Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive health check

Options
  • 06-12-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I have a 2.5'' hard disk that I am considering putting in an external enclosure. I connected the drive via sata to a desktop that already has a hard drive to format it. Any utilities I use to check the health of the hard drive only seem to work for the desktops hard drive and not the one I want. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Does the drive show up under computer? Did you connect both the power and the data cables to it?

If you have an OS installation disc, it doesn't matter if it is an old OS version, disconnect your OS hard drive then boot from the installation disc and tell it to format the drive if it sees it. You can then cancel the installation once it has been formatted.

Then reconnect you OS drive and reboot. You should then see both drives.

If you don't have an OS installation disc create a lightweight Linux distro on a usb drive (see www.pendrivelinux.com).

Then with only the new hard drive connected boot from the usb and run gparted to format the hard drive as NTFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

The drive is visible and I have formatted it to ntfs, its just when using software to check on the health of the drive while some programs recognize the formatted drive they only seem to give results for the OS drive.

Advertisement