Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary vs Involuntary redundancy

Options
  • 05-12-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,
    Long complicated story condensed.. long (10years +) service in a multinational. Things were good (promotions, progression & good feedback) until I started working for new boss (past 4 months). I feel I am being managed out and they recently gave me feedback that I had 'performance issues'. I resolved any issues (and some communication ones) which I got feedback on but they're still not happy. There's redundancies coming and I feel he wants rid of me. Unfortunately this has been common in my department.

I engaged a solicitor who has advised I could take a constructive dismissal case but the payout is capped at two years salary - which when coupled with fees and tax makes the redundancy cleaner. I’ve weighed it all up and decided its not worth the fight in terms of the stress or health impact or financial burden (there are other jobs in my sector).

My main question is that if I should proactively approach HR and get voluntary redundancy (to avoid the stigma of involuntary) or just wait another month and be made involuntarily redundant.
    Is there tax implications for one rather than the other? I believe the terms are 5weeks per year plus statutory redundancy. I’m investigating my mortgage protection policy and it seems like it’ll pay if I go involuntary. Also wondering about dole while I’m on job search as my partner isn’t working. Currently my salary means they get no benefits.

Anyone have any experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No difference tax wise regardless of whether it's voluntary or involuntary.

Benefits wise you will probably be entitled to JSB,

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

I have been in your position and you have my sympathy, it sucks. At least you are wise to what their plan is, forewarned is forearmed and all that.

My advice is apply for voluntary redundancy now and leave with your head held high. "Onto a better job" is what I'd be telling people in work, at least it sounds like the prospects are good in your industry from what you say. And you will enjoy Christmas without waiting to still hear if you are going or not etc.

I wouldn't put yourself through the emotional stress of waiting to be made redundant and explaining that to future employers, at least if you go voluntarily you are taking control of the (sh!tty) situation.

They say that it can take up to 9 weeks to get JSB if you leave work voluntarily, in my case the Social Welfare still processed my claim immediately, so there was no delay.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Advertisement