Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

McGregor via Submission
    OmegaRed wrote: »
    I saw this and was like, WTF, that was different yesterday.

Then checked again http://www.ufc.com/rankings?id=

Says that Conor is up to 3rd, up 9 places. Am I missing something?

Yes, salty Brazilian journalists and was more a "vote" that based on actual performance from what I can see of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    Yes, salty Brazilian journalists and was more a "vote" that based on actual performance from what I can see of it.

Was it more then one journalist?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Jose his camp seem to be coming across very bitter about the defeat.

Loosing respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

McGregor via Decision
    ComfortKid wrote: »
    How long before it goes PPV in the UK and Ireland? The fan base is growing so money to be made. I see a lot of people here would prefer to pay for just the fight rather than sign a contract with BT Sports

I paid 15.99 on youtube for the PPV and chromecast it to my TV in full HD. That's probably the best PPV option rather than get tangled up with BT Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Decision
    Who are all the red coats who walk into the octogon and why so fking many of them ....they stand around throwing more shapes than the fighters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Who are all the red coats who walk into the octogon and why so fking many of them ....they stand around throwing more shapes than the fighters

My guess is its the nevada state athletic commission keeping an eye on precedings!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Decision
    Inquitus wrote: »
    I paid 15.99 on youtube for the PPV and chromecast it to my TV in full HD. That's probably the best PPV option rather than get tangled up with BT Sports.

Thats 15.99 for only one event though.

For an MMA fan, BT Sport subscription (mine is 20.99 a month) gets you 99% of UFC events. As well as all the magazine shows and The Ultimate Fighter as it airs in the USA.

Any Irish or British Fan would be insane to pay on an event-by-event basis. Its only a matter of time before we are getting charged like the US fans but unti then BT Sports has to be the best value for money out there.

**** In before some smartass says ''Ooooh do you work for BT Sports or something??'' ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

McGregor via Submission

I didn't even know you could actually buy it on YouTube, if I did I would have actually done that instead of SD pirate stream (have fight pass on UFC)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

McGregor via Decision
    John_D80 wrote: »
    Thats 15.99 for only one event though.

For an MMA fan, BT Sport subscription (mine is 20.99 a month) gets you 99% of UFC events. As well as all the magazine shows and The Ultimate Fighter as it airs in the USA.

Any Irish or British Fan would be insane to pay on an event-by-event basis. Its only a matter of time before we are getting charged like the US fans but unti then BT Sports has to be the best value for money out there.

**** In before some smartass says ''Ooooh do you work for BT Sports or something??'' ****

I can't get behind BT Sports or Sky Sports any more, the fact everything got pretty much diluted and split between the 2 channels means you have to pay twice as much for the same sports coverage. I usually download UFC and watch the following day, pulling all-nighters isn't my thing generally. I fully understand if you stay up and watch UFC live on a regular basis then BT Sports is much better value than PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

McGregor via Decision
    To be fair to BT Sports, their UFC coverage is exceptional. One annual payment and I'm sorted for the year. It's a complete bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

ComfortKid wrote: »
    How long before it goes PPV in the UK and Ireland? The fan base is growing so money to be made. I see a lot of people here would prefer to pay for just the fight rather than sign a contract with BT Sports
    Living in the UK I wasn't able to buy it on PPV at all. Found it incredibly frustrating actually since BT has exclusive right over hear.
    Was at home for his last fight and could buy it on UFC.com no problem. They clearly didn't want my money at all.

PPV has never really sat well with Irish/UK customers although it seems to have come back into fashion with Sky. The price is the thing that puts me off, especially when you see that US customers are being asked to pay $60 for 4/5 fights (main card). That, and the balls up that Sky are intent on making of it. There should not be ANY adverts during the fights on PPV and seeing as they managed to miss the towel being thrown into the ring during the boxing is beyond belief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

There wont be ppv any time soon,ppv for main events at 5am in the uk is not viable financially ive read,for mma at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I like having it on BT too because I get all of the events and other UFC shows for the price of one ppv. Grand to be able to record them too.
    .With the rise of fans here since McGregor I wouldn't be surprised to see it go PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Aldo via Submission
    DeVore wrote: »
    Theres an even better example in the Buchinger fight. Perfect, textbook slip-n-hook.

buchinger_ko.0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,770 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

callaway92 wrote: »
    buchinger_ko.0.gif

It truly is a thing of beauty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I really, really wouldn't want to get hit by that left.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    Look at his right shoulder, his head movement and his left knee. Those are the three key things to a slip-n-hook.

He moves his head out of the way, obviously that's a rather important part of it. :)
    But only juuuust enough out of the way so as not to be hit. Most people over estimate that. You don't need these big Mohommad Ali shadow boxing swings of the head to achieve that, you need to move your head less than your heads width to the left. Look how close Buchingers fist is to Conors ear.

The shoulder: You cant see it great from that angle and because of the speed but he rolls his right shoulder around to towards his left side, this does a few things but it mostly cocks his body for the coming left hook. Its part of the "getting out of the way of the punch" movement, but it also loads up on his left and preps that punch.

