Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV 4th Gen vs 3rd Gen: whats the main difference

• 07-12-2015 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV#Functionality

gives bit of an explanation but being of a certain age, I just don't get the benefits of the App store etc.
    I have a 3rd Gen one and works fine for Netflix etc as well are Airdrop etc but the other half wants one for her TV so wonder is it worth the extra 100 euro
    3rd gen: 79 euro
    4th gen 179 euro, and SIRI not supported in Ireland
    from the Irish online store
    At this time, Siri is not available on Apple TV in your country.

Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you have an iPhone or other iOS device then the benefits of the App Store should be obvious. Anyone can develop for the Apple TV. Plex is already available and in time we might even see RTE, TV3 apps. Or better yet, UK VOD services like Mubi and Curzon. There's also games. But you should be aware that the remote is very fragile and expensive to replace.

If you are only using it for Netflix, though, an Apple TV isn't necessary. Any number of cheaper boxes will do Netflix just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Many thanks:
    We have iPads and mac laptops for which we all use primarily for Air-drop and a bit of iTunes: most of the kit is Mac so I would stick with the Apple TV:
    it was just a question of what else I might do with the 4th Gen that I can't do with 3rd Gen.

Take an example, which will help underscore my ignorance here: the boss uses the iPad for stuff like RTE Player and similar stuff for ITV UTV TV3 etc.
    The original idea was that she would just use airdrop to project the RTE player on the TV.

Will the 4th gens allow the RTE player to be run directly on the TV, without the iPad?

Re the remote, for the existing 3rd Gen I bought a bluetooth keyboard which works well, albeit euro 70!:
    will it work with the 4th Gen?

Does the 4th Gen allow full web access with the keyboard?

Thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Many thanks:
    We have iPads and mac laptops for which we all use primarily for Air-drop and a bit of iTunes: most of the kit is Mac so I would stick with the Apple TV:
    it was just a question of what else I might do with the 4th Gen that I can't do with 3rd Gen.

Take an example, which will help underscore my ignorance here: the boss uses the iPad for stuff like RTE Player and similar stuff for ITV UTV TV3 etc.
    The original idea was that she would just use airdrop to project the RTE player on the TV.

I think you mean Airplay, not Airdrop.
    Will the 4th gens allow the RTE player to be run directly on the TV, without the iPad?

Currently, no, as RTE haven't developed an app for the Apple TV, but it would be pretty easy for them to port their existing iOS app — if they choose to do so. The TV App Store is still only new.
    Re the remote, for the existing 3rd Gen I bought a bluetooth keyboard which works well, albeit euro 70!:
    will it work with the 4th Gen?
    At the moment, I don't think so.
    Does the 4th Gen allow full web access with the keyboard?
    No, there's no web browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for this, write up, of sorts about 4th Gen vs Chromecast in business supplement of Irish times today.
    My second 3 gen due today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I got a fourth gen as a present and as nice as it is, I wouldn't pay for it. I'm an avid Plex user so delighted with that and use AirPlay a lot so good to be able to do that too on the same device. However, the App Store needs to develop and at the moment there's not enough content there to justify the price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement