Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Not sure if it's been raised but sorry if it has, But what's the case when your attacked by fraud on your card? Do they block your card and notify you of strange activity on your card,and do they refund you like Irish banks if cards skimmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Unsure what Number26 actually do, but you get notifications instantly for all transactions and can block the card through the app, so there's at least something you can do yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been raised but sorry if it has, But what's the case when your attacked by fraud on your card? Do they block your card and notify you of strange activity on your card,and do they refund you like Irish banks if cards skimmed?

I recommend you read the T&C for the card here:
    https://www.wirecardbank.com/fileadmin/user_upload/wirecardbank/fileuploads/Dokumente_Englisch/WD-Bank_AGB_PrepaidCards_ENG_171213.pdf

However generally, as you get notification for any authorization (which is the advantage of real time notifications with this account) you would immediately see that there is something going on and can block the card yourself in the app/on the web and then call them to notify them about it.

Your liability is up to 150€ until receiving the card block notice if you have not intentional or grossly negligent contributed to the unauthorized usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Used the contactless function in pub and fast food outlet last night. Great getting the notification's.

Still havn't recived my card from verifying my details on 18th December,Many others get a card after verifying since?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Still havn't recived my card from verifying my details on 18th December,Many others get a card after verifying since?

Received my card today. Verified my account on the 1st of January

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Still havn't recived my card from verifying my details on 18th December

That makes five we know about who verified just before Christmas but received no cards.
    I reckon they didn't process/forgot about a batch.

Sent two emails last week - no response. Their "contact us" confirmation now says expect a response after 3-5 working days.
    Added to this calling inevitably results in a 20 minute wait followed by a message "we're busy - call back".

An uncontactable bank? They expect people to have their salaries, direct debits & standing orders transferred to them?

While Revolut isn't a full service bank, I never had an issue contacting them.
    I'd think very carefully before transferring any important banking functions to Number26 :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

I was finally able to get through to them on phone today after about 90 min, and redialing 3 times. It turns out that my identification has not been verified and there is some problem and hence card has not yet been issued. They asked me to do the video call again. But the problem is I am not able to do that on the phone or through the PC as I get a message that I have to ring the phone no. in Germany for sorting out this verification issue. Will ring them again tomorrow to see how to get around this issue.
    Problem is I don't understand German and when I ring the +49 no. I don't know what to do once they start firing away in German. Will call the Irish no. again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Sent a transfer today at 11am to my PTSB account. Arrived in the PTSB account by 5pm. Impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Update.

After I sent the email asking about registration issues they were back onto me within an hour and I was able to set up the account after a video call. I did have a problem with my passport: an airline had put a sticker on the front cover covering the words passport/pás and they asked me to remove it and contact them again so they could photograph it- cue me holding the front of it over a boiling kettle to get the steam to loosen the sticker enough to tear it off. I thought it was a bit fussy, but they are German and they like to follow rules, so that was that.

I sent money from my bank account on the 31st of December and it was in my n26 account on the evening of the 4th of January. I received my card on the 7th, which I was impressed by considering the delay that I expected to go with public holidays.

I haven't used the card yet but will give it a run in the next few days to test the NFC.

All trolling aside, I am reluctant to move everything over to them for now but I am interested in seeing if it will be more practical in the future.

By the way, did anyone else find it a bit difficult to read some of the numbers (in black print...) over the black background on the card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Yeah I found it difficult alright, maybe when the black wears off from being in/out of the wallet for so long it'll be easier to read :D

I love the option of being able to add a memo/picture to a transaction. Such a simple feature I had been using another app for. For the spending breakdown I'll continue to use YNAB (and recommend people to look into it) but this small little feature will help tie into that really well.

Overall, I think I'll be using ptsb for wages and most DD but number26 for day to day spending.

cefh17 wrote: »
    Overall, I think I'll be using ptsb for wages and most DD but number26 for day to day spending.

Im the very same (If i ever get my card), Just the day-to-day spending,

Im mostly looking forward to the NFC as im with ulster bank and have never had access to it (Debit card).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

Im the very same (If i ever get my card), Just the day-to-day spending,

Im mostly looking forward to the NFC as im with ulster bank and have never had access to it (Debit card).

Many shops around the country have older card machines and can't accept NFC so I wouldn't get too excited about it. Some that do have a minimum spend of let's say €7 before it can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

bromley52 wrote: »
    Many shops around the country have older card machines and can't accept NFC so I wouldn't get too excited about it. Some that do have a minimum spend of let's say €7 before it can be used.

