Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flooding.

• 06-12-2015 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭

People on the news complaining about having their homes and businesses flooded on a regular basis.
    Once I can understand but surely they can take simple measures to protect their properties?Not like it wasn't predicted.
    Flood barriers are available and are simple to install,even a three quid tub of Silicone generously applied will more than likely do the trick.
    Don't get the need for allowing properties to be destroyed unnecessarily.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Condoms can be filled with sand and used as sand bags also, people need to think outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

You say that, but our utility room was flooded yesterday and all the silicone in the world wouldn't have helped. I took a bag of ice cubes out of the freezer to make room for some meat and I forgot to put them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

stimpson wrote: »
    You say that, but our utility room was flooded yesterday and all the silicone in the world wouldn't have helped. I took a bag of ice cubes out of the freezer to make room for some meat and I forgot to put them back.

Desmond 0.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

kneemos wrote: »
    People on the news complaining about having their homes and businesses flooded on a regular basis.
    Once I can understand but surely they can take simple measures to protect their properties?Not like it wasn't predicted.
    Flood barriers are available and are simple to install,even a three quid tub of Silicone generously applied will more than likely do the trick.

I'm sure a tube of Tech7 would've prevented this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

stimpson wrote: »

You ice cube killer !!!!! I'm reporting you to green peace as a prime example of how global warming effects our our ice levels. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Nip out into the nearest river with yer tub of silicone and some plywood and show em how it's done. Post pics..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Everyone should live on hills.

Everyone should live on hills.

Would beat living in them anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

All the cattle had to be taken off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Silicone, are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

xabi wrote: »

You'll rarely if ever hear of flooding in Silicone Valley.

xabi wrote: »

For the level of water most people have lapping at their doors it's more than adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Need more flooding to wash away the filth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

For the level of water most people have lapping at their doors it's more than adequate.

Bull. You have obviously never seen the destruction a flood causes to a home or the sheer persistence of water entering a premises. It takes a lot more than a tube of silicon to protect your home from rising water.

Bull. You have obviously never seen the destruction a flood causes to a home or the sheer persistence of water entering a premises. It takes a lot more than a tube of silicon to protect your home from rising water.

No Bull . I've heard of people doing it.
    That's what it's for,to prevent water entering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'm sure a tube of Tech7 would've prevented this.

Might have needed two or three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

No Bull . I've heard of people doing it.
    That's what it's for,to prevent water entering.

Fecking silicon won't even stop water going down behind my bath. Let alone a river running past my door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Flooding...

That's what happens when Jay Cartwright walks into a night club full of girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

You haven't a clue what you are talking about, though I'm not surprised. Stick to your question thread.

Eutow wrote: »
    You haven't a clue what you are talking about, though I'm not surprised. Stick to your question thread.

I live in a flood prone area . shopkeepers and home owners have learned to take preventative measures rather than suffer the same plight repeatedly.
    Flood bars and siliconing doors work a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Condoms can be filled with sand and used as sand bags also, people need to think outside the box.
    As long as they haven't been in the box go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

You have no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I live in a flood prone area . shopkeepers and home owners have learned to take preventative measures rather than suffer the same plight repeatedly.
    Flood bars and siliconing doors work a treat.

A tube of silicon will not prevent your home or business from rising flood water. You like starting bullsh!t threads. This is one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It does help though, in fairness, might not stop the water getting in but anything that slows it down can do no harm.

Eutow wrote: »
    A tube of silicon will not prevent your home or business from rising flood water. You like starting bullsh!t threads. This is one of them.

Certainly will.A PVC door is already airtight,it only needs a little extra.
    If the water level was very high it might push the door inwards,but a lot of it is less than a foot in debth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

But condoms are more an inside the box kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Certainly will.A PVC door is already airtight,it only needs a little extra.
    If the water level was very high it might push the door inwards,but a lot of it is less than a foot in debth.

Ho humm. Air tight is tighter than water tight.

What about the vents, that will be in rooms with wooden floors?

And when "water" starts entering the house from sewer and drains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

More Silicone..

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Passed through Bandon last night and the water was coming up through the drains. The river hadn't reached peak flood level at 7.30. River hadnt burst its banks either. Nothing on the scale of the 2009 flooding. Fighting over fish in the river and court cases over awarding of tender for flood prevention works has delayed the work. Phone in radio should be good tomorrow. Never saw such a crowd around the town as at 10.30 last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

GMSA wrote: »
    Passed through Bandon last night and the water was coming up through the drains. The river hadn't reached peak flood level at 7.30. River hadnt burst its banks either. Nothing on the scale of the 2009 flooding. Fighting over fish in the river and court cases over awarding of tender for flood prevention works has delayed the work. Phone in radio should be good tomorrow. Never saw such a crowd around the town as at 10.30 last night.

No silicon in Bandon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....and in through the drains etc.
    Temporary measures such as Sandbags etc will only stop waves getting in caused by traffic on flooded roads.

If the level of water is higher than your front door it will seep in through the walls etc and your only hope is if the water level drops quickly after the rain stops, which did not happen with desmond as the rain lasted 24 hrs or more.

Water will get in anywhere it can and no amount of silicone will keep it out unless you coat the foundations walls and the entire boundary of the house in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Sometimes when I read a thread I just think to myself, God give me strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

If your house gets flooded , I could give you a tent.
    Will that do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Nope, my only issues are the electricity :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

If God don't give you strength, a tube of silicone will do the trick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Its that easy is it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Given the amount of places given planning permission on flood plains through planning corruption and short-sighted hardscaped development in flood prone areas it is hardly fair to point the finger at the poor homeowner.

Try to point this out of course and people trot out the old arguments about "serial objectors".

Case in point...
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/an-taisce-criticises-ambitious-expansion-plans-for-galway-harbour-30908378.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I live next to a river or the sea my house floods what sorcery is this. In other news my house in Tornado alley was blown down.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Highly absorbent kitchen-roll - be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

He does have a point though. If you live in a flood zone there are plenty of things the owner can do to mitigate the risk to property:

It is possible:
    To put in flood boards at door and low window openings.
    To put flood covers on low level vents.
    To put non return valves on drains so floodwater cannot enter.
    To put flood resistant finishes on the ground floors of buildings: eg tiles, and not have timber fittings such as drawers and cupboards at a low level.

The above are relatively expensive and obtrusive, and the problem is most property owners do not want to face up to the cost of preventative measures.

• Advertisement

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Its that easy is it?:rolleyes:

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Azalea wrote: »

It has to be the good Juan Sheet stuff, not the Aldi 10'for a euro gear, having said that, you could just get a kayak inLidl and learn to live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Azalea wrote: »

Tampons and tea bags are a life savior too.

The sewer is a closed system,it's not affected by flooding.
    The odd really old building might have vents,but otherwise wooden floors are laid on concrete,there's no need or room for vents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

The sewer is a closed system,it's not affected by flooding.
    The odd really old building might have vents,but otherwise wooden floors are laid on concrete,there's no need or room for vents.

You really don't understand the sear power and force of water do you. Most villages/towns are old buildings anyway.

jamesbere wrote: »
    You really don't understand the sear power and force of water do you. Most villages/towns are old buildings anyway.

The power of three or four inches of water lapping at your door.

Must be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Ho humm. Air tight is tighter than water tight
    That all depends on how much pressure there is.

In reality there are some easy things you can do to prevent/reduce minor flooding...but past a certain point you're completely fecked.

Another thing,why are these people waiting for the council to deliver sandbags?
    It's sand in a bag,have your own supply if you live in one of these areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement