Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screen only for Free to Air

• 07-12-2015 6:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks!

I want to hook up a screen only to watch Free to Air on.

NO TV - just to be super clear ;):)

What will plug into the back of my Sky box?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Dayo93

ytinkle wrote: »
    Hi folks!

I want to hook up a screen only to watch Free to Air on.

NO TV - just to be super clear ;):)

What will plug into the back of my Sky box?

Thanks!

Is free to air not TV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Hey op, is the aim here to not have to pay a tv license?
    What you describe would still make you liable to pay it.

You're required to have one if you have a working cable connection/aerial and any device capable of using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Any screen with a hdmi input can be connected to your skybox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

If you want a screen with no TV tuner built in, then you want a monitor. If you want to connect an FTA box to it, then you'll need a HDMI or Scart input on that monitor. If the idea is to avoid the TV licence, then this will not work, as the FTA box is your television tuner.

The only way to avoid the licence is to get rid of all tuners, use only monitors, and stream everything you watch over the Internet. Internet streams are exempt from the licence at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you're only watching Free to Air then what's the Sky box for?

I'm confused as to what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If your trying to avoid the TV license then this isn't going to work. The sky box and the free to air box are your TV. So you might as well buy a TV as you'll get a much better deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If you're only watching Free to Air then what's the Sky box for.

A Sky box used without a card allows you to watch all the free channels unscrambled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

brian_t wrote: »
    A Sky box used without a card allows you to watch all the free channels unscrambled.

Ah ok - so it operates like a Saor View box then.

Gotcha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

brian_t wrote: »
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ah ok - so it operates like a Saor View box then.

Gotcha.

I'm going to edit my post to say

A Sky box used without a card allows you to watch all the free UK channels unscrambled but you cant record them.

When I used a Sky box as above, I got my Irish channels via an analog aerial and was able to record programmes with my VCR.

When RTE went digital I bought a Walker Combi Box that allows me record programmes to a Hard-drive.

Advertisement