Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activating new debit card

Options
  • 06-12-2015 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I recieved my new visa debit card today and it was sent on the 25/11/2015 (my post gets sent to my parents house as I am renting for college terms and only recieved my letter from their house today). Just wondering do I need to get a new card sent out again as it has been longer than the 7 day activation that the letter states?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

sevg wrote: »
    I recieved my new visa debit card today and it was sent on the 25/11/2015 (my post gets sent to my parents house as I am renting for college terms and only recieved my letter from their house today). Just wondering do I need to get a new card sent out again as it has been longer than the 7 day activation that the letter states?
    Good Morning sevg,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.

Yes you can certainly still activate your Visa Debit Card. In order to do this, please go to any ATM and withdraw funds or if using a Bank of Ireland ATM you can simply check your balance and this will also activate the card for you.

If there is anything else we can help you with please don’t hesitate in contacting us again.

Have a good day.

Helen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Hi Helen,
    I have a similar issue, only received my new Visa debit card yesterday with letter dated 25 Nov. I note the letter doesn't say you can either withdraw cash at any ATM or use it to check your balance on a BOI ATM to activate, the wording says complete a transaction (such as withdrawing cash) at any BOI ATM. Pity it didn't state it the way you did as I could have activated it easily at a non-BOI ATM yesterday... Are you sure it can still be activated although more than 7 days have passed? If this is the case, why does the letter state it must be activated within 7 days :confused:

Is this another case of letters with less than clear instructions and better advice on here! They should really run them past you guys before pressing print!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sevg

I tried to activate my card as helen said it would be fine even though the 7 days were past and it still kept saying that my card could not be read. Had to ring the bank myselfto ask them to reactivate the new card. You'll prob have to contact your branch to get them to reactivate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi sevg and Poochie05,

Just wanted to come back to you here and let you know that we are looking into this further for you and will get back here again on Monday.

Just to mention sevg, if you're card is not working, it may be worthwhile calling our customer service team on 0818 365 365 to have this investigated.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sevg

Hi sevg and Poochie05,

Just wanted to come back to you here and let you know that we are looking into this further for you and will get back here again on Monday.

Just to mention sevg, if you're card is not working, it may be worthwhile calling our customer service team on 0818 365 365 to have this investigated.

Thanks,
    Elaine

Hey elaine. I had tried to activate it after the original 7 days were originally up as I was previously told here that I could still do it but that was not the case, the atm kept saying that my card could not be read.

my card is working now but I had to ring my own branch to get them to reset it so I could start the 7 days to activate the card again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just updating here, I used my card for the first time at a non-BOI ATM to withdraw cash earlier this week and it worked no problem even though the seven days have long passed. Just thought I'd try based on the advice here, and it paid off without having to contact my bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

sevg wrote: »
    I tried to activate my card as helen said it would be fine even though the 7 days were past  and it still kept saying that my card could not be read. Had to ring the bank myselfto ask them to reactivate the new card. You'll prob have to contact your branch to get them to reactivate it
    Morning sevg, 

Apologies for the delay in our reply here. 

We've double checked this for you and can confirm that you can still activate your card after 7 days. This time frame is given purely ensure customers activate their cards as soon as possible. We can certainly understand the confusion cause by this and we've passed on the feedback from this thread to our Cards Team to review the wording within this letter. 

We would like to thank you and Poochie05 for your input on this idea. 

Elaine

Advertisement