Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is responsible for paying TV licence?

Options
  • 07-12-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I have just become a landlord and the issue of who is responsible for paying the TV licence has come up. So I decided to ask the Boards experts. Who is responsible for paying the TV licence? landlord or tenant

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tenant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

I am a landlord too,best advice is to remove any televisions from the property when you rent it out,its up to the tenant then to supply own tv and pay licence,if you leave a tv then the tenants could claim it not their property and you are liable for the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I am a landlord too,best advice is to remove any televisions from the property when you rent it out,its up to the tenant then to supply own tv and pay licence,if you leave a tv then the tenants could claim it not their property and you are liable for the licence.

That wouldn't matter in the eyes of the law, since there is a device capable of receiving tv signals in your home (as a tenant, not you specifically) then you are responsible for paying the license irrespective of who owns the device.

I get where you are coming from though and it is best to not supply a tv set as you would need to replace that if it died. Best just to supply the bare needs such as a fridge and cooker as needed by the RTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Tenant

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

As a licensee, who is responsible for the TV license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I have just read the citizens information on rented accomodation ' it doesn't matter who owns the TV, be it tenant or landlord, the occupier of the house must pay the TV license

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

As a licensee, who is responsible for the TV license?

I'd imagine the landlord in that case, unless perhaps the landlord doesn't have a TV and the licensee has a TV in their own room or something. Then I'd say it'd be only fair for the Licensee to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

What if said tenant just had a particularly large computer monitor, around 40 inch's or so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

What if said tenant just had a particularly large computer monitor, around 40 inch's or so ;)

Is said monitor capable of receiving a television signal? If so it's a television.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have just read the citizens information on rented accomodation ' it doesn't matter who owns the TV, be it tenant or landlord, the occupier of the house must pay the TV license

I suspect that's the correct legal answer.

Morally it should be the TV owner.

Good reason to join the TV-free generation, IMHO.

• Advertisement

ScottStorm wrote: »
    Is said monitor capable of receiving a television signal? If so it's a television.

All computers are technically capable of getting digital TV using a small USB dongle.
    Maybe its the dongle should be licensed :)

All computers are technically capable of getting digital TV using a small USB dongle.
    Maybe its the dongle should be licensed :)

It is, despite the name the license is on any device that can receive television signals. This includes set top boxes and those dongles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Depends on what your contract say.

Depends on what your contract say.

It doesn't, there is no contracting around the law. Anyone that is resident in the dwelling is responsible for the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

celiam wrote: »
    I have just become a landlord and the issue of who is responsible for paying the TV licence has come up. So I decided to ask the Boards experts. Who is responsible for paying the TV licence? landlord or tenant

Are you renting out a room or the whole property?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

An Post website says;
    Any person in occupancy at an address where a television set is held is legally responsible for the licensing of the television set regardless of ownership of either the premises or the set itself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm dubious about the whole internet TV license. I had the inspector call around and I invited him in to show him I didn't have a TV and he said it was alright, he believed me. He never asked if I watched TV on my laptop, which I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

I thought they were introducing a new Media License to nail us all on tablet , phone and smart TV set top boxes that recieve internet streaming signals , One could argue these are not TV signals as the spectrum for medium is not the conventioanl TV signal.

So basically if you pay for the service - being broadband , they now want a TV liencse for internet accessed "TV Signals" the legislation needs a lot of tidying up. I know for one i do not subscribe to any form of TV service and only use computer monitors around my home ( Some are quite large with no Tuners ). The new media license is really a kick in the stones as they also charge for the RTE online access and as a license payer you still have to fork out to use irish TV online , thus a media license is the new way they want to label it . So i pay for boradband , I cannot access IRISH TV online for free and i have to pay a license to be able to pay for online TV when i already pay for broadband . Tis dripping in sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

celiam wrote: »

Same person who is responsible for buying the toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

As others have said the tenant is responsible for the TV license. They are the occupiers and they are watching the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dbit wrote: »
    The new media license is really a kick in the stones as they also charge for the RTE online access

no they don't

dbit wrote: »
    I thought they were introducing a new Media License to nail us all on tablet , phone and smart TV set top boxes that recieve internet streaming signals , One could argue these are not TV signals as the spectrum for medium is not the conventioanl TV signal.
    Unworkable under EU open market, people travel through Ireland with their phones, tablets, laptops all the time and they can't be expected to pay a TV license on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

catbear wrote: »
    I'm dubious about the whole internet TV license. I had the inspector call around and I invited him in to show him I didn't have a TV and he said it was alright, he believed me. He never asked if I watched TV on my laptop, which I did.
    You don't need a licence to watch TV on a laptop. Only if you have a device capable of receiving a broadcast signal.

The "internet TV licence" has been much talked about, but not introduced yet.

seamus wrote: »
    You don't need a licence to watch TV on a laptop. Only if you have a device capable of receiving a broadcast signal.

The "internet TV licence" has been much talked about, but not introduced yet.
    Yeah, I keep telling people that but they don't get it.

As an aside I recently moved into my parents empty house and started using the TV left there. As I'd been abroad and the house was empty for years there wasn't the new box for viewing the irish channels so I just used the basic cable package, BBCs, ITVs etc

The letter arrived saying the house needed a TV license and my initial reaction was that it was worth it. Then I remembered it was the channels that I don't watch that get the fee.

Try when not on an irish ISP

MY Bad i was looking at this around a year ago and there was published information around the possiblity of making the TV license a Media License to nail all mobile platform users , Just imagine , Hi welcome to Ireland and slap into the palm of theyre hand - the old 80's pamphlet - Dont be a sponge !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

The broadcasting charge for all households was a proposal from Pat Rabbite when he was minister for communications. There has been no mention of it since he was demoted and given the water and LPT protests I can not see this being suggested again for a generation or so.

The licence itself is pretty ineffective due to the large proportion of society (pensioners etc) exempted from paying for it and the high cost by AN POST in trying to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Are they not bringing in a broadcasting licence, so it does not matter if it is a tv or a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It is, despite the name the license is on any device that can receive television signals. This includes set top boxes and those dongles.
    It has to be able to receive and display broadcast tv signals.
    and if it needs some other thing not in the house to do the receiving and displaying, it doesn't need a license.

• Advertisement

Don't answer the door unless you know the person...problem solved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement