Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

mac.in wrote: »
    Very disappointing on their verification process. Two people couldn't help me in the verification process. One said the photo of the passport is not getting uploaded in their system for some clarity reasons. Second one said the version of the Irish passport I have is not on their system; really don't know what version they have nor what different version I have; when asked about it the guy disconnected the call without any answer.

When I signed up a couple of days ago they sounded very relieved that my phone had a decent camera, it sounds like they're running into problems with picture quality.

As for the passport a few people here have had trouble signing up because they have older passports. I think the design of them changed in 2013, so if it's older then that it could cause problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    https://number26.eu/ie/

Never heard of them. Research required first! Most importantly are they properly registered and regulated? I've no reason to doubt it, but still...In God we trust, everything else we verify!

Lucky you dont require God to be verified, can you imagine the uproar when you prove religion is a work of fantasy!

I tried to register for this earlier today. Once I submitted my email and country ofd residence, it took me to a second page, which was blank, nothing at all on the screen. No amount of refreshing or trying it on 3 different web browsers made a difference, same blank screen. I called their customer services to listen to music for 21 minutes, for them to say "We are very busy right now, please call again later".

Might be free, but no wonder if they cant even answer their phone to customers trying to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

It's not issued from an Irish bank so you're safe.

Instead of using my PC browser to sign up, which failed over and over, I downloaded the app on my phone and it worked straight away. Unfortunately the focus function wasnt working in the app, so I had to call back and do it again. I made sure I used the camera and focused on the passport at the same distance before I opened the Number26 app. Then when I tried again it was working perfectly.

So simple. Cant wait to not have to pay to use my card at all and be able to minimise charges.

Instead of using my PC browser to sign up, which failed over and over, I downloaded the app on my phone and it worked straight away. Unfortunately the focus function wasnt working in the app, so I had to call back and do it again. I made sure I used the camera and focused on the passport at the same distance before I opened the Number26 app. Then when I tried again it was working perfectly.

So simple. Cant wait to not have to pay to use my card at all and be able to minimise charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Interesting, I had to actually withdraw 20€ from an ATM before being able to use in shops. I had previously gone to one and just put in my PIN but clearly that didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 giannidtz

Interesting, I had to actually withdraw 20€ from an ATM before being able to use in shops. I had previously gone to one and just put in my PIN but clearly that didn't work.

Here is the answer:

https://number26.eu/support/why-is-my-mastercard-not-working/

When you set the PIN for your NUMBER26 MasterCard or Maestro card, it is stored securely in the MasterCard network as your online PIN. However, in some countries, such as France, Ireland, Greece and Slovakia, merchants predominantly use card terminals that rely on an offline PIN. These machines will verify the PIN code against a secure element on your card’s chip, not against the MasterCard network. That is why your PIN code is not accepted at these terminals.

In order for your card to work at these terminals, you first need to synchronize your online PIN to the secure element on your card’s chip. You can do this easily by withdrawing money at an ATM with your card. ATMs will always verify your PIN code online, and they will write your online PIN to the secure element on your chip. Once you have successfully withdrawn money from an ATM, your PIN will be accepted at offline PIN terminals as well.

It is important to keep in mind that each time you change your PIN, it will have to be synchronized again with your card’s chip. If you change your PIN yourself, please make sure that you use your card at an ATM in order for the new PIN to work at an offline PIN terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Has any of the folks here who's cards where lost on the 20th Dec Postings received there's yet?

I have still no card and emailed them 9 days ago and no reply, Tried ringing up and it hangs up after 20 mins....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

It's possible your identification could not be verified (as was my case). They do not send any message if the identification verification does not work. From the thread looks like if everything is in order you tend to get the card within a week.
    I have emailed their customer support numerous times (have a case id) to fix my issue but have got absolutely no response for the past 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I signed up but I don't have a valid passport, doubt anyone has tried driver licence or used some irish charm?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Doylers wrote: »
    I signed up but I don't have a valid passport, doubt anyone has tried driver licence or used some irish charm?

A few have tried but Number26 don't handle the ID themselves, this crowd does it. For Ireland the only ID they can check against is a Passport unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

bertie4evr wrote: »
    A few have tried but Number26 don't handle the ID themselves, this crowd does it. For Ireland the only ID they can check against is a Passport unfortunately.

Better renew the passport so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Sent an email to their support team on Jan 12th, got an auto reply to expect a reply in 3-5 days but nothing yet.

How do you get in touch with N26?

Sent an email to their support team on Jan 12th, got an auto reply to expect an answer in 3-5 days but nothing yet.

How do you get in touch with N26?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I posted this in the other thread but just to be sure everybody knows:

There is 30€ Irish Stamp duty on the card with the new AGB:

https://number26.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/NNUMBER26-Pricing-List.pdf
    Please note if you are Irish resident: Government Stamp Duty of €30 p.a. applies.

That is incredible, as it's now a debit card (according to their support pages) this should not apply.

I'm moving off, 30€ is not worth the benefits that number26 is giving over my DKB account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

What's more is I'm 90% sure the last paragraph on this support page wasn't there when I signed up.

https://number26.eu/support/really-costs/

And that's why I shouldn't have believed the "Are there really no costs at all?" page and instead have read the T&Cs.

I'm moving off, 30€ is not worth the benefits that number26 is giving over my DKB account.

€30 is too much, how do you plan to close your account since N26 support is non-existent?

How to sign up for a DKB account?

And their website is built with Wordpress which is really shocking for a fully online bank.

http://number26.eu/WP/wp-login.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Yeah I'm not going to be paying €30 for this. Does anybody know what time of year that €30 is taken? EDIT: Generally 1 April

Stamp duty for a debit card/ATM card is €5. Why should we pay a €30 credit card stamp duty on a debit card?

A piece from Revenue on cancelling a card:
    What if I close my account but do not switch to a new account?

You will generally have to pay stamp duty when you close the credit card or charge card account. The Bank/Credit Card Company is liable for stamp duty on any credit card account or charge card account maintained at any time in the preceding year and is entitled to collect the charge from you. You should seek confirmation from your Bank/Credit Card Company that the account is closed to avoid future stamp duty charges being raised against the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

That's me out, gonna zero out the account & then close it. Unfortunately I've just made a substantial transfer today which won't land until about Wednesday/Thursday next week (thanks for the delay Ulster Bank).
    Does anybody know what time of year that €30 is taken?

1st April or on closure of account.

If they won't close it, it can just sit there. Not paying it.

Have sent them this email, will post reply when I get it (probably be a week)

I note that you have added to your T&Cs that Irish residents have to pay a €30 government stamp duty. This was not in the T&Cs when I signed up. You cannot simply add this charge after the fact.

In addition, Government stamp duty in Ireland is €5 on debit cards. The number 26 card is not a credit card, the charge should only be €5. if the card is a credit card, please inform me of my credit limit (not the credit balance of my account - the actual amount of credit you are extending to me) by return email.

Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

The stamp duty on ATM/debit cards is no longer €5. Instead there is a 12c charge on ATM withdrawals up to a maximum of €5 per annum.
    I presume most Irish N26 users are not getting wages to their N26 accounts so wouldn't be using it for ATM withdrawals very often, if at all.

Should be interesting to see how N26 respond when people clear their accounts and request a closure.

The UK and elsewhere won't have any such issues as they don't have such charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

This is a C/P from an email I received from them yesterday ''Secure banking and changes to the Terms & Conditions''

We’re constantly working to improve NUMBER26 and make it even more secure. From time to time our updates require small changes to our Terms & Conditions (T&Cs). Please note: You can find the adjusted General Terms and Conditions for your “NUMBER26 Current account” here.

On 21.03.2016 we’ll also update the Terms and Conditions with our partner Wirecard Bank. You can find those new T&Cs here. The T&C changes are considered approved should you not contest them in written or electronic form within two months.

If you do plan to contest the T&Cs update, please be sure to do so within the two-month time frame by sending a letter to: NUMBER26 GmbH, Klosterstraße 62, 10179 Berlin or an email to widerspruch@number26.de.

Presumably you just clear out the funds from your account & inform them that you don't agree to the changes & request your account to be closed. That's what I intend doing anyway: emailing support@number26.de and cc'ing it to [EMAIL="widerspruch@number26.de?subject=AGB-Widerspruch"]widerspruch@number26.de[/EMAIL]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I have also emailed and asked for an explanation as to why credit card stamp duty is being applied to a debit card. I would encourage everyone to do so.

I have nothing in there and never even activated the card. If I close it will I escape the €30 charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I think that the 30€ classification is a miss-understanding between Number26 and Revenue.

Number26 went in with the German approach calling it a Credit Card (despite it not being one) and Revenue accepted that and told them that this means that they are required to collect the stamp duty.

Giving that the card however is a debit card (as the transaction is immediately authorized and deducted from a required balance on the card) this is not right.

The Citizen Information services defines credit card as:

A credit card is a plastic card issued by a financial institution that allows you to obtain goods, services or cash up to a stipulated credit limit. You then pay the credit card company for the amount of the total sales you charge on the card. Interest is charged on any outstanding balance each month.

Quite clearly number26 does not provide credit limit.

So what I do is

a.) contest the changed to the AGB to widerspruch@number26.de
    b.) move any funds out of the account
    c.) close the account (you need to send them a pdf that is generated online via the web interface)
    d.) wait if they attempt to collect the 30€
    e.) if they attempt to collect the 30€ I fight it because it's not a credit card

However if you close you account you need to know that according to German forums you can not open another account with number26. So if you close now and they sort this out with revenue you can't go back.

OK since we've got two months I'll wait a bit and see if they come to their senses! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Yeah I'm not going to be paying €30 for this. Does anybody know what time of year that €30 is taken? EDIT: Generally 1 April

Stamp duty for a debit card/ATM card is €5. Why should we pay a €30 credit card stamp duty on a debit card?
    A piece from Revenue on cancelling a card
    What if I close my account but do not switch to a new account?

You will generally have to pay stamp duty when you close the credit card or charge card account. The Bank/Credit Card Company is liable for stamp duty on any credit card account or charge card account maintained at any time in the preceding year and is entitled to collect the charge from you. You should seek confirmation from your Bank/Credit Card Company that the account is closed to avoid future stamp duty charges being raised against the account.

So my card has been activated for all of 2 weeks; looks like it's going to cost me €30. :eek: So if I clear my account, looks as as if there could still be a debt of €30 that somebody is going to look for. All very messy.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement