Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why nervous around my brother?

• 06-12-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone-I'd really like some insight in order to understand this situation. Is this fairly normal?

I noticed my newish boyfriend (2-3 months-he's 23) is quite nervous around my brother who's slightly younger. The first time they met he looked positively scared (!) though this is before he (bro) actually entered the room! He is beginning to thaw out a bit more with him, but even so. I should mention in his defence though he was somewhat nervous when he met my friends for the first time. He's been fine with my sister. The other thing I've noticed is that when by bro is staying at mine he doesn't like staying over. I like having him there! We've not had sex yet, though of course I haven't told my brother this...none of his business!

He's a really nice, straightforward sort of guy and I trust him-always respectful to me and who ironically in all probability treats women far better than my bro who tends to be a bit of a player!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Nobody here is going to know. Shouldn't you just ask your boyfriend why he feels so nervous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nobody here is going to know. Shouldn't you just ask your boyfriend why he feels so nervous?

Sure. Forgot to mention-boyfriend, when asked said he hadn't realised this was the case! The only conclusion I can come to is that he may fear brother is 'judging' him and some bros can be overly-protective of their sisters. Mine isn't really like that....

Just wondering really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Sure. Forgot to mention-boyfriend, when asked said he hadn't realised this was the case! The only conclusion I can come to is that he may fear brother is 'judging' him and some bros can be overly-protective of their sisters. Mine isn't really like that....

Just wondering really..

No one here will know and you'll probably end up exacerbating the issue if you keep asking him why he's acting strange around your brother, just give them time. There's no need for them to be instant best friends

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Just wondering really..

I'm thinking that if you continue pointing out things like that to your boyfriend, he may come to the conclusion that it's you judging him that's a problem, not your brother! When I met my bf's sister, I was pretty terrified. It SOOO wouldn't have helped if my bf had asked why I was so nervous and would have demonstrated a major lack of understanding on his part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Most young guys generally **** themselves around the brother and father of his new girlfriend. It will just take him time to get settled. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement