Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Easy mistake to make in fairness. People aren't used to this level of customization, says a lot about Irish banks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Savman wrote: »
    Easy mistake to make in fairness. People aren't used to this level of customization, says a lot about Irish banks!

I'm so looking forward to getmondo.co.uk getting off the ground because than issues like this are no longer the case.

They claim that due to proximity of mobile and card they would approve the transaction if the PIN entered is correct for example.

I'm really thinking of investing 10£ in them to jump the queue and get it testing, the product looks excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭Nollog

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    *I have a revolut card but didn't have enough in my account at the time so unfortunately i had to use my UB debit card. :(

You can top up Revolut with your N26 card now.
    Mine complains about being in USD, but I top up in EUR, then do the conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

has anyone else tried contactless payment at starbuks with theirs?
    Tried it there this morning after activating the card and the terminal rejected it with a not a "supported message"(can't remember what the terminal actually said, but effectively it was not supported).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭Nollog

This post has been deleted.

My GF can't do chip n' pin but did a contactless no problem.

Someone was saying in the PTSB thread that N26 make the contactless payment go online, maybe that starbucks doesn't allow that?
    I like questions.

I can't get the card to work with bus eireann, anyone know a trick to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Looks like Google Adsense do not support SEPA payments to Germany (or Ireland). Only direct wire transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

The customer service really is poor. I received a reply today to a message I sent a month ago about the stamp duty charge. Anyway, they tell me:

'Stamp duty rules in Ireland have changed as of January 2016. The €5 fee is applicable to all ATM and Debit cards. It is not a flat fee, but will be charged at €0.12 per every ATM transaction until the €5 limit has been reached. We will stop charging this fee at that point. If, by the 31st of December you have not reached the €5 cap, you will be charged the remaining amount.'

Is that last bit correct? That's not how I understood it.

Reedsie wrote: »
    The customer service really is poor. I received a reply today to a message I sent a month ago about the stamp duty charge. Anyway, they tell me:

'Stamp duty rules in Ireland have changed as of January 2016. The €5 fee is applicable to all ATM and Debit cards. It is not a flat fee, but will be charged at €0.12 per every ATM transaction until the €5 limit has been reached. We will stop charging this fee at that point. If, by the 31st of December you have not reached the €5 cap, you will be charged the remaining amount.'

That is not only confusing to you, I re-translated it to German and it makes no sense either.

They're clearly telling me that they will charge €5 in stamp duty whether I reach the cap through ATM transactions or not. If I make one ATM transaction all year and incur a 12c fee for that they will charge me the remaining €4.88 at the end of the year. Or so I'm being told. That wasn't how I understood the new stamp duty to work at all. What would be the point of that!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Amouar

They're clearly telling me that they will charge €5 in stamp duty whether I reach the cap through ATM transactions or not. If I make one ATM transaction all year and incur a 12c fee for that they will charge me the remaining €4.88 at the end of the year. Or so I'm being told. That wasn't how I understood the new stamp duty to work at all. What would be the point of that!?

Maybe they're lazy to count all the ATM transactions and apply 12c for each even though this can be done automatically.

I fired off a mail to them in German (might help) and once I get an answer I will post it.

Because this is not how the new stamp duty regime works.

According to citizensinformation.ie:
    'From 1 January 2016, a new government stamp duty of 12 cent applies to ATM withdrawals (this is in addition to any charge from your bank). This stamp duty will be collected in arrears. This means that charges you incur in 2016 will be charged to your account on 31 December 2016.'

According to N26's email to me they have it all wrong, again. Seriously how hard can it be for a financial organisation to get this right? And how much time have they wasted on it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

The email you received I am sure is a mistranslation from their side, creating again confusion..
    They just meant you will be charged only up to the amount you have reached by 31st December, if not 5 euro.

inel wrote: »
    The email you received I am sure is a mistranslation from their side, creating again confusion..
    They just meant you will be charged only up to the amount you have reached by 31st December, if not 5 euro.

I got an answer back and they confirm, it's 12 cents per ATM withdraw in Ireland with a maximum of 2.50/5.00 (depending on usage) charged in December.

Looks like it's just a bad translation to English.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭A Law

Wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

any come across this problem yet...

transferred €70 into my account yesterday and got the notification on my phone to say it was in....my previous balance was €1.54 so just checked my account this before withdrawing the €70 and its says that i only have €69.74 in the account...

Funnily enough though if i check my February statement on my account its saying that i have the correct amount €71.54 in my account...

What to hell is going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

My balance seemed out by €2 for a few days - i even got the €2 back which was three mobile although they said the card was rejected on three mobile website but eventually after a few days my account balance was correct.

It can get complicated with paypal -pre-authorisations etc. -stuff in real time but not really gone through fully etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eccehomo

New user looking for a referral code.
    EDIT:
    I just got an invitation. Thanks to all other people who contacted me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Sono

Deposited €20 into my account a few weeks back, threw it into an Ulster bank atm this morning to withdraw, machine didn't even ask for my pin just swallowed it straight away, great start!

• Advertisement

Sono wrote: »
    Deposited €20 into my account a few weeks back, threw it into an Ulster bank atm this morning to withdraw, machine didn't even ask for my pin just swallowed it straight away, great start!

It swallowed it after you put in before you even got a PIN entry mask?

Wow that is something I have not seen in a long time.

Have you contacted support what did they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

The banks are fighting back, all bank ATMS have instructions to act like a Hungry Hippo upon receiving any fee avoiding cards.

The banks are fighting back, all bank ATMS have instructions to act like a Hungry Hippo upon receiving any fee avoiding cards.

If I would not be so long in Ireland I would think you are joking but giving how Irish Companies are treating their customer and regulators doing nothing, this could actually be true and being disguised as a security update ;-)

Best to use one of these new ATM's where you put the card into a reader but that does not take the whole card in, can they eat cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Sono

It swallowed it after you put in before you even got a PIN entry mask?

Wow that is something I have not seen in a long time.

Have you contacted support what did they say?

Correct.

I emailed support but just got an automated response and will have to wait a few days to get a proper reply.

Couldn't believe what actually happened, glad I only deposited 20 and not a big chunk of money or else I would be fairly annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

I used ulster bank ATM last week, all good though ... Interested in what support say

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The first ATM I used last December was an AIB machine and I got a message along the lines that I hadn't inserted a valid ATM card. It then spat it back at me. Have had no trouble since then though.

Aviva health will only accept Irish IBANs as direct debit on their Self Care portal.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Aviva health will only accept Irish IBANs as direct debit on their Self Care portal.

There might be a requirement to send in a written Direct Debit from for non-irish bank accounts, have you checked with them?

It's fully legal for them to require a written form for non-irish bank accounts.

There might be a requirement to send in a written Direct Debit from for non-irish bank accounts, have you checked with them?

It's fully legal for them to require a written form for non-irish bank accounts.

Good point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

NoelDoran wrote: »
    any come across this problem yet...

transferred €70 into my account yesterday and got the notification on my phone to say it was in....my previous balance was €1.54 so just checked my account this before withdrawing the €70 and its says that i only have €69.74 in the account...

Funnily enough though if i check my February statement on my account its saying that i have the correct amount €71.54 in my account...

What to hell is going on?

Still having this problem with my account, the amount my account is out by has actually increased to €5.40 now...
    Was talking to them via their chat several times...

Firstly was told that that there was no problem, i had to upload a screen shot to show the incorrect balance, then i was told it was just a display error and that it wouldn't affect we withdrawing funds (which it is).

Now they have logged the problem with what i presume it their tech department and told me they would contact me when they have found the problem...

Not like this at all, luckily its only a few €'s out and not a few hundred €'s out...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement