Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is responsible for paying TV licence?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

cerastes wrote: »
    as per post 49, agreed it is posted before, but I do think I'm referring to something else that most people wouldn't interpret from that anyway. It might seem pedantic but I do have a reason to enquire.

Ok I agree it might not be specific enough. If it's a situation you're in I'd recommend calling them to be sure. They are usually easy to contact. Let us know what they say officially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Ok I agree it might not be specific enough. If it's a situation you're in I'd recommend calling them to be sure. They are usually easy to contact. Let us know what they say officially.

No offense, I wont be contacting them, I'm sure they will come to the conclusion that a licence is needed regardless, I'm not in that exact circumstance now, but I could be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

"Tenant" is not a proper answer. The OP needs an official source to be sure it's correct and refer any questions from his tenants towards.

It also avoids 4 pages of back and forth arguing.

Post 6 referred to Citizens info, post 17 referred to the An Post website

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

TV Licence

Your landlord does not have to provide you with a TV and if one is provided as part of the letting you, as user of the service will normally be responsible for the TV licence.

Check with your landlord if you want to add an aerial/satellite as you need their permission which they cannot unreasonably refuse. You may be liable for any structural repair work caused due to the installation/removal. In apartments there may be rules prohibiting the installation of satellite dishes.

from the treshold website

tv licence office number 1890 252749
    me "hello im just after renting a house who pays the tv licence,me or the landlord

lady "you do the tenant"

.citizensinformation

Rented accommodation
    If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (whether the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

CramCycle wrote: »
    Post 6 referred to Citizens info, post 17 referred to the An Post website

And "tenant" is still not a proper answer.

Is it pedantic time waster day in here or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The two sentences in this post are a delicious juxtaposition. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

To continue the pedancy, the first post #7 says "the occupier" and#17 says "any person in occupancy"

It was repeated several times and some kept posting up incorrect rubbish in between.

I agree that how the thread is still going is a bit of a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

CramCycle wrote: »
    To continue the pedancy, the first post #7 says "the occupier" and#17 says "any person in occupancy"

It was repeated several times and some kept posting up incorrect rubbish in between.

I agree that how the thread is still going is a bit of a mystery

*pedantry

Fixed that for you. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just to quote legislation, cause we'll be all day quoting various unofficial sources:
    Section 142.— (1) Subject to the exceptions mentioned in subsection (3), a person shall not keep or have in his or her possession anywhere in the territory of the State a television set save in so far as such keeping or possession is authorised by a television licence for the time being in force.

(2) A person having possession of a television set under a television licence shall not keep such a television set otherwise than in accordance with the terms and conditions subject to which such licence is expressly, or is by virtue of this Part deemed to have been granted.

(3) This section does not apply to a television set, which is of a class or description for the time being declared by an order of the Minister to be a class or description of television set to which this section is not to apply.

So it would seem that every television in the state that a person has in their possession (person can be any organisation) is required to be covered by a licence. Even those unsold and in storage, unless there's a ministerial order exempting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

catbear wrote: »
    I'm dubious about the whole internet TV license. I had the inspector call around and I invited him in to show him I didn't have a TV and he said it was alright, he believed me. He never asked if I watched TV on my laptop, which I did.

There was plans for a new media license to cover the increase in streaming via PC's and other devices, but was canned pretty quickly, not to mention that Pat Rabbitte who was the big pusher of it, left his ministry.

There is already mighty tension and discussions about the current TV license scheme, as it's becoming more and more a serious point of contention for electorates, paying a license for a national station who makes massive revenues from private advertising.

There is consultancies and discussions ongoing within the Department of Comms of actually scrapping the TV license entirely.

This thread actually reminded me I need to pay mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

TheDoc wrote: »
    There was plans for a new media license to cover the increase in streaming via PC's and other devices, but was canned pretty quickly, not to mention that Pat Rabbitte who was the big pusher of it, left his ministry.

There is already mighty tension and discussions about the current TV license scheme, as it's becoming more and more a serious point of contention for electorates, paying a license for a national station who makes massive revenues from private advertising.

There is consultancies and discussions ongoing within the Department of Comms of actually scrapping the TV license entirely.

This thread actually reminded me I need to pay mine.

Bingo ! turn off all ads and ill gladly pay a lic as well as subscribe to our national broadcaster . At least the Beeb have that over its constituents .....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement