Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best guitar for a beginner?

Options
  • 07-12-2015 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi, Ariana here x

Just wondering what the best guitar to get for a beginner. So something not so expensive but good enough to get attached to.

Also, if any of you know how to change the guitar to a left handed guitar that would be great thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Probably best to just buy a lefthanded rather than change over, that just doesnt work well.
    After that it's down to your budget and probably your location. It's always best to try them out before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

I started at the beginning of the year playing in an old banger that was lying around the house for years. Once I knew I was sticking with it I bought a nice Takamine, about 300 - 350 in Waltons if I remember correctly. Beautiful sound and made all the difference to my own playing. Go in and get a feel for the guitars, you'll find something you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yup, if you are lefty, BUY a lefty.

it really isn't worth the hassle of buying a righty and switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Ariana Grande

I started at the beginning of the year playing in an old banger that was lying around the house for years. Once I knew I was sticking with it I bought a nice Takamine, about 300 - 350 in Waltons if I remember correctly. Beautiful sound and made all the difference to my own playing. Go in and get a feel for the guitars, you'll find something you like.

Oh so buying a good guitar really changed how well you play??
    I was thinking of just buying an Argos guitar for cheap to see if I like it but I'm not sure yet :/

The only reason I want the guitar is because I wanna sing and accompany myself without carrying a keyboard around lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

a DECENT guitar will make all the difference.

a €50 guitar will hurt your fingers and likely have horrible tuning issues.

a €300 will be easier to play, more fun to play, sound better and you are more likely to want to play it.

therefore it really will change how well you play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

Just to mention. A long time ago argos sold me an electric guitar which had no reinforcing center bar (cant think of name) as part of the design.
    It wasnt til a good time later that a teacher found what was the cause of the strings catching on the fretboard. The fretboard warped from leaning against a wall...not in a heavy long term way.
    Its not in their catalogue any more, some years back, but be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Presumably you've bought a guitar by now op, if so best of luck with it!

I'd stay well away from cheap 80-100 Euro guitars from the likes of Argos, Smyth's, or Aldi, Lidl etc, buy from a music shop. You can get a decent beginner acoustic guitar for around 150, I'd recommend Yamaha, Epiphone. They won't have the kind of problems that a really cheap guitar would have, will be easier to play and Will sound better.

If you want to go a bit higher, for around 250-300 you will get a very good intermediate guitar, perfect for performing, with pickups. Tanglewood, Takamine are great in this price range, as well as Yamaha again. Plenty of others too.

I'd agree with the others, get a left-handed one unless you're willing to learn to play right-handed, if you are just beginning this might still be an option. Also be aware that there are different sizes of guitars, personally I love smaller guitars. More comfortable to play, and a sweeter tone, if lacking a bit in volume and bass...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Ariana Grande

Presumably you've bought a guitar by now op, if so best of luck with it!

I'd stay well away from cheap 80-100 Euro guitars from the likes of Argos, Smyth's, or Aldi, Lidl etc, buy from a music shop. You can get a decent beginner acoustic guitar for around 150, I'd recommend Yamaha, Epiphone. They won't have the kind of problems that a really cheap guitar would have, will be easier to play and Will sound better.

If you want to go a bit higher, for around 250-300 you will get a very good intermediate guitar, perfect for performing, with pickups. Tanglewood, Takamine are great in this price range, as well as Yamaha again. Plenty of others too.

I'd agree with the others, get a left-handed one unless you're willing to learn to play right-handed, if you are just beginning this might still be an option. Also be aware that there are different sizes of guitars, personally I love smaller guitars. More comfortable to play, and a sweeter tone, if lacking a bit in volume and bass...

I actually haven't bought it yet lol
    I'm trying to save for one that isn't a cheap mess!

Thank you! I think I might go with the intermediate ones that you mentioned.

I've already been taking lessons (using the teachers guitar) and he told me that the way I hold it comfortable is left handed so Ive been learning left handed!

Thanks everyone btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

I actually haven't bought it yet lol
    I'm trying to save for one that isn't a cheap mess!

Thank you! I think I might go with the intermediate ones that you mentioned.

I've already been taking lessons (using the teachers guitar) and he told me that the way I hold it comfortable is left handed so Ive been learning left handed!

Thanks everyone btw!

Good luck, enjoy it!

Advertisement