Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

virgin analog through a sky box

• 05-12-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

I am having a problem with my tv reception at the moment ,I have a sky box in the attic with virgin analog plugged into it and then its distributed to a couple of tv,s via a splitter, but the sky channel has alot of interference on it . If i put a antenuator on it it solves the sky problem but leaves the analog cable reception very snowy .Then i passed the virgin signal through a vhf uhf diplexer (passed it through the vhf side) that solved the problem but cut out the higher up channels on the analog cable' Just wondering has anyone got a solution .I know this is not just happening in my house it is happening all over town and i suspect it might have something to do with the fact that the broadband is also on the cable system now:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Change the channel on the Sky modulator - you obviously have one that either has other (analogue) channels on it or is on a harmonic of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

Thanks L1011 I did that ,no joy with it .The interference is like a rolling bar that is making a clicking noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The noise and digital carriers towards the upper end of the VM feed need to be filtered out before being connected to the Sky Box with something like this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Triax-UHF-Diplexer-TFC-3537-Channel-2-35-Leg-1-Channel-37-69-Leg-2-/181591566474?hash=item2a47b3688a:g:M0cAAOSwj0NUgMFj

The incoming VM feed should be connected to the OUTPUT "47-862 MHz" leg of the diplexer. Connect the leg marked "Ch2-35" into the Sky Box. Then connect the total output from the Sky Box to your distribution system.

thanks street light dont think that will work as i have to filter out the entire uhf band and only let vhf through on cable tv to the sky box

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That will work but make sure that you have the Sky channel above CH37. You could also add a Saorview signal if you get your Saorview from above CH37 as well. Make sure the Sky channel if away from the Saorview channels. This works with Kippure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    thanks street light dont think that will work as i have to filter out the entire uhf band and only let vhf through on cable tv to the sky box

No, you need part of the lower UHF band, as this carries E4, Channel 4 and Discovery. The filter will allow all VHF and lower UHF through to the Sky Box and remove the noise above Channel 35. So, set your Sky Box modulator above that channel. Something in the mid-40s should be ideal.

I'm using this very filter myself for the same purpose and it works perfectly.

i see your point now ,thanks for the explanation I will get one them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

Alternatively try getting a "LTE / 4G" filter and put that on the aerial (not satellite!) INPUT of the Sky Box, this will block the high UHF channels incoming.

now set your Sky Box modulator output on UHF Channel 65 or above

Make sure the filter doesn't filter out BELOW UHF as some of them also have the double function of filtering out TETRA where that might be a problem. However you need below-UHF to be passed for cable TV

here's a picture of a suitable one

https://www.mediatec.ie/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/t/lte-filter.png

good idea "antenna"thank you

Advertisement