Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will there ever be another massive Christmas hit on radio?

• 06-12-2015 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭

Was thinking there from the other thread about reviled Christmas tunes, that there hasn't been a big Christmas radio hit since The Darkness's "Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells end)".... or maybe there has .....

There are always novelty songs put out and you see them on the music channels but none seem to be radio hits.

Have DJs just got enough Christmas tunes to play now or is the quality of new Christmas songs just really poor?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I agree OP, The Darkness seem to have had the last commercial Christmas hit which is comfortably played amongst the Christmas 'staples'.

I have to say though, and this is something of a guilty secret, but there is a Justin Bieber Christmas song that pops up on ChristmasFM a bit and it's quite catchy. I'd assume it did well commercially in America.

I take it you are not including Michael Bublés cover versions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Dont think ther'll be a massive one like White Christmas or Sleigh ride ever again, maybe a no.1 with the odd boy band or Adele maybe..(shivers with the thought :))...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

A good christmas song will guarantee you royalties for life im surprised more artists dont bring one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,857 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In this PC world I don't think it would be possible to release a good Christmas song without someone moaning about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

In this PC world I don't think it would be possible to release a good Christmas song without someone moaning about it.

W9MRzMZ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 jimceart

Bing has still got to be at the top of the tree with White Christmas. Lets not forget the REAL meaning of Christmas- the birth of our saviour Jesus and play Christian songs that reflect that also.

jimceart wrote: »
    Bing has still got to be at the top of the tree with White Christmas. Lets not forget the REAL meaning of Christmas- the alleged birth of our saviour Jesus and play Christian songs that reflect that also.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

;)

There was a man called Jesus Christ definitely born, you meant to put "alleged" before "saviour".

There was a man called Jesus Christ definitely born, you meant to put "alleged" before "saviour".

Youre absolutely right...sure i've seen him on Family Guy......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

OP I'd never even heard of that Darkness one just listening to it now for the first time, isn't great tbh. It is strange alright there aren't more.

Lets not forget the REAL meaning of Christmas- the birth of our saviour Jesus and play Christian songs that reflect that also.

Christmas is a Winter feast taken over by the Christians, it existed in some form before any talk of Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Christmas is a Winter feast taken over by the Christians, it existed in some form before any talk of Christ.

I read that as

"Christmas is a Winter Feast" by The Christians, the 80s band

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Christmas is scheduled to be banned in 2021. It does not fit in with our politically correct society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe it takes a great song writer ,
    or maybe if certain singers got together for a duet.
    There was a lovely song on a colbert xmas special a few years ago sung by feist
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ZCxgp1eBQ
    imagine an adele song
    home at christmas ,

alone , i ,ll be missing you
    it would be a hit .

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I read that as

"Christmas is a Winter Feast" by The Christians, the 80s band

I have it on vinyl...........
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

cruizer101 wrote: »
    OP I'd never even heard of that Darkness one just listening to it now for the first time, isn't great tbh. It is strange alright there aren't more.

Christmas Time by The Darkness gets played quite a bit every year on those Christmas countdowns/favourites on music channels. It also gets played on Christmas FM. Trust me - now that you have heard it, you will hear it again! By the way, I don't mind it!

OP - There have been a few new songs in the last five years or so, foe example: Those Christmas Lights by Coldplay and Once Upon a Christmas Song by Geraldine, aka Peter Kay. Both of these get played quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It does seem that most of the Xmas tunes we hear year in year out date back to the early '70s up to about the mid '80's. Then nothing much at all for about a decade after that until Mariah and Jon Bon Jovi released theirs, around the same time - '94 or '95?

I suppose the singles charts and the hysteria around having an Xmas number 1 is much less these days. I'd also imagine most credible artists wouldn't want to be associated with a naff Xmas record, even if it does spin guaranteed royalties every year!

Cover versions of existing "classics" have mostly be truly abysmal too, and most radio stations revert back to the original versions, e.g. The rehashed versions of Band Aid, Ronan Keating's assault of Fairytale of New York, among others. There's something kinda innocent and genuinely Christmassy about the old classics that fall very flat when they are rehashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Bing has still got to be at the top of the tree with White Christmas. Lets not forget the REAL meaning of Christmas- the birth of our saviour Jesus and play Christian songs that reflect that also.
    White Christmas was written by Irving Berlin - a Jew.

Advertisement