Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭palec69

Amouar wrote: »
    How would this compare to revolut rates? Did you also use revolut?

No, I don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Irish banks suck :(
    I did another transfer from PTSB to N26 on the 30th at 11am
    Didn't hit by yesterday afternoon & I called PTSB. They say because of christmas allow one extra day.
    It still hasn't hit my N26 yet
    WTF. I though SEPA if done before 2pm is there next working day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Didn't hit by yesterday afternoon & I called PTSB. They say because of christmas allow one extra day.

Doesn't seem to be the case. I do lots of Ireland to UK and Ireland to Poland transfers in work via AIB online banking. If it's marked as urgent, it gets there same day (and costs €12.70 or something like that), if marked as normal it can take 2-3 working days. Though maybe it's different in the Eurozone, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Nothing to do with Irish bank in this case.

The 31st is a bank holiday in Germany, so next bank opening in Germany is on Monday 4th of January. You should see it than.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Amouar wrote: »
    I just had a look at https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/ and the exchange rate there is almost the same as revolut.

I prefer Revolut for my own needs, but it might not be the same for everyone.

I don't really need a free current account, as I already have a free current account with PTSB with the advantage of having a branch whenever I need it.

I use the Revolut card purely for foreign transactions and a form of security when travelling abroad. I prefer that I can load cash onto my Revolut card almost instantly using my PTSB debit card and thus only put the exact amount I need for each transaction. Handy to reduce the chance of money being stolen from your account.

The disadvantage of the Number26 account is that it can take a few days to transfer money to the account, so really you need to keep a lot more money on the account if you are travelling for a few days. Say you are on holidays for a week, then realistically you would need to transfer a weeks worth of money to the card a few days before you go. With a Revolut card, you could top it up each night in your hotel with just enough money for the next day or even more frequently if you have data roaming. Just less danger if your card is skimmed, etc.

Having said that, if I didn't have a free PTSB account, then I'd be much more interested in the Number26 account for it's free banking element. Even at that the vastly superior Number26 app then the PTSB app has me seriously interested in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Can you use Number26 card on gambling sites like PaddyPower/Betfair? I don't bet that often but I don't like the idea of being on a list in the bank because I gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I tried Paddy Power but it wouldn't recognise the card number. I could have e-mailed them but i didn't bother so if you e-mail them you might be able to get them to recognise number26 mastercard.

I did register number26 with paypal no problem and then I used paypal to transfer money in to my paddy power a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

bk wrote: »
    I prefer Revolut for my own needs, but it might not be the same for everyone.

I don't really need a free current account, as I already have a free current account with PTSB with the advantage of having a branch whenever I need it.

I use the Revolut card purely for foreign transactions and a form of security when travelling abroad. I prefer that I can load cash onto my Revolut card almost instantly using my PTSB debit card and thus only put the exact amount I need for each transaction. Handy to reduce the chance of money being stolen from your account.

The disadvantage of the Number26 account is that it can take a few days to transfer money to the account, so really you need to keep a lot more money on the account if you are travelling for a few days. Say you are on holidays for a week, then realistically you would need to transfer a weeks worth of money to the card a few days before you go. With a Revolut card, you could top it up each night in your hotel with just enough money for the next day or even more frequently if you have data roaming. Just less danger if your card is skimmed, etc.

Having said that, if I didn't have a free PTSB account, then I'd be much more interested in the Number26 account for it's free banking element. Even at that the vastly superior Number26 app then the PTSB app has me seriously interested in it.

Makes sense. The ability to top up using a debit card is a great thing in Revolut, however I'm not really sure how good they are in case of a fraudulent transaction as they are not a bank. Number26 is a bank so it might be more straight forward to deal with them when a fraudulent transaction happens.

Also with Number26, there seem to be the option to have a greater control on the card limits, you can increase and decrease them whenever you need.

See below for more details:

8. Customer's Entitlement to Refunds and Compensation

8.1 Refund in the case of unauthorised Transactions

In the event of an unauthorised Transaction, the Bank has no claim against the Customer for a reimbursement of its expenses

The Bank is obliged to refund the amount to the Customer immediately and without deduction. If the amount was debited from

the Account, the Bank will return it to the balance it would have had but for the unauthorised Transaction.