The left knee. Its very subtle but important. He turns his left knee inwards with the punch so as to allow him to rotate his frame and use his core muscles to blast the left through Buchingers chin. Conors strength isn't in his arms, its in his technique. He uses the far more powerful muscles in his torso to rotate his upper body, putting all that mass and momentum behind the shot too.
    He cant do this if his own body is working against him. If he doesn't rotate his left knee inwards, his own left hip acts as a break on the punch. He will end up just stretching across his own body and the shot wont be nearly as effective.

Try it yourself. Stand up and slowly throw a left hook with legs straight and unmoving. Now try it again but turn your left knee inwards. See how much easier it is to carry the punch through?

You might not see these things if they aren't pointed out but they are what makes the difference between a cut eyebrow and a champions belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Decision
    I can't get behind BT Sports or Sky Sports any more, the fact everything got pretty much diluted and split between the 2 channels means you have to pay twice as much for the same sports coverage. I usually download UFC and watch the following day, pulling all-nighters isn't my thing generally. I fully understand if you stay up and watch UFC live on a regular basis then BT Sports is much better value than PPV.

Other sports like football might be diluted but when it comes to UFC coverage, BT sports have the monopoly and dont share rights with anyone.

Its not just live events that BT sports carries. They have all the magazine shows from both sides of the atlantic, The ultimate fighter and all the classic fights shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

McGregor via Decision
    Not sure if this has been posted/discussed:

Jose Aldo’s head coach Andre Pederneiras released this letter via Facebook.

I have a deep sense of loss at this moment. Not only because of Jose Aldo’s belt, but mainly because of the lack of respect to our great champion, who maintained the UFC belt for four years and seven months, for seven fights (not counting his almost two years and three fights with the WEC title). I got back (to Brazil) and saw comments from people that certainly don’t know anything about fighting. And if they do, they never got anywhere, because those who achieved something in our sport know how hard is to compete at the highest level, against athletes from all over the world, and defeat them for many years.

When Brazil had no other champion, in a tense moment, Aldo maintained his title. After that, two other Brazilians joined him, maintaining the fame and recognition of the country in MMA. The only thing I ask everyone is respect to our great champion. For those who say it was fixed, I’d rather not comment, because they don’t deserve time and attention.

Last Saturday, Jose Aldo lost his belt in a fight in which he couldn’t show how well trained and prepared psychologically he was. There was no taunting that could enter his head, there was no technical failure, just an unusual blow. A blow like that, connecting in someone’s chin while moving forward, isn’t something that happens all the time. But it has happened with us. If it was the opposite, with McGregor being punched in the chin and Aldo in the eyebrow, we would be calling Aldo a superchampion today, the best of all times, but this is how sports are. Better luck for McGregor, who won and, therefore, is the new champion.

We need to understand that Jose Aldo is a human being subject to defeats, like any other. Those who show up criticizing him should think: this guy came from Manaus to Rio with nothing, to live in a gym, sleep on the mat, and wake up late so he wouldn’t starve since he had no money to have breakfast. He got where he were, always believing he would be a champion, and became one, due to hard work and dedication. The people’s champion.

Would those who are out there criticizing, talking about embarrassment, have the courage to do what he did? I bet not. If they did, they would know how hard is to win in a country where it’s rare to have support to sports. My message to critics is this: get up from the chair, get out from the computer, drop the phone, and do better. We need more people like Aldo and less critics from the couch.

The king has left, but will be back shortly.
    Andre Pederneiras, Nova Uniao leader. More than a team, a family!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

py2006 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted/discussed:

Jose Aldo’s head coach Andre Pederneiras released this letter via Facebook.

Sick of hearing from this guy:

"lucky punch"
    "no respect"
    " no chance to show his skill"
    "Mcgregor didn't get in his head"

seriously would you f**k off with that horse manure. :rolleyes:

For a start, Aldo moans and moans about not making money, in walks megregor and gives a master class on how to make cash, by doing the very thing that the coach complains about, not showing respect. If you want to build a fight up, it won't happen by grovelling to the champion! Mcgregor showed respect at the right time, when the tickets were sold and the PPVs were booked, the day before the fight and was respectful in post fight interviews.

The facts speak for themselves:

Respect gets you this
    10/25/2014 UFC 179 Aldo vs Mendes II 180,000 (number of PPV)

No respect gets you this
    07/11/2015 UFC 189 McGregor vs Mendes 825,000 (number of PPV)

It will be interesting to see the Aldo vs McGregor PPV when they are published.

Lucky punch? Why don't you slow it right down and watch mcgregor move, he anticipated the Jose attack and managed it perfectly. Basically Aldos team got their tactics all wrong, MCGREGOR DID GET IN YOUR HEAD, Aldo came out aggressively and went for broke!

I don't want to see a rematch here. They can f**k off.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    You get respect when you give respect.

From the after-fight interview they have been saying "it wasn't a fight" "its a fluke" "lucky shot" etc... not a word about how Conor and John have trained in a cold converted garage for years (I was in the place... fnckin' freezing lol).
    If they came out and said "fair dues, good fight, Conor is the new champion but we'll be back" I would bet they would get a lot more respect than they have...

(admittedly, I wasn't impressed with McGregor giving them the fingers on top of the octagon but emotions were high and he paid respect to Aldo in the presser).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

jon1981 wrote: »
    Sick of hearing from this guy:

"lucky punch"
    "no respect"
    " no chance to show his skill"
    "Mcgregor didn't get in his head"

seriously would you f**k off with that horse manure. :rolleyes:

For a start, Also moans and moans about not making money, in walks megregor and gives a master class on how to make cash, by doing the very thing that the coach complains about, not showing respect. If you want to build a fight up, it won't happen by grovelling to the champion! Mcgregor showed respect at the right time, when the tickets were sold and the PPVs were booked, the day before the fight and was respectful in post fight interviews.

Lucky punch? Why don't you slow it right down and watch mcgregor move, he anticipated the Jose attack and managed it perfectly. Basically Aldos team got their tactics all wrong, MCGREGOR DID GET IN YOUR HEAD, Aldo came out aggressively and went for broke!

I don't want to see a rematch here. They can f**k off.

here here! im sick of their bull**** at this stage. Not once have I heard them or seen them show respect to the CHAMPION!!!! - very bitter people in that camp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

''If it was the opposite, with McGregor being punched in the chin and Aldo in the eyebrow, we would be calling Aldo a superchampion today''

''there was no technical failure, just an unusual blow.''

Some gold from dede,so because Conor landed it was lucky and hes not a ''superchampion'' but if Aldo had of he'd of been called one lol

The no technical failure is up there with some of the stuff edmond comes out with reguarding ronda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Look at his right shoulder, his head movement and his left knee. Those are the three key things to a slip-n-hook.

He moves his head out of the way, obviously that's a rather important part of it. :)
    But only juuuust enough out of the way so as not to be hit. Most people over estimate that. You don't need these big Mohommad Ali shadow boxing swings of the head to achieve that, you need to move your head less than your heads width to the left. Look how close Buchingers fist is to Conors ear.

The shoulder: You cant see it great from that angle and because of the speed but he rolls his right shoulder around to towards his left side, this does a few things but it mostly cocks his body for the coming left hook. Its part of the "getting out of the way of the punch" movement, but it also loads up on his left and preps that punch.

The left knee. Its very subtle but important. He turns his left knee inwards with the punch so as to allow him to rotate his frame and use his core muscles to blast the left through Buchingers chin. Conors strength isn't in his arms, its in his technique. He uses the far more powerful muscles in his torso to rotate his upper body, putting all that mass and momentum behind the shot too.
    He cant do this if his own body is working against him. If he doesn't rotate his left knee inwards, his own left hip acts as a break on the punch. He will end up just stretching across his own body and the shot wont be nearly as effective.

Try it yourself. Stand up and slowly throw a left hook with legs straight and unmoving. Now try it again but turn your left knee inwards. See how much easier it is to carry the punch through?

You might not see these things if they aren't pointed out but they are what makes the difference between a cut eyebrow and a champions belt.

Great breakdown. While ive watched ufc for many years i wouldnt know much of the subtle technical aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Aldo via Decision
    "Lucky punch"

The bottom line is that Conor threw a fast punch before the knock out punch that almost connected, he was in there quick. Jose was slower by degrees but still slower. I don't think luck had too much to do with it Conor has quick reflexes. He was doing hand eye co-ordination stuff with Ido Portal. He has good fight I.Q.

I cannot believe people think they are calling fights to early in UFC , if any criticism can be levelled it is that they are not stopping fights soon enough !

Yes, Weidman v rockhold, shudda been stop after 20 something secs of ground and pound. His face looked like rocky in that "beast aftershave advert"

Beast aftershave makes me smeeal mainly"!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

DeVore wrote:
    (admittedly, I wasn't impressed with McGregor giving them the fingers on top of the octagon but emotions were high and he paid respect to Aldo in the presser).

That seemed to be aimed at tjs crew, aldos team were right below him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

What makes it even more laughable from them is how Aldo started that shoving match with Mendes before their second fight, claiming that he wanted to start some trouble between them to sell the fight (I’m sure the mistranslation excuse will be trotted out for the 100th time). Then they act like cry babies when Conor makes him a fortune doing the same.

Between the antics with the drug test, their hypocrisy, and being such poor losers I struggle to think of a large camp that I have less respect for outside the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Nice breakdown! My girlfriend did Taekwondo for years and showed me how to throw a punch with technique (of all people :D). The power you gain with technique is crazy and eye opening.

Knowing this stuff makes watching UFC as a layman much more compelling!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

McGregor via Decision
    Conor in the WSJ:
    “One round. I’ll KO him. Inside of four minutes,” McGregor said quietly. “I feel he’ll overextend. I feel he’s emotional. Every feint I do, he will overreact. My movement will freeze him. He’ll extend on a straight right hand, I’ll slip the straight right hand and bang the left hook over the top and put him down. It’s my baby. And it’s a shot I’ve visualized landing on him many times.”

Advertisement