Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Savman wrote: »
    FWIW I can't get the card to work on Sky Ireland.

Sky also won't take a DD from a non-irish account :rolleyes:

I find it amazing how many companies are unwilling to comply with SEPA. Giving that since 1 February you only can use IBAN for anything there should not be any excuse for it.

I hope you complain to the regulator about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Apart from the confusion with N26 stamp duty fee it has been a great product. The app is great and the exchange rate I got in comparison with Aib debit card is far superior.

It's very useful for travelling. I'm impressed.

The stamp duty thing would have been a total disaster if they went ahead with it, but it was resolved albeit with poor communication.

Apart from the confusion with N26 stamp duty fee it has been a great product. The app is great and the exchange rate I got in comparison with Aib debit card is far superior.

It's very useful for travelling. I'm impressed.

The stamp duty thing would have been a total disaster if they went ahead with it, but it was resolved albeit with poor communication.

Yes, and they finally updated the Terms and Conditions to reflect the correct charging:
    Stamp duty - customers who reside in Ireland are subject to a government stamp duty on their debit card of up to 5,00 € per year

https://support.number26.eu/read/000001252?locale=en&audience=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Has number26 actually acknowledged the 12 cent tax fee for taking cash out using a ROI ATM/LATM?

Are number26 aware if it's customers never use the POS function the cap is €2.50 and not €5?

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Has number26 actually acknowledged the 12 cent tax fee for taking cash out using a ROI ATM/LATM?

Are number26 aware if it's customers never use the POS function the cap is €2.50 and not €5?

In my last discussion with Wirecard they were aware of this. Giving that it's Wirecard that will do the tax declaration to Revenue I'm fairly confident that this debacle is now over.

But than again, one does not know what that jokers at number26 dream up next to upset us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Signed up the other day, and apart from not being able to use my passport card, it was a smooth start.

Question, has anyone got their mortgage DD coming out each month from N26? Is it even possible (to AIB)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Signed up the other day, and apart from not being able to use my passport card, it was a smooth start.

Question, has anyone got their mortgage DD coming out each month from N26? Is it even possible (to AIB)?

AIB has accepted Direct Debits from Non-Irish Accounts for other products (credit card) so you might be able to get it set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

I've had some bother using the card at Ulster Bank ATMs - anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

ahbell wrote: »
    I've had some bother using the card at Ulster Bank ATMs - anyone else noticed this?

Yes, got some error at the Ulster bank ATM at the maxol station on baggot street bridge. Only issue I've had, although that's possibly the only ulster bank ATM I've attempted to use...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

kellsred wrote: »
    Yes, got some error at the Ulster bank ATM at the maxol station on baggot street bridge. Only issue I've had, although that's possibly the only ulster bank ATM I've attempted to use...

Yeah I had used the same ATM, also the Ulster bank ATM at Heuston station.

Can someone lodge €50 into my N26 account to to ensure the transfer feature works ;) thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Can someone lodge €50 into my N26 account to to ensure the transfer feature works ;) thanks in advance.

Done.

And here is a fun article why you should put your NFC number26 card into an RFID insulated wallet:

https://metabubble.net/payment-cards-bank-accounts/your-number26-mastercard-knows-what-you-did-last-summer/

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

And here is a fun article why you should put your NFC number26 card into an RFID insulated wallet:

https://metabubble.net/payment-cards-bank-accounts/your-number26-mastercard-knows-what-you-did-last-summer/

Did you contact N26 support about this? Now they don't even offer chat support.
    Danke! Deine Nachricht wurde versendet. Unser Support Team wird sich in Kürze mit dir in Verbindung setzen. In der Zwischenzeit, schau dir auch gerne unsere Knowledge Base an: https://number26.de/support/

soirish wrote: »
    Did you contact N26 support about this? Now they don't even offer chat support.

I'm not the author, I just came across this article and thought I share it.

My understanding is the author contacted N26 and they started deleting his comments on facebook about it.

As to chat, I just tried and was number 2 in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Seems since they re-coded the cards, Ryanair doesnt charge the CC surcharge!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Well, that is the same for all NFC cards. Lots of cards maintain a history of the last 10 transactions and every card exposes the number and expiry date. That is pretty much common knowledge when it comes to NFC cards. The author is being a bit sensationalist here. These cards are no different to cards issued by any other bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

jester77 wrote: »
    Well, that is the same for all NFC cards. Lots of cards maintain a history of the last 10 transactions and every card exposes the number and expiry date. That is pretty much common knowledge when it comes to NFC cards. The author is being a bit sensationalist here. These cards are no different to cards issued by any other bank.