Having a minimum spend is against the T&Cs of the provider, report them to Mastercard or Visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm about a month in, no issues so far. Card hasn't failed me yet and the Contactless is great for small amounts. Some retailers don't broadcast the Mastercard 'Paypass' logo so you really have to look at the terminal to see if it's on there. The four dots across the top seems to be an indicator.

Sorry to hear of those of you having problems, they have got some stick for it on Facebook/Twitter etc. so hopefully it's just a glitch in the matrix...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Transferred money from AIB yesterday at 8 PM , and I got a notification now that it reached my Number26 account! Seriously impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

NoelDoran wrote: »
    Guys, could anyone tell me how can i lodge money the my Number26 account other than using an online transfer?

I tired my local post office but their system doesn't recognise the Number26 bank card?

Im also looking for a way to bypass using my bank account ive mailed them but no response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You can do a Bank Transfer too. I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Anyone use another type of ID like a Driving License or Age card. My passport is expired since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

They wouldn't accept my driving licence only passport

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Anyone having problems with the android app? I'm signed up since Dec 10th and got the app around then.. I seen people in this thread posting about an updated version of the app but I wasn't able to update my one.. I deleted the app to download the latest version but now it's saying my device isn't compatible with the current version. I'm running Android version 5.1.1 on a Sony Xperia Z3. Anyone having similar problems or know a way to resolve it? App works perfect on my ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

No issues here with the app. Don't think it's updated since I first installed it around the same time as you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I didn't think the instant notifications were going to be so instant. Just took out €20 earlier to validate the pin and I literally just step away from the ATM and the notification came through. Less than 5 seconds. Pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ceroc81

I didn't think the instant notifications were going to be so instant. Just took out €20 earlier to validate the pin and I literally just step away from the ATM and the notification came through. Less than 5 seconds. Pretty impressive.

Yep, I'm impressed as well, even got a notification when there is not enough funds in your account or hit the withdrawal limit.

Went to an ATM and attempted to withdraw 700€ but had a 600€ monthly withdrawal set on the card so got a notification of a Declined withdrawal notification, excellent way to keep track of suspicious activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm well impressed as well, still falls short in a few areas, but I'm sure they will catch up. Only being able to download a pdf of your account is annoying as that is of little use for importing into financial software apps. That's the biggest issue I have, the others are annoying but I can live with using other accounts.

I've made it my main current account, it's super being able to turn on and off things like online payments, payments abroad, etc, temporarily blocking your card and setting an overdraft limit. What impressed me most was the account switching service, this made it so painless. The only annoying thing was that it imported joint account services, but it was easy to ignore them in the app. They should have a switch for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I just got off the phone to a nice gent from support. (7min wait time)

He said the holiday season might be causing delays. They had 5 bank holidays in a row and a few other holidays around Christmas.

So he recommended waiting until Monday. If the card has not arrived by then I can report it as stolen so they will send out a new one.

The German postal service lost a batch of cards around the 20th of December. So my card is in that batch. However they found them yesterday and are sending them out again.

So I'll wait till next Monday to see if it arrives. I had an option to let them send out a new card but I'm not in a rush. I can wait and see if the first one arrives.

The German postal service lost a batch of cards around the 20th of December. So my card is in that batch. However they found them yesterday and are sending them out again.

So I'll wait till next Monday to see if it arrives. I had an option to let them send out a new card but I'm not in a rush. I can wait and see if the first one arrives.

I was trying to ring them up this morning about my card but after 20mins it hangs up automatically,Tried twice but maxed out both times. Hopefully my card is in that batch and is been sent out. Did they say it could take 5-10 days delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

jester77 wrote: »
    I'm well impressed as well, still falls short in a few areas, but I'm sure they will catch up. Only being able to download a pdf of your account is annoying as that is of little use for importing into financial software apps. That's the biggest issue I have, the others are annoying but I can live with using other accounts.

I've made it my main current account, it's super being able to turn on and off things like online payments, payments abroad, etc, temporarily blocking your card and setting an overdraft limit. What impressed me most was the account switching service, this made it so painless. The only annoying thing was that it imported joint account services, but it was easy to ignore them in the app. They should have a switch for that.

How does the account switching work? On the app it's in German.. Will it switch all my direct debits/standing orders to Number 26? Can it be that simple?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement