Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

CBF125 good for a first bike?

• 06-12-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm nearly 16, and I've been looking at getting a cbf125 for a while. I was just wondering if the insurance and tax would be cheap on it, and if it's a good bike in general

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

Tax is cheap on bikes in general, insurance could be salty, but shop around and you should be able to find a good deal. There is nothing wrong with CBF 125, they are quite popular as far as starter/learner bikes go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gillenation

Just another question, say there was 2 lanes both going different directions, is it legal for me to go through the middle of the 2 lanes? Or should I go to the left side of the lane I'm on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

As in if you want to overtake? Provided the white line between the lanes is a broken white line feel free to overtake.

If by passing on the left of your lane you mean undertaking cars in your lane then thats a very bad idea. You can be guaranteed a car wont indicate and take a left turn without checking the mirror and you will plough into the side of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I am thankful for the IBT being mandatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Great bike to start out on, trying to get insurance on sometime like a NSR 80 or 125 is through the roof ( I know this as some is 16 and the insurance won't even talk to him)

If i was you I would wait till your 18 so you can get the A2 category. Insurance be that small bit cheaper been older. You need to do the IBT only 1s pass the test 1s and do module 5 for the progression to A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd start as soon as you can. By 18 you'll have another couple of years experience under your tyres and you can't buy experience.
    CBF are a good bike, critical to keep them well serviced and watch the head bearings they can be troublesome from new, best to replace them with taper rollers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It's a great bike and in a few years if you still love biking, upgrade to a 300cc or more. But you will use all the rev range so as CJhaughey said keep it serviced.

You are pretty wet behind the ears so it might be best investing in a down to earth instructor who won't just tick IBT instructions and rules of the road. Also maintenance of your bike every week.. not sure if that's in the IBT.

But I don't think you should be thinking of overtaking cars yet. Think about driving like a car first.. a car that fits nice into the big bus lane :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Oil service is critical because they don't have a removable disposable oil filter like modern engines.
    Instead they have a strainer inside the engine and you have to remove the clutch casing to clean it.
    Not a big deal but you need to replace the gasket.
    If you keep changing the oil it flushes a lot of the crap out.
    I have seen plenty that weren't serviced well and the results are not good.

Advertisement