Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair-kept on plane on the tarmac for 4.5 hours, rights??

Options
  • 05-12-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, my flight to Manchester was cancelled this morning, but only after we had boarded and left the gate. As we left the gate, another plane took that spot, meaning there was nowhere to let us disembark (about 50 metres from the gate). We were kept on the plane for 4.5 hours. In that time, we were once offered the chance to BUY some water or soft drinks. When we finally got off, there were no reps to meet us to take our questions or provide food or drink.

Went to the ticket desk but there were literally thousands queuing so I left as I had been travelling way too long at this point,

Just wondering if we have any other rights other than getting the flight refunded? Are there rules to obey that they didn't follow in this scenario? It really was a nightmare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Held hostage on a ryanair flight and forced to buy food and water. It really is the stuff of nightmares.

Circumstances, or false imprisonment. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

goz83 wrote: »
    Held hostage on a ryanair flight and forced to buy food and water. It really is the stuff of nightmares.

Smart arse

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dawn1000

baldshin wrote: »
    Hi guys, my flight to Manchester was cancelled this morning, but only after we had boarded and left the gate. As we left the gate, another plane took that spot, meaning there was nowhere to let us disembark (about 50 metres from the gate). We were kept on the plane for 4.5 hours.

What a horrible morning for all of you, totally exhausting for all concerned. I flew out with Ryanair too this morning, thankfully after an hour's delay we took off safely.

Make a complaint, there isn't much else you can do I am afraid. I always bring a bottle of juice a sandwich and some fruit with me, you just never know what delay will pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

goz83 wrote: »

Yeah my nightmares are usually pretty tame so this was up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

• Advertisement

dawn1000 wrote: »
    What a horrible morning for all of you, totally exhausting for all concerned. I flew out with Ryanair too this morning, thankfully after an hour's delay we took off safely.

Make a complaint, there isn't much else you can do I am afraid. I always bring a bottle of juice a sandwich and some fruit with me, you just never know what delay will pop up.

Glad someone got away anyway! Yeah I'll make the complaint but I'm sure it'll be like a needle in a haystack after today! I did bring bring a drink but had it gone within 2 hours. It wasn't like I was parched or anything, more the principle of the thing. Young kids and elderly people on the flight too, really must have been hard on them.

I'm guessing from that there's nothing specific about being stuck on the plane. Thanks for the link though, will lodge a complaint there too.

Well it was quite a shaky take off, plane was wobbling all over the place, must say I said a quite prayer :)

I think parents deserve a medal for sitting that long in a Ryanair plane with young kids. The cost of food on board is astronomical and not everyone can afford it.

Normally Ryanair does a brilliant job, I suppose weather condition being what they were this morning safety of passengers was a priority, though that's not taking from the fact that they could have given a free cup of tea and a few biscuits to all passengers. It would have been a good PR gesture

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Whatever about the shortcomings of Ryanair(I was stuck waiting in the plane for hours before it was cancelled - which is fair enough, these things happen).

But Dublin airport should be ashamed of themselves on their lack of managing the situation. You would think they would have plans and procedures in place to deal with this type of scenario - of course not, the usual paddy management style of don't worry it will be grand, we'll deal with it when it happens...

It was to be fair a total disaster. Management of the Queue(about a three hour wait) was non existent, random queues forming with fights breaking out with people skipping ahead. Saw two separate incidents of paramedics dealing with with people collapsing in the Queue.

A very dangerous situation of overcrowded passengers at the top of an escalator with a clueless airport staff oblivious to the risks just laughing it off.

Dublin airport - sort yourselves out you bunch of clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dawn1000 wrote: »
    Well it was quite a shaky take off, plane was wobbling all over the place, must say I said a quite prayer :)

I think parents deserve a medal for sitting that long in a Ryanair plane with young kids. The cost of food on board is astronomical and not everyone can afford it.

How dare Ryanair be unable to prevent the weather! I for one am outraged!

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    How dare Ryanair be unable to prevent the weather! I for one am outraged!

Not quite sure what your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Surprised they couldn't muster up a bus to get you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

the whole thing was a real clusterfcuk from start to finish with little to no interaction with Ryanair staff. arrived at 8pm last night and didn't leave until after 10am this morning after continually being messed around.

an utter disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

sonic85 wrote: »
    the whole thing was a real clusterfcuk from start to finish with little to no interaction with Ryanair staff. arrived at 8pm last night and didn't leave until after 10am this morning after continually being messed around.

an utter disaster

You are not the OP. Same incident? Or ...???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Jesus I'd be going stir crazy, don't enjoy travelling at the best of time.
    Agree with the DAA comment, I'm sure a free gate could be arranged but that's not up to Ryanair, though they should be ashamed of themselves for not offering a free tea or coffee. Wonder was the 4.5 hours the round trip time and when they finally disembarked was it because the gate was scheduled for that plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I was on a Ryanair flight when it was foggy last month and we were on the plane for 3 hours before they had to let us off. They allowed us back into the terminal where everyone got food and then we got back on the plane. They're allowed to keep you on it for 3 hours but you can ask to get off after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

I had a big post typed out and when I went to submit it I had been automatically logged out!

basically my original flight was delayed by roughly half an hour (9.30 delayed till 10 or so) got on the plane and was there till about 2.30am.

queued at ryanairs desk (huge queue) eventually got my boarding pass stamped and was told our flight was rescheduled for 8am. told on the plane wed be put up for the rest of the night but back in the terminal told all hotels booked solid. people sitting/sleeping everywhere in every nook and cranny.

went back through security for the second time at 5am waited around till our gate was shown then went there to wait and was there until 10am. was told as I was leaving that the flight was still due to go but no time was given.

this evening at 6.55pm finally got a text saying the flight was cancelled. the few staff we seen were worse than useless no help and no fcuks given

Senna wrote: »
    Jesus I'd be going stir crazy, don't enjoy travelling at the best of time.
    Agree with the DAA comment, I'm sure a free gate could be arranged but that's not up to Ryanair, though they should be ashamed of themselves for not offering a free tea or coffee. Wonder was the 4.5 hours the round trip time and when they finally disembarked was it because the gate was scheduled for that plane?

I don't think it was, at the end the pilot said we were waiting for a French Cargo plane to let us in to their space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

There was more than one plane delayed this morning you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Whatever about the shortcomings of Ryanair(I was stuck waiting in the plane for hours before it was cancelled - which is fair enough, these things happen).

But Dublin airport should be ashamed of themselves on their lack of managing the situation. You would think they would have plans and procedures in place to deal with this type of scenario - of course not, the usual paddy management style of don't worry it will be grand, we'll deal with it when it happens...

It was to be fair a total disaster. Management of the Queue(about a three hour wait) was non existent, random queues forming with fights breaking out with people skipping ahead. Saw two separate incidents of paramedics dealing with with people collapsing in the Queue.

A very dangerous situation of overcrowded passengers at the top of an escalator with a clueless airport staff oblivious to the risks just laughing it off.

Dublin airport - sort yourselves out you bunch of clowns.

What queue are you referring to exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

The new Ryanair is pretty much the old Ryanair. And the DAA priorities are their own convenience, the convenience of other airport workers, VIPS, airlines, the shops in the airport and the actual punters come a poor sixth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Everyone slating the cabin crew. Would ya have listened to them? Very doubtfull. People when even the slightest bit annoyed don't take things at face value.

Advertisement