Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Christmas - Do any schools still take it off?

Options
  • 07-12-2015 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

As the questions says. I don't see it on Schooldays.ie as an official day off but are many schools out for it?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not in our area. Likewise the 8th. we will be at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am unsure if you can take it as circular says you can't extend the standardised holidays. However same circular says no half day on 22nd but schools like to ignore that too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You can extend on religious grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

All primary schools in my area are off, none of the post primary schools are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

None off round home at all. Thank god, parents have to work anyway so it would just be another added cost or loss of annual leave.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    None off round home at all. Thank god, parents have to work anyway so it would just be another added cost or loss of annual leave.
    All schools have to work the same number of days, so if a school is off on the 8th of Dec or 6th of Jan they must make it up elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

If we do not watch out we will be back on 2nd Jan very soon just like in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

ethical wrote: »
    If we do not watch out we will be back on 2nd Jan very soon just like in the UK.

Are you sure schools over there are back on the 2nd?

I've looked up a few areas online and they all seem to finish-up this Friday 18th until Mon 4th, which is 2 weeks the same as us.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/school-term-holiday-dates

Teaching conditions in the UK are bad but lets not exaggerate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

sitstill wrote: »

I've looked up a few areas online and they all seem to finish-up this Friday 18th until Mon 4th, which is 2 weeks the same as us.

Agreed, schools I know of in UK are back the 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

sitstill wrote: »

Yup teaching in the UK myself (secondary) and we break up on Friday and teachers are back at school on Jan 4th for an INSET day and students are back in the 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

phish wrote: »
    Yup teaching in the UK myself (secondary) and we break up on Friday and teachers are back at school on Jan 4th for an INSET day and students are back in the 5th.

Can't believe I'm jealous of the UK schools!! I hate the way we are in until the 22nd or even the 23rd some years - ridiculous. Personally I would prefer time off before Christmas (when I am always run off my feet) and less after the new year. Students aren't really working then. We do exams up to the end of term in my place, and my results are always worst when the exam for my subjects are on the 21st or 22nd.

Advertisement