Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

palec69 wrote: »
    They started issuing debit cards, but only in Germany and Austria so far, hopefully it wont be long until Ireland gets them.

- I doubt we will - they get a better cut from existing card being coded as a credit card.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - I doubt we will - they get a better cut from existing card being coded as a credit card.

Exactly. They had no choice in Germany because of the poor acceptance of credit cards but they need the extra commission they earn from the credit card product to be able to offer free current accounts so I very much doubt the Maestro option will be extended to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I wonder if car rental places will accept it?

It seems they see it on their systems as a prepaid credit card so it's unlikely unless they accept debit cards.

Hopefully we can build a list of companies/shops/pubs that wont take the Number26 MasterCard - e.g. mybills.ie

I wonder if shops started getting a high volume of these cards would they try and change card policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Number26 have just updated their Android app and their new main feature is to transfer your direct debits and the like across.

If they keep like this, they're going to be massive.

clacks wrote: »
    What's the story with the bank switching functionality in the updated app? It's in German. I'd like to love if there was a simple way to automatically switch my direct debits and standing orders with a couple of clicks.
    I'm dreaming, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Number26 have just updated their Android app and their new main feature is to transfer your direct debits and the like across.

If they keep like this, they're going to be massive.

I wonder if that's only in Germany for now ?.
    I can't find the option for it on my app

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KosaH

I have attempted 5 different online purchases, and 4 failed. I managed to buy Ryanair tickets (and selected Mastercard and wasn't charged the surcharge), then tried Bus Eireann, card rejected, Three mobile as a payment card was also rejected as well as another Irish online retailer. Phoned them, and they said the card was rejected by their card processor as being dodgy. Also tried another online Irish site, and it said they don't accept USD ($) cards! Had funds available.

My card starts with 517337, and when I looked up this on the net, it said it was a GBP (£) card.

I phoned support, they seemed surprised, promised to look into it and get back to me. That was 2 days ago.

Anybody else have similar problems and the same first 6 digits card number?

Otherwise, seems great

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

No such problems, tried Livingsocial. Uber should also work if you link the card to PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

KosaH wrote: »
    I have attempted 5 different online purchases, and 4 failed. I managed to buy Ryanair tickets (and selected Mastercard and wasn't charged the surcharge), then tried Bus Eireann, card rejected, Three mobile as a payment card was also rejected as well as another Irish online retailer. Phoned them, and they said the card was rejected by their card processor as being dodgy. Also tried another online Irish site, and it said they don't accept USD ($) cards! Had funds available.

My card starts with 517337, and when I looked up this on the net, it said it was a GBP (£) card.

I phoned support, they seemed surprised, promised to look into it and get back to me. That was 2 days ago.

Anybody else have similar problems and the same first 6 digits card number?

Otherwise, seems great

Did you do an ATM withdraw, when you got the card, to activate it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 KosaH

JTMan wrote: »
    Did you do an ATM withdraw, when you got the card, to activate it?

I hadn't, but asked support on my call if this would affect it, he said not. Apparently ATM use activates the chip n pin, which is not used for online purchasing. The first transaction with Ryanair went through fine.

Would be interested to know if others have the same first 6 digits on their card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

KosaH wrote: »
    I hadn't, but asked support on my call if this would affect it, he said not. Apparently ATM use activates the chip n pin, which is not used for online purchasing. The first transaction with Ryanair went through fine.

Would be interested to know if others have the same first 6 digits on their card.

I so far have had no issues with paying online, it is interesting that you say the payment processor has the card down as dodgy.

I know that I would be unable to use the card as billpay.ie as it's coded as credit card (they only take debit cards) and that was the only downside so far.

Plus if Ryanair accepts this as "debit" card without a fee, that is great for people using it for that purpose.

I hope that your retailers will be managing to accept your card in the end, because if there is a pattern behind irish processors not taking the card because it's "dodgy", that would be bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sounds strange, no issue here with any failed transactions, could it be a discrepancy in your billing address? The Germans use a different format.

So far I've used the card on Three.ie, Netflix, iTunes (which won't take a UK card for Irish store), Electric Ireland, Topaz, Super Valu, ATMs and a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yes 517337 I presume everybody's the same - Bus Eireann wouldn't surprise me or Irish Rail. I'd still go to an ATM and withdraw money - you will certainly need this for POS in shops etc.

