Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish curry paste

Options
  • 06-12-2015 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there I looking for somewhere in Ireland that sells goldfish brand. I'm in Laois but if not somewhere that I can buy it that can post cheap enough. It's working out about €10 to get from uk. Would love if someone could help thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved to Food & Drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This site has it and delivers, not sure of delivery cost (I get phishing warnings about that site)

http://bombaybazar.ie/index.php/chinese-curry-sauce-405gm.html

But it is 3.50 there. I get mine for 3euro in a shop in blackrock market in dublin. It is only 2.50 in some shops in dublin city centre. I found one shop online near heuston station that delivers and it was 2.50 there, but I cannot find it online now, it might have been on the northside but still up around heuston area.

They had reasonable delivery costs, I think 5 euro but it might have been that price just in dublin.

There are other similar chinese curry sauces about, mayflower, and an Irish one called Mr Curry. I think some supervalus have them now. I even saw goldfish in my local tesco, but just once.

10euro is crazy money, hope you are not paying that. In my local takeaway I can get a full tray for 2.60, the foil tray rice usually comes in. It is not on the menu though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

If you are in Dublin there is a shop at the red luas stop on Abbey st that sells it, they also do the extra hot one.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Azrel

There's a Asia market on Drury St Dublin that stocks this (Goldfish brand) and has different flavours of it also. I can never get it to taste exactly like the chinese takeaway though, by following the directions on the box. How do you make it properly, does anyone add coconut milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Azrel wrote: »
    I can never get it to taste exactly like the chinese takeaway
    This user works in takeaways or restaurants.
    RJohnG wrote: »
    rubadub wrote: »

The goldfish brand of chinese curry sauce is pretty close to many takeaways, better than some of my local ones. When it is boiling away it can appear quite thin, but they thicken up when at eating temperature.
    Yes. Some of the 'lazier' Chinese takeaways use this and other brands but it's not the same as using a good home made paste. A good paste has it's own stamp on it and people order because of this. If you are going to use the Goldfish brand you need to use a pork/chicken stock, MSG, sugar and salt and a little chili oil this will give you a kickass taste. Just adding water will not do the business. Oops sorry for the language.

I prefer the goldfish hot & spicy or madras one. The madras one is still like chinese curry sauce, in case you thought it might be indian. I have added chilli powder to the original goldfish and it was more like my local chinese. I have yet to try the other things he recommended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement