Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone repair cost? Charger port

Options
  • 06-12-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how much it cost around moore street to have a charger port fixed for iPhone 6?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Anyone know how much it cost around moore street to have a charger port fixed for iPhone 6?

I don't know about Moore Street - but if you call Express Tech on Baggot St they should give you a quote, it'll give you something to go on: http://www.expresstech.ie/collections/iphone-6-repair/products/iphone-6-charging-dock-repair?variant=1245589288

They're really good - fast repairs and really professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I'm not sure what the going rate is lately but when I got the charging port on my iPhone 5 replaced it was €45. If your going to the Moore St area then I would highly recommend a shop in the ILAC Centre. I cant think of the name now but its a gadget shop in the Moore St entrance on the right hand side across from Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dancor wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the going rate is lately but when I got the charging port on my iPhone 5 replaced it was €45. If your going to the Moore St area then I would highly recommend a shop in the ILAC Centre. I cant think of the name now but its a gadget shop in the Moore St entrance on the right hand side across from Dunnes.

FoneFixer is the name of that crowd. Got my charger port replaced on an S5 a few months back and it cost €50 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Would an iPhone 6 not still be under warranty? If it's younger than two years it should be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I got my iPhone 4s charger port fixed in GSM Solutions (Upper Abbey Street) for about €40/€50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,855 ✭✭✭✭L1011

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Would an iPhone 6 not still be under warranty? If it's younger than two years it should be

Apple warranty is one year. The "eu two year warranty" does not exist in Irish law as we have very different protections. It'd be hard to claim a charging port under them as its visually user damage

L1011 wrote: »
    Apple warranty is one year. The "eu two year warranty" does not exist in Irish law as we have very different protections. It'd be hard to claim a charging port under them as its visually user damage

Without wanting to take the thread further off topic, the EU two year warranty very much exists in Ireland. The conditions it contains are the minimum allowable by a member state, so it's possible that the Irish rights are stronger. Any time I've had an issue with a HTC etc. within two years they've taken the phone back. One of these issues, incidentally was a charging port. That can be caused by a number of things. Even if plugging the charger in and out caused it, it's fair to expect that you should be able to do that without it breaking

Edit: I should point out that the two year minimum warranty is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. Apple are often one in the same but usually in Ireland I suppose the phone comes from a network operator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Was gonna say avoid GSM solutions.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Without wanting to take the thread further off topic, the EU two year warranty very much exists in Ireland. The conditions it contains are the minimum allowable by a member state

No, it doesn't - at all. You are giving incorrect, bad advice.

It was never transcribed to Irish law as our terms were deemed stronger.

You have a one year statutory warranty with the retailer and up to 6 years under the Sale of Goods Act. That's it. No two years. Your experiences with HTC do not equate to what the law is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Continuing the dragging... are you sure its 6 years? I thought it was "a reasonable length of time", with no figure set in stone?

• Advertisement

Continuing the dragging... are you sure its 6 years? I thought it was "a reasonable length of time", with no figure set in stone?

Yes, Statute of Limitations as amended by the Sale Of Goods Act itself:

"(5) In the case of an action claiming damages under section 13 (7) of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980, subsection (1) of this section shall have effect as if for the words ‘six years’ there were substituted the words ‘two years’.”.

However, that is a maximum - trying to claim six years on a disposable camera or something like that that is clearly designed for, marketed and sold for a much shorter term won't work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd be asking more why a 400-500 euro bit of kit keeps breaking at its charger port. It's not like Apple can't design one that wouldn't break.

L1011 wrote: »
    No, it doesn't - at all. You are giving incorrect, bad advice.

It was never transcribed to Irish law as our terms were deemed stronger.

You have a one year statutory warranty with the retailer and up to 6 years under the Sale of Goods Act. That's it. No two years. Your experiences with HTC do not equate to what the law is!

After looking into it further I see you're right. Apologies for the incorrect info. It seems to be incorrect advice that is given frequently around the Web. I suppose what confused me was mixing up the way most phone manufacturers give their own two year warranty in the EU and that 2 year EU thing. Good to be clear on it now

Advertisement