Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

How does this compare to Revolut in terms of using it abroad and the exchange rates ?

They use the MasterCard exchange rates which seem to be roughy 0.5% worse than the Revolut rates.

As an example, last Friday €100 with Revolut bought £72.25 while with Number26 it would have bought £71.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭DrJFF

Used card in ATM in a Spar no problem, it said card issuer may charge a fee (which it may state for all foreign bank cards)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

What's the limit for contact less payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Quackster wrote: »
    They use the MasterCard exchange rates which seem to be roughy 0.5% worse than the Revolut rates.

As an example, last Friday €100 with Revolut bought £72.25 while with Number26 it would have bought £71.80.

Thanks!

And is there an additional currency fee, similar to what the Irish banks charge?

JAMM222 wrote: »
    What's the limit for contact less payments?

30 I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

30 I'd imagine.

30 is Visas limit, unsure if MasterCards is the same

Edit: It seems MasterCards limit is €30 also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Got my card yesterday, working perfectly. Transfers from KBC go pretty quickly, but Ulster Bank treat it like a foreign transfer (thought SEPA transfers were same as domestic now) so it took 3 days. They helpfully offer a quicker transfer for a fee of €18.95

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

McGaggs wrote: »
    Got my card yesterday, working perfectly. Transfers from KBC go pretty quickly, but Ulster Bank treat it like a foreign transfer (thought SEPA transfers were same as domestic now) so it took 3 days. They helpfully offer a quicker transfer for a fee of €18.95

Complain because SEPA transfers in € should be credited the next business day not 3 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

They helpfully offer a quicker transfer for a fee of €18.95

Your joking me??? :eek:

Plus they are even telling you that it's free and will be there next day on their own webpage:

http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/help-and-support/travel-and-international/international-payments/sending-money-abroad/standard-transfer.html

The 18.95 is for an urgent transfer (same day):
    http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/help-and-support/travel-and-international/international-payments/sending-money-abroad/Urgent-transfer.html

Complain as I said earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Just put in a complaint with UB Will update when I get a reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Tried a contact less payment and it didn't work....said invalid pin....thought I put in the correct pin...reset it...will try again later

Tried a contact less payment and it didn't work....said invalid pin....thought I put in the correct pin...reset it...will try again later

Did you withdraw or use the card in an ATM first?

Did you withdraw or use the card in an ATM first?

No....should I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

No....should I have?

Yes. Only way to guarantee that the pin has been activated is to use an ATM in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Also, contactless doesn't activate until you use the card at an ATM anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

You must use chip and pin before contact less for security reasons. Anybody could go and use it otherwise if they intercepted your letter from number 26.

It works now...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Went to an ATM, tried to update my PIN and check balance, both were rejected.

• Advertisement

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Your joking me??? :eek:

Wish I was.

soirish wrote: »

I don't think that functions are supported by number26, editing the PIN should be done in the app/online.

Otherwise the card works fine for you?

soirish wrote: »

Wouldn't let me check my balance at the atm.....you need to update your pin via the app then take cash out from an ATM.

I have a balance of zero, and tried to withdraw 100euro. It got rejected on the machine for insufficient funds, so that seems to have registered the PIN to the card as it was able to communicate with the bank account. Also got a notification on the app that a withdrawal failed due to insufficient funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

I have a balance of zero, and tried to withdraw 100euro. It got rejected on the machine for insufficient funds, so that seems to have registered the PIN to the card as it was able to communicate with the bank account.

I think juust entering your pin at the ATM machine is all that's necessary. I don't think you have to actually withdraw cash/attempt to withdraw cash.

ATM do online pin validation which is why they recommend that you visit an ATM once you set the pin. The ATM than kicks in an issuer script that writes your new pin to the chip so you can pay at offline pin terminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Transferred from BOI 8am Tuesday, arrived Number26 11.30am Wednesday.

Not bad and within the agreed time frames, but personally I still think banks could do a lot better.

I often transfer euros to the continent from UB and they are always there the next day and I never pay that silly €18.95 fee.

OK, second transfer only took 26 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

If i was to use this for my salary would it take longer if it to show up than my ulster bank account then by the sounds of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement