Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of guns.

Options
  • 06-12-2015 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

My father in law died 14 months ago and left 2 shot guns that were licenced. My mother in law wouldn't let me do anything about them but now the renewals have come and she wants rid of them. What are her options. I wouldn't say they are worth much. I have a shotgun already which is rarely used. I would take them off her if there wasn't much hassle involved but if there is what do I do. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Your first port of call is to hand the guns into a registered firearms dealer (RFD) straight away. Regardless of the current licenses it is illegal for anyone involved in this situation to be in possession of them as the current licenses were only valid for the now deceased owner. The RFD will give you a receipt for each gun. Then you must notify the Gaurds that the license will not be renewed, fill out the appropriate form FCA2 (Garda.ie .http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=4144&Lang=1) and attach a copy of the RFD receipt.

The guns can be sold on to or gifted to individuals through a RFD. I had a similar situation with my father's gun after he died. I was granted a license for it after applying in the normal way . This is an option for anyone close to the family and qualifies for a firearms license.

The RFD may charge you storage fees or a commission for any sale of the guns.
    The resale value of the guns maybe indeed be 'worthless' but you will more than likely have to pay a destruction charge so may I suggest that after you hand the guns into the RFD you advertise them here priced for the 'costs only' for the services of the RFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Any grandkids in the family who would like to do a bit of shooting? Might be a nice thing to get someone started with a free gun from their grandfather

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Any info on the guns maybe someone here might be in the market for a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Reminds me of what happened to a friend of mine some years ago when his father died. Local Sargent (Who was in charge of Licences) , came round a few months later to "Sort this little problem" out for the widow . He offered to buy them , 2 guns, and made a "Fair Offer" about £200 . My friend asked me to look at them . Long story short --- Sold in UK at auction for £24000. Pair of Purdys .

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Someday it will come back to bite the sergeant in the ass karma is a bitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

mountai wrote: »
    Reminds me of what happened to a friend of mine some years ago when his father died. Local Sargent (Who was in charge of Licences) , came round a few months later to "Sort this little problem" out for the widow . He offered to buy them , 2 guns, and made a "Fair Offer" about £200 . My friend asked me to look at them . Long story short --- Sold in UK at auction for £24000. Pair of Purdys .

know of that to have Happened with certain GS's a few years ago:(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

I've heard that yarn a few times over the years, must be a lot of Gardai Sergeant's buying Purdys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

wouldnt believe that for a minute simply because a garda sergeant wouldnt know a purdy if he was slapped over the head wit one:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I've seen an example of that.Maybe the same story with embellishments.But if it is the same story it was a Merkel double barrel and the story is set up around North Kerry/Limerick border?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

I've heard a few versions of this one as well, lads just love an auld bitch about the local sergeant/guard. With the amount of purdys mentioned the market is surely saturated at this stage :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

No offense to the OP's Guns but I'd safely say 80% of the guns licensed in Ireland are worth very very little maybe a couple of hundred and at least 50% of those aren't worth the cost of the licence. (Unless you believe all the purdy stories)
    People have a miss founded believe that old equals valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Mother in law just on phone. The 2 makes of gun on the renewals forms are investarms and erbi. No model no,s. I know one is a 12 gauge and one is a .410 bore. Sorry don't have anymore info at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ok ,I dont think you need worry that anyone is going to try and jap you out of anything of great monetary value with those two brands.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Would they be worth anything . I know I don't have much detail on them at moment. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Would be interested to see a photo of the .410 if you could get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If you could throw up a couple of photos and more details, i might have an interest, as i might be looking for a cheap shotgun on top of another purchase i am planning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads

While every effort to help the OP is welcomed and encouraged please remember this is not a for sale thread and as such any posts asking for prices or other details relating to buying them will be removed.

If the OP wishes to advertise the guns then he may contact myself or one of the Mods and we'll help him through the process of advertising them on the forum.

Of course anything that goes on between users via PM is perfectly fine.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement