Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

clacks wrote: »
    How does the account switching work? On the app it's in German.. Will it switch all my direct debits/standing orders to Number 26? Can it be that simple?

ah, I think it was in German and not localised yet.

It logs into your current bank account, pulls down all the direct debits and displays a list. The problem here is that if you have a joint account these get pulled in as well. But you can go through the list and ignore all these. It can be a bit time consuming verifying what belongs to what account.

If you only have a current account then it is not a problem. It then shows 3 possibilities - accounts they don't know about, accounts where it is possible to change details online, and accounts where you will have to the changes offline.

I had a few that were showed as offline, but I was able to change online, so it is not 100% accurate. It didn't have any accounts for me that it didn't know about. For the other offline accounts, they said that they could forward the details onto them, but that failed. But they provide you a screen where you can sign your name and they then email you the letters. You have to nothing except print them out and send them in the post, they even have the address where they should be sent on the letter, very painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

No bank card as of yet, contacted them twice about it, just got the default 3-5 message back.

Registered on the 14th December, so could be in that missing batch.

Can't get my company to allow the 10 digit bank code.

Not exactly a promising start

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So in German Forums there is news/speculation that the "credit card" is now a "debit card" and that what they might do is move the "51733" block over to debit.

That would explain how some people here did not get charged for "credit card" when booking with airlines and how someone I know used his number26 card to pay his avantcard (which only takes debit cards).

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Having a debit card would be great for topping up Revolut ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I work for a company in the UK so I'm paid in sterling. Paying in to the number26 account rather than BOI gets me €100 a month extra on £2500.

• Advertisement

ch750536 wrote: »
    I work for a company in the UK so I'm paid in sterling. Paying in to the number26 account rather than BOI gets me €100 a month extra on £2500.

Why don't you get a UK bank account and than use revolut or transferwise? That will give you even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

That new gang Fire Financial are offering UK accounts for Irish customers, no DDs or Payment card but as a means of taking control of your funds it's worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

That would make your blood boil.

Savman wrote: »
    That new gang Fire Financial are offering UK accounts for Irish customers, no DDs or Payment card but as a means of taking control of your funds it's worth looking at.

or if you need something more advanced, check out monese.

Currently android only (or via bluestack on a PC). A lot of fiddle to get the passport picture correct but worth the effort as it also gives you a visa card etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

This is just down to the difference in the GBP:EUR rates that BOI offer versus what Mastercard offer right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

This is just down to the difference in the GBP:EUR rates that BOI offer versus what Mastercard offer right?

Correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Councilman Les Wynan

I've lost my passport and I'm yet to replace it - do you know if they'll accept the new driver's license (full, not a permit)?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I've lost my passport and I'm yet to replace it - do you know if they'll accept the new driver's license (full, not a permit)?

Afraid not. Newer passports only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

Could someone who has tried out both this and revolut advise which is better overall?

I want to avoid signing up for both if possible.

Many thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Could someone who has tried out both this and revolut advise which is better overall?

I want to avoid signing up for both if possible.

Many thanks.

They're two very different things. This is a fully fledged bank account with some limitations. Revolut is just a card that gets you excellent exchange rates.

They're two very different things. This is a fully fledged bank account with some limitations. Revolut is just a card that gets you excellent exchange rates.

Which one would you recommend just for fx? What are the limitations of the bank account? Is there a savings account option?

Is one more of a hassle to sign up for?
    ?

?

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Which one would you recommend just for fx? What are the limitations of the bank account? Is there a savings account option?

Is one more of a hassle to sign up for?
    ?

?

Thanks
    If it's just for exchange rates then Revolut would be the way to go as it has better rates.

If it's just for exchange rates then Revolut would be the way to go as it has better rates.

Thanks for the one question you answered; not so much for not answering the other questions.

Thanks for the one question you answered; not so much for not answering the other questions.

I'm on mobile so long detailed replies are a pain in the ass. I was gonna answer question 2 when I got back to my PC, as it requires a long detailed reply, if someone hadn't answered it in the meantime but you can get fúcked now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

Haha brilliant

I'm on mobile so long detailed replies are a pain in the ass. I was gonna answer question 2 when I got back to my PC, as it requires a long detailed reply, if someone hadn't answered it in the meantime but you can get fúcked now

My reply was meant in jest I assure you.

That longer reply would be appreciated...

In Summary (so that it even can be read on an Apple Watch):

Revolut for good FX rates when loading via debit card or bank transfer is preferred.
    Number26 when bank account alternative is needed.

As the great AlmightyCushion pointed out, it’s two very different things, here the longer version:

Revolut
    Visa card linked to a virtual wallet that can be topped up via debit card or bank transfer to a common holding account (transfers must come from a bank account in the name of the revolut card holder).
    Proprietary exchanges rates used for spending in any currency or exchanging between wallet currencies ($, £, €), rates can be seen in the app only.
    Transfers out of the wallet to a bank account possible, however take approx. 3 days to process.
    Signup online with id verification via the app by taking pictures.
    Card number available immediately, card follows shortly after via mail.

Number26
    Mastercard linked to a bank account in € with own IBAN allowing full banking services including Direct Debit, SEPA transfers etc.
    Restrictions are no cash into the account (unless in Germany) and no foreign currency bank transfers.
    Mastercard exchange rates used for spending in foreign currencies. No fees for any services.
    Signup online with ID verification via video chat.
    IBAN number available immediately, card follows via mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Are Revelot and Number26 exempt from Irish (or German) govt taxes such as stamp duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Are Revelot and Number26 exempt from Irish (or German) govt taxes such as stamp duty?

No, but unless Revenue chase after them, you probably won't be charged them.

It's what people call a "loophole".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone having issues? Just tried to withdraw money & the atm said "service unavailable"

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone having issues? Just tried to withdraw money & the atm said "service unavailable"

Used my card for the first time today. Service unavailable with AIB but worked perfect at BOI atm

Do I take it that Revolut is best for exchange rates? I have both but I actually don't think I need Number26 (I've realised I only really use my AIB account for online purchases).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

kuro2k wrote: »
    Used my card for the first time today. Service unavailable with AIB but worked perfect at BOI atm

Interesting. I activated the card on a BOI when I got it but was at an AIB arm earlier. Wonder if anything a connected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Very disappointing on their verification process. Two people couldn't help me in the verification process. One said the photo of the passport is not getting uploaded in their system for some clarity reasons. Second one said the version of the Irish passport I have is not on their system; really don't know what version they have nor what different version I have; when asked about it the guy disconnected the call without any answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement