Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Aldo's team cannot take it that their star man got knocked out.they are playing every card going and I've yet to hear any of them congratulate conor or his team..even conor wished them well..

As soon as conor ko'd him and jumped on the cage,on of Aldos team shouted at him I'll fight you lol talk about sore losers..onwards and upwards team mcgregor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

For what, 2 seconds?

What's a fair amount of time that you should be allowed to beat the **** out of an unconcious opponent who can't defend themselves in order to satisfy you so?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

DeVore wrote: »
    I checked with John Kavanagh on Twitter and that's a new account he created. Its him.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/676777964147638272

We'll have to make up a little Boards.ie 'verified' badge :D
    (Welcome back John!)

image.png

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    We do have a Verified Rep account I guess... its kinda more for reps of companies like Vodafone etc :)

It was nice of John to come and say hello and thanks though, fair dues!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Inquitus wrote: »
    I posted a vine earlier in this thread of video taken at ringside, show this to your mate it should shut him up? You can clearly see Aldo is out of it and unable to defend himself, not stepping in immediately would have left him taking savage and unnecessary punishment.

https://vine.co/v/iZP3nX5v3uP
    Perfect example, man doesn't know where he is or what happened to him. It's almost like he lost consciousness for a few seconds ;)

On another note, that was actually a fairly big left Conor ate as Aldo went down.

Hopefully there's no ****e talk of lucky punch from Aldo's camp as that just paints them as sore losers. This is MMA, these things can and do happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tazzimus wrote: »

Hopefully there's no ****e talk of lucky punch from Aldo's camp as that just paints them as sore losers. This is MMA, these things can and do happen.

And they have happened in the past.

Here's a mirror image of the same combo from CmcG in 2011

No lucky punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That left hand is seriously OP..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    Theres an even better example in the Buchinger fight. Perfect, textbook slip-n-hook.

The brain has a built in defense mechanism that when it shuts down it simply doesn't record the previous few seconds memory. The brain has two kinds of memory, short and long term. There is a process whereby the short term memories become long term memories and the brain doesn't do that for everything you experience. (That's why you can remember the address of the house you grew up in 20 years ago, but not the number of the pizza place you rang 2 minutes ago).

When a person is knocked out, two things happen. Firstly that shunting process from short to long term doesn't happen for current events. Secondly the brain terminates the process for events leading up to a trama in order to protect itself from future "reimaginings" and PTSD. You will very commonly hear people say "I don't remember anything after leaving the house" or "The last thing I remember was ...."
    Frequently boxers will wake up looking at the ref and the first thing they will say is "what happened". Many believe they have been stopped early because they simply don't remember being knocked down and to them they feel like they haven't been out at all.

Aldo was out, its called "starched" by boxers because the body goes momentarily stiff (aldos legs were stiff as two boards).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Due to time difference an outdoor irish based title defense is impossible but if there willing to lose out on money they could stage it in the 3arena. The dublin cc can work around it, late luas, late pubs etc. Its not going to happen id say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

PTH2009 wrote:
    Due to time difference an outdoor irish based title defense is impossible but if there willing to lose out on money they could stage it in the 3arena. The dublin cc can work around it, late luas, late pubs etc. Its not going to happen id say

Conor made a promise recently on TheMMAhour that he will be fighting at either croke park or the aviva, he couldn't promise when but he said it's definetley going to happen.

He has been right about everything he ever says, so I don't doubt him. He calls the shots now.

Can't see it being this next myself as it would have to be during the Summer, but he will be fighting at UFC200 in July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

And they have happened in the past.

Here's a mirror image of the same combo from CmcG in 2011

No lucky punch.

His finish of Ivan buchanger (I can't spell) is similar as well

if aldo had got up he'd of got a kick in the face, one of those spinning cappoiara ones
    but Conor was gonna hammerfist him into the canvas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Hopefully this doesn't come across as too dumb a question.

Are you not allowed to knee or kick your opponents head when they're down?

RonanP77 wrote: »

no also you can't elbow straight down on their head but you can elbow nearly straight down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO

Nope once one hand is down no knees, but kicks are still allowed to the body etc when down bit it's risky so alot don't do it in fear of losing a point. Some promotions do allow it, fairly sure One Fc allow them at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGregor via Decision
    JohnSBG wrote: »
    A quick message to say during down time over the last few weeks preparation I checked out some of this thread and found it very entertaining. Thanks and regardless who you were supporting it's great to see the level of interest and passion you guys have, keep it up!

