Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

If anyone's setting up an account I'll gladly refer them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Just the referrer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I'm happy to refer and will send on 5 euro once 10 is credited and I'm given Bic and Iban. Please remove if against rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

Tried to make contactless payment with card in Aldi and for some reason it failed both times.

Card had already been activated with chip and pin transaction. Also, when I tried in Lidl it worked fine.

Anyone having the same or opposite experience with ALDI stores (NFC payment) ??

• Advertisement

Aldi take credit cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

If this was one of the Irish banks that have been riding us for years, I'd say fire away, I'm first in line, but they are offering free banking, setting up a chain to collect tenners doesn't seem to be in the spirit it was offered.
    Use the offer it to get a few customers that weren't going to be signing up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Aldi take credit cards?

Yes, they accept credit cards.

When it failed with nfc I paid successfully using the PIN etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Satriale wrote: »
    If this was one of the Irish banks that have been riding us for years, I'd say fire away, I'm first in line, but they are offering free banking, setting up a chain to collect tenners doesn't seem to be in the spirit it was offered.
    Use the offer it to get a few customers that weren't going to be signing up anyway.

I don't see the problem with a German bank luring in customers from Ireland by giving us money to join up. I only see irony because it's probably the money we have already paid over via the 2008 bank guarantee to bail out badly run banks here anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I don't see the problem with a German bank luring in customers from Ireland by giving us money to join up. I only see irony because it's probably the money we have already paid over via the 2008 bank guarantee to bail out badly run banks here anyway.

Your lack of understanding of both banking and economics is unsettling. Does every thread on boards have to descend to this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

A company I have a contract with uses BOI to pay me. When I was with Ulster bank it could take a couple of days to get the money in my account, usually the company would make payment on a Friday and I might get the money on the Saturday, but sometimes I had to wait until Monday which was annoying. Since I opened a BOI account the money usually only takes a couple of hours to show in my account after they pay it.

If I used this new bank account, is there a risk it would take longer to get into my account so I can spend it? I am willing to pay a little extra to BOI if I know I get the money on the day its been sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

My first chance to activate it since Christmas, I went to three ATM's two were out of service or similar message, and the final one was an Ulster Bank.

I inserted the card, queue forming behind me, just pressed "Display Balance" and it said something like "Error, please contact your bank" and spat the card back out.
    I just left it at that, as it was the only working machine around and people were queuing.

I had entered the PIN though. Is the card active now? Is there a way to check that I'm missing?
    Thanks.

EDIT:

Okay, I see in Control Center that it says:
    Temporary Card Settings
    Card Unblocked COLOR="Lime"]unlocked[/COLOR
    Paying for things abroad COLOR="Red"]locked[/COLOR
    Paying onlone COLOR="Lime"]unlocked[/COLOR
    Withdrawing cash COLOR="Lime"]unlocked[/COLOR

Why is Paying for things abroad still locked and how can I unlock it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

A company I have a contract with uses BOI to pay me. When I was with Ulster bank it could take a couple of days to get the money in my account, usually the company would make payment on a Friday and I might get the money on the Saturday, but sometimes I had to wait until Monday which was annoying. Since I opened a BOI account the money usually only takes a couple of hours to show in my account after they pay it.

If I used this new bank account, is there a risk it would take longer to get into my account so I can spend it? I am willing to pay a little extra to BOI if I know I get the money on the day its been sent.

In a similar situation myself hence I'll probably be stuck with BOI for a while for this reason alone. Getting companies to change over bank details can be a right pain and IMHO it's not worth the hassle. If it ain't broke...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

People that have referred someone, did you do it by text or email? Did two by text earlier and no message has been received

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

inel wrote: »
    Tried to make contactless payment with card in Aldi and for some reason it failed both times.

Card had already been activated with chip and pin transaction. Also, when I tried in Lidl it worked fine.

Anyone having the same or opposite experience with ALDI stores (NFC payment) ??

I actually had the same exact issue in ALDI, thought I was being trigger happy presenting the card a little too fast before the machine was ready or something, so after 2 attempts I just used chip and pin instead. Have used NFC pretty much everywhere else and have had no issues.
    Will try to use it next time I'm in ALDI as perhaps it was a fluke but interesting that you had the same issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »

They don't currently offer loans/savings in Ireland, but they do in Germany and I wouldn't be surprised if they do here eventually too.

At the moment they simply offer a current account with no fees. Their service is completely online and they have no physical branches.

BTW the idea that in order to be a bank you have to offer current/savings/loans/mortgages or that you have everything with the same bank is quiet old fashioned and not really true of modern banking.

I would recommend that people not feel stuck with just one bank, but instead shop around for the best value for money for each service. Personally I've the following:

- PTSB current account for free current account banking
    - Revolut Card for cost free foreign currency (online transactions with Amazon, etc. and travelling abroad).
    - Mortgage with AIB (cheapest interest rates).
    - Savings accounts with Rabodirect, Irish Nationwide, AIB, etc.

People need to stop thinking of their local bank manager as their friend, the Irish banks couldn't care less about you and instead people need to shop around for the best deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Is anyone else having trouble with registering their address? I try to set it up but the site keeps saying can't find address, then I get a generic error occurred when I change details.

I've since mailed them, but a work around before the 3 to 5 day response times would be handy.

I used the app for signing up instead of the website. Have you tried that on a tablet or smartphone?

Withdrew €1,000 from BOI ATM today no problem and then POS in Pub after. Great to see the 2 notifications pop up on phone.

I'm sure I could have taken out €2,500 (max. limit) if I had the money in my account and if the ATM wasn't running low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Any advantage over Revolut?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Invincible wrote: »
    Any advantage over Revolut?

It is closer to a full account, you can:

- Have your wages paid into it
    - set up direct debits, pay bills with it.

Basically you could potentially replace your current account with this, with Revolut you really need to have a separate current account to top it up.

Revolut is more for getting fantastic value on foreign exchange currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

bk wrote: »
    It is closer to a full account, you can:

- Have your wages paid into it
    - set up direct debits, pay bills with it.

Basically you could potentially replace your current account with this, with Revolut you really need to have a separate current account to top it up.

Revolut is more for getting fantastic value on foreign exchange currency.

I just had a look at https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/ and the exchange rate there is almost the same as revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Amouar wrote: »
    I just had a look at https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/ and the exchange rate there is almost the same as revolut.

I think he meant that Revoluts main feature is the good exchange rates, whereas Number26 offers that plus the current account features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

bertie4evr wrote: »
    I think he meant that Revoluts main feature is the good exchange rates, whereas Number26 offers that plus the current account features.

From what I have read on here, Number26 sets an exchange rate once per day whereas Revolut changes several times per day to keep up to date with fluctuations.

I have used my Revolut card a lot as where I live I have to drive 15 minutes to go to the main towns, Letterkenny, Strabane or LondonDerry. Its the same distance to each so I use Revolut a lot when Im over the border raiding Asda!

Has anyone studied the exchange rates differences throughout a day, would it make much difference using the Revolut card or the Number26 card? What would the advantages be to keep using the Revolut card over the Number26 card, if any?

I understand the extra banking features with Number 26, I would just like a pros and cons of the currency exchange benefits to compare each card. I dont mind having both services seeing a they are free, I just want to make the right decision on which is better value to use when I get paid in Euros but spend a lot in Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭palec69

Amouar wrote: »

I used my N26 card in Poland last week. I made three purchases in one day, at different times and in different cities. They give you an estimate first for your conversion rates, and i took about 2 working days for the transactions to be processed. In the end all 3 transactions had 3 different conversion rates. The difference wasn't more than €0.01.

So I'm not sure how it works. The conversion rate on mastercard's website for that day was €1 for 4.22 PLN (polish currency)
    and my transactions were processed at :

Not a huge difference, no big deal for me as it was small amounts, but if you were paying for example 2000 PLN for something that would be €5 difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

palec69 wrote: »
    I used my N26 card in Poland last week. I made three purchases in one day, at different times and in different cities. They give you an estimate first for your conversion rates, and i took about 2 working days for the transactions to be processed. In the end all 3 transactions had 3 different conversion rates. The difference wasn't more than €0.01.

So I'm not sure how it works. The conversion rate on mastercard's website for that day was €1 for 4.22 PLN (polish currency)
    and my transactions were processed at :

Not a huge difference, no big deal for me as it was small amounts, but if you were paying for example 2000 PLN for something that would be €5 difference.

How would this compare to revolut rates? Did you also use revolut?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement