Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying with baby - different surname (passport)

Options
  • 06-12-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First time posting in this forum! My girlfriend and I are expecting our first baby in spring 2016.

We are not married. I was wondering what difficulties my girlfriend would have through passport control if she was travelling alone with the baby - with the baby having my surname on his/her passport?

Would a copy of the birth certificate suffice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I never had an issue

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I bring their birth certs too but we have never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Dublin have become much stricter on this since the civilian staff took over. I got given out to this evening because I didn't hand his birth certificate over when I was handing in the passports! (It was in my bag)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Would it be possible to put both surnames on his passport? I remember filling in the form for my own son recently and there was a bit "name to appear on passport" then "name on birth cert". I don't know how it would work with putting a name on the passport that wasn't on the birth cert though. My passport is double barrelled, but my son's only has my husband's (my married) surname on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I had problems at Dublin and London airports, maybe because i'm not an Irish passport holder. I was adviced to bring copies of my children's birth certificates AS WELL AS my marriage certificate next time round. The officer at the London passport control even called out my son's name to see if he responded. For verification. With a then 6-month old baby. I mean, C'mon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I had problems at Dublin and London airports, maybe because i'm not an Irish passport holder. I was adviced to bring copies of my children's birth certificates AS WELL AS my marriage certificate next time round. The officer at the London passport control even called out my son's name to see if he responded. For verification. With a then 6-month old baby. I mean, C'mon.

hahaha.

Imagine if he had, child prodigy!

I travel regularly with my daughter we have different surnames. In Ireland it's never been so much as commented on (that's Dublin and Cork airports) but if I'm showing a passport in a country I'm not from, I have to have birth cert, and a copy of her Dad's passport (marriage cert is another optional one)

So the short answer is: No there is no problem, as long as you prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I've never had to bring birth certificate, surely the child's passport is enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

foodaholic wrote: »
    I've never had to bring birth certificate, surely the child's passport is enough ?

This is not about the citizenship of the child and their right to enter the country or not but 'child protection' and verifying that the person travelling with the child is indeed their parent/guardian.

Personally I think parents/guardians should be named on a child's passport. After all you have to sign the form to consent for the passport to be issued. This would also cover cases when the guardians are someone other than the birth parents.

I am still debating about whether to complain about the official in Dublin Airport last night, I don't mind being asked but she was very rude and told me I should always hand the birth certificate over up front. I'd like clarification if this is now official policy at Dublin as I think it should be publicised if it is. I also foresee a lot of questions every time if this is the case as my son was born in the U.S. and birth certs are issued by each state rather than nationally so the officials wouldn't be that familiar with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I flew to London Gatwick from Dublin last Friday and back on Sunday and have my 14 month old daughter with me. I never changed my name after getting married so she has a different name on her passport.
    No one batted an eyelid and there were no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

Flying into Canada with my two kids I was told I needed a letter from my husband stating that I was authorized to travel with them, different surnames at the time. I told him my husband was in the arrivals hall he could ask him himself if he wanted to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

As some have pointed out they have had no issues, but sometimes you will always get one, would you not double barrell your babies name, ,,which might make it easier and less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Never been as issue for us. I worked in travel for 16 years and never saw different names causing a problem. It's quite common in other countries for blended families, second marriages and so on so it wasn't unusual to have different surnames travelling together. Legally too it makes no sense that the parent with the common surname has more say than the one with the different one either. If it makes you feel more secure no harm to bring a copy of the birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

As some have pointed out they have had no issues, but sometimes you will always get one, would you not double barrell your babies name, ,,which might make it easier and less hassle

I would not make a decision about such a huge thing as a child's surname, just to avoid hassle at airports
    If you have copy of birth cert, copy of marriage cert if applicable, copy of Dad's passport and/or a letter from Dad if required, there is no issue!
    I have a holder for my daughter's passport and i have the photocopies shoved into the holder so they're Always with the passport. If asked, I show them, we head through. No dramas

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I had this issue in Dublin airport in June when returning from the UK with my daughter alone. No issues going out but at passport control on the return leg I was asked my relationship to her and advised to bring a copy of her birth cert if travelling without my husband in future. He also called out her name which she responded to.

My passport is due for renewal soon and I considered changing to my married name for convenience but I've changed my mind now. I want to keep my name and don't intend changing bank accounts, email address, driving licence etc so I'm just gonna carry her birth certificate when travelling. It's not a big inconvenience really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I brought a letter from my now husband to explain that the child was our son and that as his father he had given his permission for me to take him abroad.

Advertisement