Just read both a BOI and an AIB card. Both provide "Your card doesn't provide transaction history".

Reedsie wrote: »
    Just read both a BOI and an AIB card. Both provide "Your card doesn't provide transaction history".

Some cards don't provide a transaction history, some do. But they all show the card and expiry date. This guy is trying to make a bigger deal out of this than it is. And all the transactions history shows is the actual amount, I don't know what the purpose of this is. It doesn't show where the transaction took place.

He has another blog posting regarding a security issue which actually was a big deal, but that has since been resolved. But this is a bit of non-issue.

• Advertisement

Some cards don't provide a transaction history, some do. But they all show the card and expiry date. This guy is trying to make a bigger deal out of this than it is. And all the transactions history shows is the actual amount, I don't know what the purpose of this is. It doesn't show where the transaction took place.

He has another blog posting regarding a security issue which actually was a big deal, but that has since been resolved. But this is a bit of non-issue.

Giving that you can see the currency it might allow conclusions as to where you were physically.

In any case, it might have been known since a while and be a MasterCard feature, fact is however that most customers do not know that it is happening and it raises questions about data protection as it could be read out without your knowledge. And while for example my DKB MasterCard has this covered in it's terms (specifically pointing out that 15 last transactions are available), number26 does not.

In any case, the German media picked it up already and state data protection officers have started an investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

I take it at this stage to stay away from joining Number 26?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Joo0 wrote: »

What makes you say that?

Joo0 wrote: »

If that is based on the last 10 transactions on the NFC, than you would have to stay away from most MasterCard's because it's a feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

I'm very happy with my number26 account. I was in Argos the other day and there was some glitch with the self service machine. I was paying with my mastercard and it seemed to go through but then said not authorised. Checked my number26 app and it seemed to have left my account and Argos said it would take a few days to drop off. Ten minutes later it was back in my account. Anytime I've had pending charges like this on my AIB card it takes days for it to drop off the account and the money to be available again.

Here is Number26's response to the NFC "issue"

redmissb wrote: »
    I'm very happy with my number26 account. I was in Argos the other day and there was some glitch with the self service machine. I was paying with my mastercard and it seemed to go through but then said not authorised. Checked my number26 app and it seemed to have left my account and Argos said it would take a few days to drop off. Ten minutes later it was back in my account. Anytime I've had pending charges like this on my AIB card it takes days for it to drop off the account and the money to be available again.

And did you get notifications of all of this in your app? Sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Hmm had a problem with an ATM abroad not issuing cash and transaction failed but the amount was debited from my account. It was not an insignificant sum either.

Response from n26 which is not exactly confidence inspiring especially since the ATM wasn't in a bank and I'm going to be thousands of miles away from that country soon...:

Hey $myname,

Thanks for getting in touch!

I'm really sorry that this happend but nothing to worry about!
    The quickest way to solve it, is to go to the bank owing the ATM where you withdrew the money from. But you can also wait until the transaction is declined - this can take a maximum of 10 days. If after this time you still didn't get your money back, please contact us and we will find a solution for you.

For any fruther questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. You can also always check out our support centre to find answers right away: https://support.number26.eu/

Have a lovely day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Here is Number26's response to the NFC "issue"

In German

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

long_b wrote: »
    In German
    For a discussion regarding the data stored on NFC-enabled card information, we give the following opinion:

It is a usual card setting with NFC-enabled cards in Germany and Europe, which is not limited to Number26. These cards setting is MasterCard Standard and common practice at many banks in Europe.

In principle, the storage of data is not a problem. On the chip the last ten transactions (date and amount of the amount) is stored. Distributor information is not stored. From the transactional data, no personal information about the cardholder or the bank account can be derived. Personal information such as name, date of birth or address are not stored on the chip. Since neither name nor CVC code are stored, third parties can not use the data for a transaction. Thus, the storage of the above transaction data (date and amount of the amount) is harmless.

The reading of the data is only possible if the card directly to the reading terminal, or the NFC-enabled smartphone, will be held. POS retail terminals do not have the ability to read past transaction data.

From the NFC technology independently and applies as with any payment instrument: Who wants to protect its map data optimally protected from third parties, his card should not be out of hand and in principle. more data (CVC code and cardholder) are imprinted on the physical map, allow the misuse of the card. This is exactly why the immediate blocking of the card is lost, is so important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement