Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Shock remake in the works!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That's when EA got involved with the IP too.
    Er, the first Dead Space was developed by Visceral when they were named EA Redwood Shores so that's not particularly accurate. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

gizmo wrote: »
    Er, the first Dead Space was developed by Visceral when they were named EA Redwood Shores so that's not particularly accurate. :o

But it did go down hill from the 2nd one, it became a lot more action oriented and completely ditched the horror by the 3rd one.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    But it did go down hill from the 2nd one, it became a lot more action oriented and completely ditched the horror by the 3rd one.
    I don't disagree in the slightest. The fact, however, is that the first game was designed from the ground up by an EA studio and published by EA themselves. To claim that they only became involved in the IP after the first game is simply untrue.

The changes, however, can generally be explained by the sales of the series. Despite the first game eventually going on to be a mild success sales wise, it sold extremely poorly at launch. By the end of the first month it had sold around 500K copies and it wasn't until around six months later that EA confirmed it had broken a million sales across the three platforms. Two years later it had broken 2 million units. When Dead Space 2 came out, however, it sold over 2 million copies within the first week of launch. That, unfortunately, is going to be read as "the direction we took was great, let's continue with it" as opposed to some of the other and, arguably, more sensible deductions one could make from a game within that launch window. I'd happily agree that the addition of co-op (and indeed micro-transactions) by the third game would have been solely down to influence from the publisher, Co-Op being "so hot right now" and like, who doesn't like money, right? :(

Therein lies the problem for games like SS3. They either go with the traditional publisher funding model and get the sizeable budget they more than likely require or they go the crowd funding route. In the former case, they'll need to not only cover their budget but also offer significant returns for the two year development cycle they require. Obviously this can come at the expense of needing to "broaden the fan base" if it fails to live up to expectations. In the latter case though they run the risk of simply not having the budget to make the game the studio wants or that the series deserves.

This is why I'm quite interested to see how the newer crowdfunding-to-show-interest model works out though. It potentially has the ability to show investors that there is support for the vision of the project from the beginning and at the very least reducing unwanted interference as development of the game and/or series continues. It's also why I have no problem with repeated returns to crowdfunding for subsequent titles, like with Larian for example, since it reduces the need to push for maximising revenues in earlier titles to justify the existence of future ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Apparently, Otherside got Warren Spectre to lead the team on SS3. A big name with some huge games under his belt, it still comes down to who he has working with him, but it's a good sign and will generate some hype (and give serious legitimacy to the project)

http://www.pcgamer.com/warren-spector-joining-otherside-to-lead-system-shock-3/

On an aside, how do people feel about old classics getting remakes/remasters? i say this in the wake of the Battlezone '98 Redux trailer that landed a few days ago, as well as the SS1 remake. a new dawn for our (nearly) forgotten masterpieces or outdated relics better left in the past?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm excited for Battlezone. I missed out on it back in the 90's due to having a machine that ran Half Life in the sub 10 FPS and heard it was great. The setting really seemed interesting as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Loved Battlezone...........even if I all had to play of it for years was the demo from a disc which was the 1st mission on the moon.

Got the original a long time later and still loved the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First footage. Looks shiny. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Level architecture is extremely similar to the original games first level. Even the way the level is constructed seems to follow the rules of the original game engine (levels made out of square block like wolfenstein and slopes only at 45 degree angles). Seems like they are going for the same game with minimum changes and just an aesthetic ugprade. Fine by me. I played through the original a couple of months ago for the first time and it's still holds up as one of the best ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

call me shallow but I tried again there lately with all the graphic mods on it but I just couldn't get past the aesthetics
    early 3d games just don't do it for me now which is a shame as it is supposed to be a great game so I will most likely have a stab at this version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Mr E wrote: »

I'm biased since the original still seriously creeps me out, but that looks flipping terrifying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Looks cool.

Except for the fact that it seems to be being played with a gamepad and the keypad numbers are also being selected by slowly moving one's aim between the keys. What happened to using one's actual NUMPAD? Even Alien: Isolation had classic support for that.

Site is sporting an Xbox One logo now at the bottom :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well that looks about as I remember it, albeit now in pant-wetting HD. I have to agree with the remarks above about how poorly the game has aged, even with the mods. It's so 'early 3D' it's distracting and much of the horror is dissipated by the janky graphics.

I'm presuming this isn't using some tuned-up version of the original engine: does anyone know what this is being built in? I guess Unity / Unreal 4 etc.?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well that looks about as I remember it, albeit now in pant-wetting HD. I have to agree with the remarks above about how poorly the game has aged, even with the mods. It's so 'early 3D' it's distracting and much of the horror is dissipated by the janky graphics.

I'm presuming this isn't using some tuned-up version of the original engine: does anyone know what this is being built in? I guess Unity / Unreal 4 etc.?

Yes it's got a unity logo on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mr E wrote: »

Wow this looks amazing. I adored SS2, but barely managed to overcome how horrendous it looked (I was late to the party) - there was not chance I'd manage SS1, so this is very exciting.
    Looks cool.

Except for the fact that it seems to be being played with a gamepad and the keypad numbers are also being selected by slowly moving one's aim between the keys. What happened to using one's actual NUMPAD? Even Alien: Isolation had classic support for that.

It is pre-alpha, I certainly wouldn't worry about this sort of thing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Great to see (hear) that one think that was absolutely perfect both back then and now is Shodan's voice. Haunted me back then, and glad to see from that trailer that it couldn't and shouldn't be improved upon.

James74 wrote: »
    Great to see (hear) that one think that was absolutely perfect both back then and now is Shodan's voice. Haunted me back then, and glad to see from that trailer that it couldn't and shouldn't be improved upon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZMD_eCpEo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Shodan and Xerxes were both terrifying, especially Xerxes later on when he started...becoming one with the many... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

This looks utterly fantastic. I finished SS1 on Steam last month so it's still fresh in my mind and I'm surprised how faithful they stayed with the level design. I can't help getting an Alien: Isolation vibe off of it.
    Looks cool.

Market realities dictate a multi-platform release so you can assume they had one eye on consoles with the development. It doesn't necessarily mean anything though.
    Yes it's got a unity logo on the website

Unity is great in the right hands and not just the asset-flippers. It just goes to show what you can do with the Unity engine with a bit of skill.

This looks utterly fantastic. I finished SS1 on Steam last month so it's still fresh in my mind and I'm surprised how faithful they stayed with the level design. I can't help getting an Alien: Isolation vibe off of it.

Market realities dictate a multi-platform release so you can assume they had one eye on consoles with the development. It doesn't necessarily mean anything though.

Unity is great in the right hands and not just the asset-flippers. It just goes to show what you can do with the Unity engine with a bit of skill.

I'm a big fan of Unity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm beginning to really like Night Dive Studios. They're unsung heros of the PC scene and have acquired the rights and released games that should have been caught up in legal limbo. The ports they have released have been great, the recent Turok port is absolutely stellar.

To top it off this remake is looking really great. If they update the visuals without changing the gameplay too much it will be excellent. I played through the original only recently and it remains one of the best games ever made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks great, I wonder if that demo is reflective of the general deviation from the original's level designs. (edit: though I just realised it's a remaster of System Shock 1, not its more famous sequel :D)

My only quibble is that those 'real time' keypad and UI interactions look a bit too fiddly. But hey, Alpha demo. Ker-downloaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

I don't think it'll be released in December ,as they state. There will be a delay as always. But the Razer Blade gaming laptop is quite something:heart:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Kickstarter has 33 hours to go. Great time to back it if you haven't already! Stretch goals up to $2mil add new content.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/

I've backed at the $350 level :pac:

TomCo wrote: »
    I've backed at the $350 level

wut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Interesting fortnight for both the remake and the sequel with the former seeing a move to a new engine in Unreal Engine 4 while the latter just got a nice injection of funding from Starbreeze as they come on board as (co?) publisher of the title.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    Interesting fortnight for both the remake and the sequel with the former seeing a move to a new engine in Unreal Engine 4 while the latter just got a nice injection of funding from Starbreeze as they come on board as (co?) publisher of the title.

What on Earth!? I never even knew there was a sequel in addition to the remake.

Advertisement