Congratulations, John. Fantastic to see all your hard work come to fruition. A lot more to come I'm sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

McGregor via Decision

Thankfully, no you cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Aldo via Submission

I think the rule is if the opponent has three points of contact with the mat then you can't kick or knee to the head so if the opponent has two feet and a finger touching the mat then you can't knee or kick to the head.

Edit: not a dumb question by the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Robin Black does good breakdowns but hes gone full fanboy on Conor,talking about his legs shaking while interviewing him pre fight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

McGregor via Decision
    Corners throwing in the towel is banned under the unified rules in the US.

I think your wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gamebred wrote: »
    I think its against the unified rules for the corner to throw in the towel,which is a joke imo,
    Corners throwing in the towel is banned under the unified rules in the US.
    I don't think that's entirely true guys. It is listed as a "foul", so that if it happens that fighter loses. But I think they've since removed it from the list of rules unified rules to avoid confusion.

NSAC still list it as a foul, as they don't want a towel flying in and distracting the fighters, or ref. The the corner wants to stop the fight, they just need to call off the fight with the official at the gate who waves off to the ref.
    But if a corner did throw it in, I doubt anything would come of it.

Ray Longo said he was under orders to not stop the fight at the weekend.
    I think Nick Diaz thrw in the towell when Nate was losing to Josh Thompson.

jesus, this is pathetic
    Brazilian journalist drops Conor 4 places in the P4P rankings after the win.

QAb1s6J.png

UFC 194 broke 2 million on the prelims. The PPV numbers could be insane

https://twitter.com/DamonMartin/status/676912825630105601

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Mellor wrote:

How long before it goes PPV in the UK and Ireland? The fan base is growing so money to be made. I see a lot of people here would prefer to pay for just the fight rather than sign a contract with BT Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

McGregor via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »

https://twitter.com/DamonMartin/status/676912825630105601

2million at $50 a pop, that's $100mill

If Conor was on 5%, which is entirely feasible his cut would be a cool 5mill, nice work

ComfortKid wrote: »
    How long before it goes PPV in the UK and Ireland? The fan base is growing so money to be made. I see a lot of people here would prefer to pay for just the fight rather than sign a contract with BT Sports

I vaguely remember it being PPV on Sky years ago. It didn't do too well I think, they certainly would have switched to a Setanta deal if it wasn't worth more for them.

But the current BT Sports dea lruns out very soon, I don't know if they signed a new one yet. :eek:
    scudzilla wrote: »
    2million at $50 a pop, that's $100mill

If Conor was on 5%, which is entirely feasible his cut would be a cool 5mill, nice work

2million on the prelims doesn't mean 2 milions PPVs though. Prelims always do more than the PPVs. I imagine because people who stream or torrent will still tune in via fox sports. But the 194 prelims numbers blow all previous events away. The top four events prior to this were;

Event Prelims PPVs
    UFC 168 (Weidman vs. Silva, Rousey vs. Tate) 1,554,000 1,025,000
    UFC 183 (Silva vs. Diaz) 1,546,000 650,000
    UFC 193 1,394,000 1,100,000
    UFC 190 1,322,000 900,000

It's probably a safe bet that it'll surpass the 193 PPV numbers, but the real prize would be the 1.6m buys of UFC 100. Time will tell.
    Apparently it's a sliding scale, $X per PPV sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's probably a safe bet that it'll surpass the 193 PPV numbers, but the real prize would be the 1.6m buys of UFC 100. Time will tell.
    Apparently it's a sliding scale, $X per PPV sale.

Heard that too. Up until target the ppv sales share is very little and the higher above the target you go the greater your share rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

McGregor via Decision
    jesus, this is pathetic
    Brazilian journalist drops Conor 4 places in the P4P rankings after the win.

QAb1s6J.png

I saw this and was like, WTF, that was different yesterday.

Then checked again http://www.ufc.com/rankings?id=

Says that Conor is up to 3rd, up 9 places. Am I missing something?

OmegaRed wrote: »
    I saw this and was like, WTF, that was different yesterday.

Then checked again http://www.ufc.com/rankings?id=

Says that Conor is up to 3rd, up 9 places. Am I missing something?

That's a voting slip
    One Brazilian journal moved Conor down (on his voting slip) 4 places after the KO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    Its like those international managers etc in football who vote for Michael Essien to win the world player of the year, best ignored, maybe giggled at.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement