Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike learner permit expired

• 06-12-2015 10:05pm

I held a provisional driving licence for a category A motorcycle.
    I got my full driving licence for a car shortly after and never got around to doing a full bike licence test.

I'm now thinking of getting a bike for commuting to work, the provision licence expired in February 2010, I think the limit to apply for the full licence has expired, I think it's 5 years, is that right?

Assuming it is, does this mean I have to take the theory test again? if I do will I loose the category I was in "A" and what is the largest bike I will be able to get if I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm afraid there are no simple answers. A lot depends on your age and driving history and since I don't know these, I can't narrow it down very much. So...

Straight off, if the last A category you held expired in Feb 2010 then there's no two ways about it, you have to start over. This means that you will have to take IBT (€500 ish) even to get a small bike or scooter.

You MAY avoid the theory test. The most important question is when you got the theory test. If you took the theory test that covered both the car and bike (ie the original theory test which ran until some time in the middle of 2006 iirc) then having progressed with the car licence would mean that your theory test would still be valid. However, if you took a theory test after mid 2006 (or never took a theory test at all) then you will have to do that too.

Things have changed since you've held your last bike permit. You previously held the 'A-restricted' permit which limited you to bike 25kw/ 33hp for two years after passing the driving test. That has been scrapped now and there now four categories- AM, A1, A2, & A- (in a nutshell- scooters, small bikes, medium power bikes and fast bikes respectively).

If you are over 24 and you get the A permit (and take IBT) you can get literally any bike you can get insurance on without any restrictions whatsoever (mad, right) which is far better than your previous situation. If you are still under 24 (unlikely I know) then you will have to get the A2 permit until you're over 24 and that restricts you to bikes similar to the ones you could have ridden on your old A-restricted permit- medium powered bikes such as CB400 or something like that.

If you're not scared off, I would encourage you to have a look at the learner threads on the motorbikes forum and people will be happy to help you there. If you have any other questions, I'll keep an eye on this thread too :)

• cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm afraid there are no simple answers. A lot depends on your age and driving history and since I don't know these, I can't narrow it down very much. So...

Straight off, if the last A category you held expired in Feb 2010 then there's no two ways about it, you have to start over. This means that you will have to take IBT (€500 ish) even to get a small bike or scooter.

You MAY avoid the theory test. The most important question is when you got the theory test. If you took the theory test that covered both the car and bike (ie the original theory test which ran until some time in the middle of 2006 iirc) then having progressed with the car licence would mean that your theory test would still be valid. However, if you took a theory test after mid 2006 (or never took a theory test at all) then you will have to do that too.

Things have changed since you've held your last bike permit. You previously held the 'A-restricted' permit which limited you to bike 25kw/ 33hp for two years after passing the driving test. That has been scrapped now and there now four categories- AM, A1, A2, & A- (in a nutshell- scooters, small bikes, medium power bikes and fast bikes respectively).

If you are over 24 and you get the A permit (and take IBT) you can get literally any bike you can get insurance on without any restrictions whatsoever (mad, right) which is far better than your previous situation. If you are still under 24 (unlikely I know) then you will have to get the A2 permit until you're over 24 and that restricts you to bikes similar to the ones you could have ridden on your old A-restricted permit- medium powered bikes such as CB400 or something like that.

If you're not scared off, I would encourage you to have a look at the learner threads on the motorbikes forum and people will be happy to help you there. If you have any other questions, I'll keep an eye on this thread too :)

Well that's great news, I took the theory test in 2005, it was the first incarnation of the theory test and included the bike and the car.

I'll be 30 in roughly 4 weeks, so no issues there.

So my understanding then is that I could apply for the A permit and do the IBT and get whatever bike I want, that does seem mad! :eek:

So technically I could be on the road driving an R1 or GSXR in a couple of weeks?:cool:

Obviously not stupid enough to jump straight on a super bike, I've been checking out the learner threads on the motorbikes forum, very informative.

Would this be like me applying for a first learner permit, or a third? seen as I never took the Bike test and I was on my second provisional licence, just wondering could that be an issue?

Well that's great news, I took the theory test in 2005, it was the first incarnation of the theory test and included the bike and the car.

:cool:
    So my understanding then is that I could apply for the A permit and do the IBT and get whatever bike I want, that does seem mad! :eek:

No more of this two year restriction malarkey and if you're over 24, you're treated like a grown-up which is great for the 99% of bikers that know how to behave themselves.

Some people will argue that you may as well go for A2 for now but IMO, it's nearly the same process so just go for A and be done with it. You will have to bring an A bike to the A test but you can always hire a school bike from your instructor for the test if you end up buying a smaller bike.
    So technically I could be on the road driving an R1 or GSXR in a couple of weeks?:cool:

You're only restricted by what you can get insurance for.
    Would this be like me applying for a first learner permit, or a third? seen as I never took the Bike test and I was on my second provisional licence, just wondering could that be an issue?

No. You'll be starting with a clean slate on a 991, two year permit.

• Perfect, you're a gent ;)

Thanks for all the info, time to put this pony in motion :D

• So I'm on the road now (CBR600RR :D), had some trouble at the NDLS, they wouldn't initially give the provisional, but after I told them I had rang someone in their offices and was 100% sure I was entitled to the provisional without resitting the theory test (I was only going off the information you @cantdecide provided me with ;) ) they relented and issued me a new provisional.

So a friend of mine is now looking into getting a bike, he's been on bikes most of his life, MX and road bikes, but was traveling for the last few years and never got his full licence.

Like me he took his theory test pre 2006, but unlike me he doesn't have his old provisional licence, knowing how difficult they can be in the NDLS, is there any way he can prove this in paper before he goes in, or should their records show this and is going and stating that he took it pre 2006 enough.

• Advertisement

So I'm on the road now (CBR600RR :D)

Nice.
    So I'm on the road now (CBR600RR :D), had some trouble at the NDLS, they wouldn't initially give the provisional, but after I told them I had rang someone in their offices and was 100% sure I was entitled to the provisional without resitting the theory test (I was only going off the information you @cantdecide provided me with ;) ) they relented and issued me a new provisional.

Sweet.
    So a friend of mine is now looking into getting a bike, he's been on bikes most of his life, MX and road bikes, but was traveling for the last few years and never got his full licence.

Like me he took his theory test pre 2006, but unlike me he doesn't have his old provisional licence, knowing how difficult they can be in the NDLS, is there any way he can prove this in paper before he goes in, or should their records show this and is going and stating that he took it pre 2006 enough.

In terms of the theory test, what will probably save him is whether he passed the car test or not.

If he took the original theory test and passed the car test in a reasonable time (ie without ever leaving his car permit lapse for 5+ years) then his theory test is still valid today.

If he took the original theory test but never passed the car test and hasn't held bike or car categories for 5 year or more then he's back to square one and will have to take the motorcycle theory test and IBT.

If he passed the car driving test years ago but hasn't held motorcycle categories for over 5 years, he can ignore the lost permit as he'll be starting from scratch in terms of bikes. He will have to complete IBT for any or all learner categories.

If he took the original theory test and passed the car driving test years ago and held motorcycle learner categories within the last 5 years, he can renew his permit for the motorcycle categories. He will just have to fill out the D201 application for a learner permit and have the lost/ stolen declaration stamped by a Guard. He will not have to take IBT for A2, A1 or AM but to get an A permit, he'll have to take IBT.

Clear as mud, right! If in any doubt, he can call the NDLS who will tell him how he's fixed. They have access to all info relating to previous theory tests and permits held.

• cantdecide wrote: »
    Nice.

Sweet.

In terms of the theory test, what will probably save him is whether he passed the car test or not.

If he took the original theory test and passed the car test in a reasonable time (ie without ever leaving his car permit lapse for 5+ years) then his theory test is still valid today.

If he took the original theory test but never passed the car test and hasn't held bike or car categories for 5 year or more then he's back to square one and will have to take the motorcycle theory test and IBT.

If he passed the car driving test years ago but hasn't held motorcycle categories for over 5 years, he can ignore the lost permit as he'll be starting from scratch in terms of bikes. He will have to complete IBT for any or all learner categories.

If he took the original theory test and passed the car driving test years ago and held motorcycle learner categories within the last 5 years, he can renew his permit for the motorcycle categories. He will just have to fill out the D201 application for a learner permit and have the lost/ stolen declaration stamped by a Guard. He will not have to take IBT for A2, A1 or AM but to get an A permit, he'll have to take IBT.

Clear as mud, right! If in any doubt, he can call the NDLS who will tell him how he's fixed. They have access to all info relating to previous theory tests and permits held.

Pretty sure he passed the car test without ever leaving his car permit lapse, he never got a motorcycle learner, but sure he wont mind doing the IBT(well he'll probably mind the cost :pac:) .

From the sounds of that he should be good regarding not having to sit the theory test again, calling them up first sound like the best idea, then he'll know without any doubt.

I'll pass on the information, cheers again man :cool:

Advertisement