for 2 seconds" thing is kinda weird... in those two seconds, he gets knocked out forever.... then what? We let McGregor whale on him because maybe he'll wake up and fight back... like in February perhaps? Once an opponent can rain down blows unobstructed the fight is long over.
    Also there is the issue of consent... kinda like drunken sex... if someone has passed out, they can no longer be considered to be "consenting". :)
    There has to be a presumption that there ISNT consent because the person cannot actively give or rescind their consent.

That consent is absolutely vital. Its the difference between what we know to be a skilled contest of willing martial artists and the "human cock-fighting" accusations thrown at the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

megabantz wrote: »
    He fell like a sack of spuds hitting the deck! you just have to watch the replay to see that!

Exactamundo !!!

He was out before he hit the ground.

If the rules were leave him be for 10 seconds after a knock down then perhaps the fight could have continued.

But they are not the rules and hopefully never will be. Its one of the things that makes this sport so exciting to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

it's the blow ins and rent a fan that have no clue and make their own rules up as if the sport only started up when McGregor joined :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

megabantz wrote: »
    it's the blow ins and rent a fan that have no clue and make their own rules up as if the sport only started up when mcgreggor joined :D

McGregor lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Lads to be fair, lots of people never heard of mma till mcgregor. So it's completely new to them. Most probably just Seen the 13 seconds of the whole card.also imo mma is different now than what it was when I started watching it. Before it was fighters with one maybe two disciplines fighting fella with different one. Bjj v boxer etc. Now fighters are trained in everything.

To me fighter of the night was maia, that was a amazing domination. Thing I love about two bjj guys is they are step ahead of getting submitted. They're in bad position and they know what other fellas going to do to try submit him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Aldo via Submission
    I watched the Holm interview, the weigh ins, and the whole card. I paid three grand for the trip, I'll be ****ed if I was going to miss a single moment.

Does anyone actually have pictures of Aldo's weigh in last week compared to previous fights,lots of people saying he looked very different under the usada testing?

previous fight v mendes - Jose+Aldo+UFC+179+Weigh+In+QeMLmr7osuDl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That question doesn’t come close to arising yet, way too many divisions are incredibly shallow at the minute, with at most a handful of legitimate contenders. Having weight classes so close for the bigger guys will also mean a lot more jumping between weight divisions which I don’t think is ideal when shaping weight classes.

I think more divisions could happen eventually but we’d be talking 5-10 years time.

Currently there are 8 weight classes. The two most stacked weights are lightweight and Welterweight. Both with over 100 fighters. 104 to be precise. The next biggest is FW at 66 fighters. And the biggest change I would make, again in the future, is splitting the WW division in two. This means LW fighters have an easier jump to the next division as it's 165 and not 170. And the bigger 170 fighters can now fight at 175.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision
    Looks the same to me

4K6ta42.jpg

Yep different poses make it hard to tell but theres no massive difference imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

McGregor via Decision
    Tazzimus wrote: »

I posted a vine earlier in this thread of video taken at ringside, show this to your mate it should shut him up? You can clearly see Aldo is out of it and unable to defend himself, not stepping in immediately would have left him taking savage and unneccessary punishment.

https://vine.co/v/iZP3nX5v3uP

Advertisement