Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best smartphone for under €400

• 06-12-2015 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Looking for a new android phone for christmas and i dont know ehich is best?Oneplus2.....i dont know

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Looking for a new android phone for christmas and i dont know ehich is best?Oneplus2.....i dont know

Vodafone smart ultra 6

169 euro, you won't get a better phone for less than 500

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭patrickLouth1

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Vodafone smart ultra 6

Hm ill consider bit of a stupid question but does it have to be on vodaphone network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Hm ill consider bit of a stupid question but does it have to be on vodaphone network

You can get it unlocked for about €3.50 on eBay. You get the unlock code within a few hours.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

You can unlock it to any network for 3euros. You get the codes off eBay.

There is a thread here all about the phone, worth a look. It convinced me too buy one and I am thrilled with the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

It will be locked to vodafone but its easily unlocked.Good thread here on the phone including a link for unlocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

For under 500? You give him the ultra 6. Laughable. It's a good phone, but with a budget of above 200 it doesn't stand a chance to the high end phones. Op2 is a completely different experience. I personally love the look of the Oneplus x. Loads to chose from, the ultra 6 is a decent phone. It's like he moto g days all over again here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

How much is the HTC A9? Superfantastico phone... it might just be within your budget & is a solid piece of hardware!

Would the oneplustwo be the best though?Even with the ultra 6 being cheaper

RossieMan wrote: »
    For under 500? You give him the ultra 6. Laughable. It's a good phone, but with a budget of above 200 it doesn't stand a chance to the high end phones. Op2 is a completely different experience. I personally love the look of the Oneplus x. Loads to chose from, the ultra 6 is a decent phone. It's like he moto g days all over again here.[/QUOTE

Was thinking the oneplus2 or oneplusX not too sure any opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Vodafone smart ultra 6

OnePlus X for €294 delivered

https://oneplus.net/ie/x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Zuk z1 is a great phone with a huge battery. Can be got for sub 300 . highly recommend.

OnePlus X for €294 delivered

What exactly is better about that?For the extra 120,what do you get?

Ultra has better cameras, bigger screen, Octacore processer, the best battery I've seen on any smart phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I have an su6 and it's unbeatable for the price, great phone.
    I got my other half an LG g3 in argos for 280 and it's unreal. Exceptional camera, unreal qhd screen, slim size as the screen takes up most of the face and it's quick.
    If I had the option I'd get myself a g3 and keep the su6 as a 2nd device as it's too good to get rid of at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

RossieMan wrote:
    For under 500? You give him the ultra 6. Laughable. It's a good phone, but with a budget of above 200 it doesn't stand a chance to the high end phones. Op2 is a completely different experience. I personally love the look of the Oneplus x. Loads to chose from, the ultra 6 is a decent phone. It's like he moto g days all over again here.

Reviews of OnePlus 2 not good. I've the OnePlus 1 and it's a great phone

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kobe

I think you can find nexus 6 under €500 now, great build quality and future proof.

How are the cameras better? Because it says they have more megapixels? The screen is worse, it may be bigger but pixel density is much worse.

No one is saying the su6 is a bad phone, but with a budget above 200. Its not the choice to go for. It's not even the best phone for under 200, its just the best from a bricks and motor store here in Ireland. Better spec can easily be got from China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

What exactly is better about that?For the extra 120,what do you get?

Ultra has better cameras, bigger screen, Octacore processer, the best battery I've seen on any smart phone

Hold on, are you saying the Ultra has a good camera??? All reviews I've read say it's poor.

More cores does not mean the cpu is better, bigger screen is not better, more megapixels does not mean the camera is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

Have you looked at the Huawei P8? Excellent phone, high spec, well built and still within your budget.
    I've been using it for about a month and I'm really happy with it.

elysium321 wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Huawei P8? Excellent phone, high spec, well built and still within your budget.
    I've been using it for about a month and I'm really happy with it.

Ill look into it how much is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

Ill look into it how much is it

It was about £290 on amazon for a SIM free variant. Not sure elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Kobe wrote:
    I think you can find nexus 6 under €500 now, great build quality and future proof.

I'll add a vote for the Nexus 6. Was expensive at launch but a bargain now. You can't beat pure Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Moto X Play is only 350 quid in Argos and runs almost pure Android.

Nexus 6 is amazing value but its a gigantic bloody phone which might not be to everyone's taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Venom wrote:
    Nexus 6 is amazing value but its a gigantic bloody phone which might not be to everyone's taste.

Venom wrote:

Bigger is always better! Except spiders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ponzook

LG G3 is a fantastic phone, can be got for 300. 1440p screen

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Huawei ascend g7 was being bigged up on today fm the other night.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Huawei ascend g7 was being bigged up on today fm the other night.

It's a piece of crap. Crap screen, terrible terrible android interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

ponzook wrote: »
    It's a piece of crap. Crap screen, terrible terrible android interface.

Eh no its not :eek::mad::confused:

Its a brilliant phone, great little apps from the manufacturer compared to the usual crippling built in apps.

Easy to get bootloader unlocked and then rooted

Excellent camera, even people who haven't a clue about tech stuff comment on the quality of my pictures

I'm a heavy user and get a day and a bit usage(1 Day 10 Hours by a battery app)

2Gb ram so never feels sluggish or get the x app is responding

Huge internal space and SD slot if need be

Stock launcher is crap, but no end of launchers out there

Double tap to wake phone

Press the volume button twice to take a picture from sleep

To me it was dear(gone down a bit), but as the saying goes you get what you pay for

ANY questions or stuff I missed just ask, this is my second Huawei phone, I got her mother to get one and now herself is getting one.
    Most if not all the dongles for mobile internet is made my Huawei

jeffk wrote: »
    Eh no its not :eek::mad::confused:

Its a brilliant phone, great little apps from the manufacturer compared to the usual crippling built in apps.

Easy to get bootloader unlocked and then rooted

Excellent camera, even people who haven't a clue about tech stuff comment on the quality of my pictures

I'm a heavy user and get a day and a bit usage(1 Day 10 Hours by a battery app)

2Gb ram so never feels sluggish or get the x app is responding

Huge internal space and SD slot if need be

Stock launcher is crap, but no end of launchers out there

Double tap to wake phone

Press the volume button twice to take a picture from sleep

To me it was dear(gone down a bit), but as the saying goes you get what you pay for

ANY questions or stuff I missed just ask, this is my second Huawei phone, I got her mother to get one and now herself is getting one.
    Most if not all the dongles for mobile internet is made my Huawei

hauwei G7 is far far from the best phone sub 400, and i mean far from it. The Vodafone one for 160 is a much better phone. It is not a brilliant phone. Its bog standard phone.

Hauwei G7 720x1280 267 ppi which is horrendous for a 5.5 inch phone.
    oneplusone 1080 x 1920 pixels 401 ppi pixel density.
    LG G3 1440 x 2560 pixels 538 ppi pixel density.

He has 400 to spend so wouldn't be buying that G7 phone! Also only a Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53 so please tell me its still the best phone sub 400?
    The OP has 400 and specking that phone to him is plain wrong. Its not the best phone sub 400 and definitely far from it.

Its a budget phone and not a very good one. The vodafone one that people a good bit is a better phone./

hauwei G7 is far far from the best phone sub 400, and i mean far from it. The Vodafone one for 160 is a much better phone. It is not a brilliant phone. Its bog standard phone.

Hauwei G7 720x1280 267 ppi which is horrendous for a 5.5 inch phone.
    oneplusone 1080 x 1920 pixels 401 ppi pixel density.
    LG G3 1440 x 2560 pixels 538 ppi pixel density.

He has 400 to spend so wouldn't be buying that G7 phone! Also only a Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53 so please tell me its still the best phone sub 400?
    The OP has 400 and specking that phone to him is plain wrong. Its not the best phone sub 400 and definitely far from it.

Its a budget phone and not a very good one. The vodafone one that people a good bit is a better phone./

You’ve changed, you said it was

“It's a piece of crap. Crap screen, terrible terrible android interface.”
    Now
    hauwei G7 is far far from the best phone sub 400, and i mean far from it.

That’s a big jump, the phone costs 180, if you spend 220 more on ANY item of course you will get better.

It’s down to the person, maybe he’s not worried about how many pixels the phone has, if you don’t want films etc all the time then I doubt they will want more pixels. Plus at the end of the day it’s a 5” screen not a 40” tv we are talking about.

You keep saying it’s a crap phone etc, yet numerous people in the know in the media love it. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean its crap.

What phone do you have?

• Advertisement

Also
    It’s a Vodafone smart ultra 6, yes the unlock code is buttons, but what happens if the phone breaks. Go back to Vodafone with a phone never used on their network that’s unlocked and look to be fixed under warranty. Doubt that will go down well.

The Huawei is unlocked at point of sale, you have issues you go back with the phone as it was sold and they won’t care what network you did or didn’t use it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Also
    It’s a Vodafone smart ultra 6, yes the unlock code is buttons, but what happens if the phone breaks. Go back to Vodafone with a phone never used on their network that’s unlocked and look to be fixed under warranty. Doubt that will go down well.
    I got mine fixed without any issue. As long as you go in with the stock firmware in it unrooted you shouldn't have any problems. Just go in with no sim inserted.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

You’ve changed, you said it was

“It's a piece of crap. Crap screen, terrible terrible android interface.”
    Now
    hauwei G7 is far far from the best phone sub 400, and i mean far from it.

That’s a big jump, the phone costs 180, if you spend 220 more on ANY item of course you will get better.

It’s down to the person, maybe he’s not worried about how many pixels the phone has, if you don’t want films etc all the time then I doubt they will want more pixels. Plus at the end of the day it’s a 5” screen not a 40” tv we are talking about.

You keep saying it’s a crap phone etc, yet numerous people in the know in the media love it. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean its crap.

What phone do you have?

We have to agree to disagree I suppose, if your happy with the phone then fair enough. I have a note 4, one plus one and a S4.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    I got mine fixed without any issue. As long as you go in with the stock firmware in it unrooted you shouldn't have any problems. Just go in with no sim inserted.

Good to know, thought they would be all like its unlocked or not been used on our network sorry wont fix it.

We have to agree to disagree I suppose, if your happy with the phone then fair enough. I have a note 4, one plus one and a S4.

Well I paid €280 for a phone and love it, you paid almost a thousand euro on three phones, I don't think your the best one to give advice on staying in a €400 budget ;)

Well I paid €280 for a phone and love it, you paid almost a thousand euro on three phones, I don't think your the best one to give advice on staying in a €400 budget ;)

I think I am cause the one plus one is 250 now, LG G3 is 350 but each to their own :)

• Advertisement

This isn't a "my phone is better than yours thread" lads, keep that ****e for PMs.

RossieMan wrote:
    This isn't a "my phone is better than yours thread" lads, keep that ****e for PMs.

Someone recommended a phone I own, then someone who doesn't own it said it was crap, so I left my view as I own it

I know its not the best phone in the world, but its a great phone well within budget

Advertisement