As I say we should compile a list and if a business wont take the card -we could give out the business e-mail if any and get people to e-mail them.

We will need 100% accurate info of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Just noticed in the web version of your account, you can add a 2MB photo (max) to transactions. Very handy for adding receipts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

OU812 wrote: »
    Just noticed in the web version of your account, you can add a 2MB photo (max) to transactions. Very handy for adding receipts etc.
    You can add/take a pic on the app too.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Such a simple and incredibly useful thing, but it really shows up every single bank we have in Ireland. They'll want to pull their heads out of their arses soon before Number26 and more like it overrun the Irish market.

- Funny never thought about that as I just took a photo of a receipt from the pub the other day -my first POS and added it to the app.

Take a photo of the ATM you get the money from - add a note.

Take a photo of the meal etc. - it's like building a diary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Such a simple and incredibly useful thing, but it really shows up every single bank we have in Ireland. They'll want to pull their heads out of their arses soon before Number26 and more like it overrun the Irish market.

Pretty sure Noonan, Kenny,&Co won't allow that to happen. VRT is a prime example of the power of vested interests in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Pretty sure Noonan, Kenny,&Co won't allow that to happen. VRT is a prime example of the power of vested interests in Ireland.

What a load of nonsense. What can they do to prevent it? If they were planning to do it why not do it when KBC, Rabobank etc decided to enter the market? How does it even relate to VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Card works fine in Tesco and Ulster ATM.

What a load of nonsense. What can they do to prevent it? If they were planning to do it why not do it when KBC, Rabobank etc decided to enter the market? How does it even relate to VRT?

No need to be so abrasive. The post I quoted outlined a doomsday scenario for Irish banks because of the introduction of services like these. I merely pointed out that the free market threatened the motor industry in Ireland and the government of the day introduced VRT, despite its being illegal, to counter that threat.
    Are you suggesting that if such a scenario were likely to arise that the government would or could stand idly by?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Marhay70 wrote: »
    No need to be so abrasive. The post I quoted outlined a doomsday scenario for Irish banks because of the introduction of services like these. I merely pointed out that the free market threatened the motor industry in Ireland and the government of the day introduced VRT, despite its being illegal, to counter that threat.
    Are you suggesting that if such a scenario were likely to arise that the government would or could stand idly by?

VRT is a pain in the balls. Looking to change cars at the moment and sometimes wander onto autotrader.co.uk. Ton of choice, great prices and full history... and then I remember the state of the exchange rate and VRT.

However, there's nothing illegal about it. VRT would only be illegal if we had an indigenous car industry that we were protecting. We don't. A bunch of car dealers do not make a Motor industry. We're hardly the only country that has in Europe. Still, it's annoying when you consider the ideas of the open market.

VRT is a pain in the balls. Looking to change cars at the moment and sometimes wander onto autotrader.co.uk. Ton of choice, great prices and full history... and then I remember the state of the exchange rate and VRT.

However, there's nothing illegal about it. VRT would only be illegal if we had an indigenous car industry that we were protecting. We don't. A bunch of car dealers do not make a Motor industry. We're hardly the only country that has in Europe. Still, it's annoying when you consider the ideas of the open market.

VRT was introduced to protect the motor industry i.e. motor dealerships. I suppose illegal was to strong a description, rather its implementation was illegal as it gave unfair advantage to Irish dealerships and is technically in breach of EU competition law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I set up a payment Saturday for money to be sent from Ulster bank to #26 with todays date, Does anyone know if it will be send today or 2-4 days after todays date? This was done through the international payments and #26 is added on my Beneficiary list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I set up a payment Saturday for money to be sent from Ulster bank to #26 with todays date, Does anyone know if it will be send today or 2-4 days after todays date? This was done through the international payments and #26 is added on my Beneficiary list.

Should be processed today and there latest tomorrow, might even be in tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Got my card this morning. Do I have to do an ATM withdrawal now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Got my card this morning. Do I have to do an ATM withdrawal now?

Just put it into an ATM and enter your PIN. No need for a withdrawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Got my card this morning.

When did you do your video call?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement