Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to gaming

Options
  • 06-12-2015 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Getting my first new PlayStation since my ps2 so it's been a good few years since I picked up a game controller.
    Have just one basic question ...where do I start and what games do I get,I remember I liked first person shooter but don't know if I would like on line play would prefer story mode...any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Also is 40 to old to start gaming :o
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

harr wrote: »
    Also is 40 to old to start gaming :o
    Thanks

lol, No, not at all :)

Are you getting a PS4? I'm not a massive fan of first person shooters. I've heard really good things about "last of us" but not sure if it's exactly a shooter.

I'm sure you will get some good recommendations in here.

I tend not to play online too much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

keith16 wrote: »
    lol, No, not at all :)

Are you getting a PS4? I'm not a massive fan of first person shooters. I've heard really good things about "last of us" but not sure if it's exactly a shooter.

I'm sure you will get some good recommendations in here.

I tend not to play online too much these days.
    Hi ,yes a ps4 from Santa 😜 I would probably last only a couple of seconds on line ..thanks for the game recommendation, open to all recommendations not shooters 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GoodKill

I only got back into it last year too! Great fun.

I was torn between the PS4 and Xbox One. Went for the PS4 mainly because of the Uncharted series and the fact the new Tomb Raider was going to be a timed exclusive on the Xbox.

Anyway, I got the package with the Last of Us. Excellent game. Not an FPS, but a great adventure game with plenty to shoot at! I also got Call of Duty: Ghosts. Perhaps not the best in the series, but as a fan of shooter's I really enjoyed it. So I don't think you can go wrong with any of those if you're into that sort of thing.

I recently got the Uncharted series last weekend and I'm on the second one now! Can't put it down. The first one has aged a little, but enjoyable nonetheless. Again plenty of shooting going on.

I'd recommend the Last of Us and Uncharted. Great story modes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you have a skim around some other threads, there have been a lot asked recently about which games to get. They should give you a good idea based on what you like, be they sports, driving, action etc. And no, 40 definitely isn't too old......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

If you have a PS Account then Drake's Uncharted collection is 30E, today's the last day for that. 3 games for 30 euro is excellent value.

Then when you've time
    The Last of Us
    Wolfenstein - is excellent
    Diablo III

at least to start with ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Wolfenstein the old blood (the sequel) I haven't been able to get into. Loved the first one though
    oh and the Last of Us is always among the answers to this question

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Far Cry 4 is a worthwhile purchase. You should be able to pick it up cheaply now on PSN.

The problem with a lot of FPS is that the majority of them focus on multiplayer and if you're starting off there, you can expect to die a lot within a couple of seconds.

The Last of Us Remastered is a fantastic game. It was my first experience of playing a 60FPS game, so expect the animations to be quicker than you'd expect. This took me a short while to get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Thanks for all the suggestions ,so I definitely need a PlayStation account? That's one thing I did not know,is it cheaper to download games from the online store.

A PlayStation account is required if you want to access online gaming, I believe? But that might be wrong. Honestly, it's a pretty good thing to have any way. A year long membership is about €49.99, but you get between 2 and 4 (it varies sometimes) games that can be downloaded for free each month and often times these are great games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah you need a PSN account to play online. The games bought via the store tend to be more expensive, if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thanks for all the suggestions ,so I definitely need a PlayStation account? That's one thing I did not know,is it cheaper to download games from the online store.

Set up an account with your email when you have a chance...

If you fancy playing games with others online you NEED a PS+ Account (50 for year)

You also get a few free games with that every month, this month is Gauntlet remake and Kings Quest...

Some games work out cheaper off store if they are on sale, most are cheaper on launch day in Argos though and usually go up in price that weekend of release

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

It is not necessarily always cheaper to get from the PS Store, but you can pick up some bargains, the Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection is half price during the 12 days of Christmas sale but otherwise it is about the same as in shops. I would keep an eye on the rest of those sales too, before buying anything else for now, you never know what will turn up there. But yes, a Playstation account is a must. You can set this up online with a PC.

If you do decide to play online, you will need a Playstation Plus subscription, but even if you don't want to go online, it is worth it anyway. €50 for the year, Free games every month and there are some terrific ones in there (a few duds too though).

I am not a fan of FPS's, so away from those I recommend:
    Last of us
    Tomb Raider
    Batman Arkham Knight
    I haven't played the Uncharted collection on the PS4, but I have played them on the PS3 and they were excellent on that so if you can get them today for 10 quid a pop, I say go for it.

Oh, and finally, I hope to god 40 isn't too old. If it is I should have stopped years ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Good storyline games would be the last of remastered,just cause 3

Personally I wouldn't bother with digital download because at some point you will no longer play it and with a hard copy you can sell it or trade it in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Not enough people know about Shadow Warrior. It can be bought cheap nowadays. It has solid gameplay with a variety of upgradable weapons and swords, a surprisingly deep & interesting story and it's hilarious too!

Advertisement