8.2 Refund in the case of an authorised Transaction that was not executed or executed incorrectly

(1) In the event that an authorised Transaction is not executed or is executed incorrectly, the Customer may demand a refund

of the amount of the Transaction from the Bank immediately and without deduction to the extent it was not executed or

executed incorrectly. If the amount was debited from the Account, the Bank will return it to the balance it would have had

but for the non­executed or incorrect Transaction.

(2) Further to paragraph (1) the Customer may demand the refund of fees and interest to the extent he or she was charged

such fees or interest or to the extent such amounts were debited from his or her Account in connection with the

non­executed or incorrect Transaction.

(3) In the event that an authorised Transaction was not executed or executed incorrectly, the Bank shall trace the Transaction

upon the Customer's request and inform the Customer of the finding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

- Mine seems ok I'm using ios 9.2 but the left arrow at the top always seems very non responsive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Why does "Payments Abroad" always revert to off in card settings?

Just checked on Android - same for me but I haven't received or activated my card yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I wondered that too, and I'm guessing it's a security feature.
    For example you can probably turn it on temporarily if you are allowing somebody abroad to buy something using your card (if possible), or if you need to allow it for some online payment etc..
    But it reverts to off again because of your phones Geolocation.

I've looked on all of these, and none say why, but they all mention the feature.
    https://www.deutscheskonto.org/en/number26/mastercard/
    https://www.deutscheskonto.org/en/number26-international/
    https://www.facebook.com/NUMBER26-443405509193065/?_ft_=top_level_post_id.1678148609067568%3Atl_objid.1678148609067568%3Athid.1540253889523708%3A306061129499414%3A3%3A0%3A1451635199%3A5920863895232132418

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Has anyone else encountered an issue with old style passports not being accepted?
    My current passport was issued in prior to the new machine readable format and the video chat would not accept it as it was different from their control list.

If it has to be a machine readable passport they should say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Delta2113 wrote: »
    If it has to be a machine readable passport they should say so.

They won't accept a machine readable passport, it needs to be one of the newer chipped passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

New card-form drivers licence not accepted either

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

New card-form drivers licence not accepted either

Irish Passport Card is not typical ID and it definitely cannot be used for ID verification by foreign bank. In most EU countries driving license cannot be accepted as a main form of identification by the bank.

• Advertisement

- They really should, you actually need to have a passport to get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanPammer

McGaggs wrote: »
    They won't accept a machine readable passport, it needs to be one of the newer chipped passports.

I got verified with old style non machine readable Irish passport 2/3 weeks ago.

Maybe they have changed requirement since that.

You can see what documents are accepted here:

https://number26.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Video_Verification_Supported_Countries_IDNOW.pdf

* These consider only the newest version of the ID Document

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Pablo1802 wrote: »
    Irish Passport Card is not typical ID and it definitely cannot be used for ID verification by foreign bank. In most EU countries driving license cannot be accepted as a main form of identification by the bank.

Actually not true, the new Irish Passport Card has the same standing as EU national ID cards and most be accepted in the same way (EU airlines, etc.).

I believe Number26 are mistaken on this and should be accepting it.

Yes driving licenses are a different story and may not be accepted.

Actually not true, the new Irish Passport Card has the same standing as EU national ID cards and most be accepted in the same way (EU airlines, etc.).

I believe Number26 are mistaken on this and should be accepting it.

Yes driving licenses are a different story and may not be accepted.

The passport card is coded as IP (Passport) not ID (National Identity Card).

It is a passport in card format and not a National ID card that also can be used for travel, there is a difference.

As to number26 not taking the passport card, most likely BaFin has the card not on the approved document list and for Ireland requires the passport book (which is why some people report that they have to show the cover of the passport).

Your passport card is also not accepted for travel to all countries, you can't go to the US with it for example. They should have done the right thing and issued a national id card instead of this monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Source?

"The Irish Passport Card, can be used by Irish citizens for travel within the EU/EEA and Switzerland." -DFA

Travel being the operative word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

This is 100% incorrect information. Have a look at:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/new-passport-card/

Irish Passport Card can be used for travel within EU only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement