Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

It really shouldn't. SEPA transfers are next working day, so unless your employer use Ulster Bank also, it should take the same amount of time. It may even turn out to be quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Statements now in English! I contacted support about this (as I'm sure many did) so it's great to see it implemented so quickly.

I've been using the card without problem at ATMs, Online and in store with Chip & Pin and it's all good. The App pings you for every transaction, even Withdrawals declined for insufficient funds which I thought was a nice touch. If you were the victim of fraud or skimming (as I have been before), you would know instantly.

For anybody who may be on the fence regarding Number 26, I would say go for it, it's simply outstanding.

Are all you guys still keeping an account open with an Irish bank? I'm with AIB (have to maintain a €2500 balance to avoid fees) and wouldn't mind moving everything to this bank. The ability to lodge money to AIB at any post office is just so damn handy though. Just wondering how you guys are managing to deposit funds with Number26....what's the easiest/most efficient way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Are all you guys still keeping an account open with an Irish bank? I'm with AIB (have to maintain a €2500 balance to avoid fees) and wouldn't mind moving everything to this bank. The ability to lodge money to AIB at any post office is just so damn handy though. Just wondering how you guys are managing to deposit funds with Number26....what's the easiest/most efficient way?

I'm with AIB too, my plan at the moment is to move everything over the minimum balance over to number26 until cash stops existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I get paid into my PTSB account, if I transfer a good chunk of it into this number26 every month, it shouldn't cause any issues down the line I imagine?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'm holding on to my EBS account as it doesn't cost me anything and I want to hang on to a debit card, at least while the likes of Ryanair and Irish Rail continue to add surcharges to credit card payments.

App was updated this morning, now allows you to set daily limits on ATM withdrawals (€600 is no longer mandatory).

No update for me on Android yet. App does have a tendency to force closes if I open it after a period of not opening it (if that makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Savman wrote: »
    App was updated this morning, now allows you to set daily limits on ATM withdrawals (€600 is no longer mandatory).

Now that is a game changer because the previous limits were a big dis-advantage.

New limits listed here: https://number26.eu/support/limits-number26/,

Maestrocard is currently only available in Germany.

These limits apply to both the MasterCard and the MaestroCard combined. Your cards have a global monthly spending limit of 20.000 €.

The maximum limits you can set are as follows:

Daily ATM withdrawals: up to 2.500 €

Daily POS spend: up to 5.000 €

MoneyBeam to NUMBER26 customer: up to 1.000 €

MoneyBeam to non-customer: up to 100 €

Daily maximum account credit: 25.000 €

You can easily set custom limits for ATM withdrawals and POS transactions in your NUMBER26 app.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Savman wrote: »

It is incredible the technology and features this company can deliver for free, while the old Irish banks can't offer a tenth of this, all the while charging high fees for their antiquated service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

can you sign up of this bank and just use it as a secondary account?

like say an account that would only be used every once in a while?

i'm happy with my ptsb account but i'm unsure about moving to a bank which has no physical presence

but i would like to try out these new features is there a minimum balance that must be kept?

dunworth1 wrote: »
    can you sign up of this bank and just use it as a secondary account?
    Yep, give it a try.

bennyx_o wrote: »
    No update for me on Android yet. App does have a tendency to force closes if I open it after a period of not opening it (if that makes sense)

The white screen of death?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    The white screen of death?

Pretty much. Loads up to the box and just force closes. Opens fine on the next attempt. Wonder is it linked to the issues with the video verification on HTC phones

Pretty much. Loads up to the box and just force closes. Opens fine on the next attempt. Wonder is it linked to the issues with the video verification on HTC phones

Mine does the icon thing then white screen and I have to close it and reopen it.

Also, new update don't hit start now when it asks you to move your bank account unless you read German.

And touching the blank space my card is supposed to be in crashes me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Just used this for the first time for an online payment and I'm impressed. Instant notification on the phone.
    eBay wanted €22.78 using their own conversion rate but paying in £'s cost me €22.05 (though is subject to change during processing).

(Optional) Very easy to select a category type for the purchase using the app, in this case I selected 'Shopping' and used the memo field to note what the product was should I ever need reminding. A graph will show me how much I'm spending on each category (such as Shopping, Car, Groceries, Bars & Restaurants etc). So simple but impressive.
    It would be nice though if you could create your own category.

Interestingly (maybe) I also got a small PayPal charge (<€1) when I linked the card to my account. A note on the Number26 app states:
    This transaction is part of a potential deposit or authorization process.
    Clicking the info button shows:
    As we show transactions in real-time, you may see in-progress transactions (that you may not have seen with other banks). An example is when a merchant (car rental, petrol station, e-commerce) makes a request to the bank in advance to confirm that your method or limit of payment is valid
    I presume that small fee will be returned/cancelled in time.

I feel very much in charge of my money with Number26 and I like it. The Irish banks really are going to have to get with the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Just used this for the first time for an online payment and I'm impressed. Instant notification on the phone.
    eBay wanted €22.78 using their own conversion rate but paying in £'s cost me €22.05 (though is subject to change during processing).

(Optional) Very easy to select a category type for the purchase using the app, in this case I selected 'Shopping' and used the memo field to note what the product was should I ever need reminding. A graph will show me how much I'm spending on each category (such as Shopping, Car, Groceries, Bars & Restaurants etc). So simple but impressive.
    It would be nice though if you could create your own category.

Interestingly (maybe) I also got a small PayPal charge (<€1) when I linked the card to my account. A note on the Number26 app states:
    Clicking the info button shows: I presume that small fee will be returned/cancelled in time.

I feel very much in charge of my money with Number26 and I like it. The Irish banks really are going to have to get with the times.

You need to enter the digits associated with the paypal charge in paypal account to lift the limits on your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This happens when you add a new card to Paypal. It's their way of verifying the details entered are correct

This happens when you add a new card to Paypal. It's their way of verifying the details entered are correct
    Yeah bang on. Not much less than a Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Transferred some money yesterday from Number 26 to KBC arrived today :)
    Transferred some money yesterday from PTSB to KBC , still not arrived :(
    Both done at the same time yesterday as well.
    PTSB are slower both ways.

Also used the card over phone for POS, the second I hung up I get notification on my phone for the transaction. Its pretty fcuking amazing if I'm honest and the Irish banks could learn a thing or 2 from this

The note thing is handy for when you go on a bit of a splurge.
    Seeing PayPal*16yui* PayPal*monkey* etc. on the statement wasn't very helpful before.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

What's the story with the bank switching functionality in the updated app? It's in German. I'd like to love if there was a simple way to automatically switch my direct debits and standing orders with a couple of clicks.
    I'm dreaming, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Is it down for anyone else?

Can't access site or app.

Just tried to log in and I got an error

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Down for me as well.
    I used it about 1 hr ago all fine but not now

Edit: App working again now (IOS), still cant access website though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

App is working fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Website was down the other day around this time but it was less than a half hour

• Advertisement

Just made a purchase and didn't get a notification. Down for me too (app and web).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement