Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens birthday cake

Options
  • 06-12-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I bought two silicone cake moulds in the shape of fairy's to use as a birthday cake. There's no measurement on the moulds for example an 8oz round cake tin. I poured 1.5 litres of water into each mould.
    Can anyone give me measurements or a recipie for these two moulds please? It's for a child's birthday so there will be chocolate involved!!! Some sort of chocolate cake please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

That's the same capacity of a 9 inch round or 8 inch square tin, so you could use a sandwich cake recipe designed for either of those size tins but watch the cooking time. For example, you might need to cover the edges with foil towards the end of the cooking time to avoid burning or overcooking the edges.
    This is a lovely recipe designed for an 8 inch round sandwich cake, you could try scaling it up by 1.3 for your tin http://odlums.ie/recipes/chocolate-fudge-sandwich/ Probably wouldn't need to increase the icing quantity by quite as much but with kids in the house a bit of extra icing won't go to waste I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Thank you. Until.you said it was the same it actually never occurred to me to also measure a eight inch tin to see if it was the same!!
    Feel very stupid now! Thank you. I'll experiment with that recipe before the birthday.

Dee_mc, thanks for that recipie. The cake went down a treat. Can I ask for help on one more thing? I've done two trial runs and both times some of the cake stuck to the mould. I used butter paper the first time with lots of butter on it and really got into all the comers. The second time I used a pastry brush with melted butter to get into all the corners. Both times I felt I got into all the nooks and crannies on the silicone mould. Both times I didn't successfully get the cake out of the mould in one piece. Any advice for me please? Is it easier remove the cake when it's hot, warm or cold. I've never used silicone moulds before. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Dee_mc, thanks for that recipie. The cake went down a treat. Can I ask for help on one more thing? I've done two trial runs and both times some of the cake stuck to the mould. I used butter paper the first time with lots of butter on it and really got into all the comers. The second time I used a pastry brush with melted butter to get into all the corners. Both times I felt I got into all the nooks and crannies on the silicone mould. Both times I didn't successfully get the cake out of the mould in one piece. Any advice for me please? Is it easier remove the cake when it's hot, warm or cold. I've never used silicone moulds before. Thanks!!

That's an issue I've always had with silicone moulds. The best success I've had has been when I've used Frylight spray (the sunflower one is the most neutral flavour) to grease the tin. My sister in law swears by this stuff http://www.oetker.ie/ie-en/our-products/home-baking/baking-ingredients/cake-release-spray/cake-release-spray.html
    Edit to add, I let the cake cool slightly in the tin (10 to 15 minutes) before putting it on a wire rack to cool fully. I've also forgotten to remove it from the mould after the 10 to 15 minutes and found that it comes out perfectly so it might be worth just leaving the cake in the mould on top of a wire rack until it's cold!

Your a gem!! Thanks for the fast reply as I'm literally in my kitchen about to grease it. I'll use the oil. Never heard of cake release spray!! Always used butter or greaseproof paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

After you grease it shake in some flour and tap it around to give it a light coating stuck to the grease, far more likely to come out then.

Advertisement