Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Arbie wrote: »
    What store was that in? The machines are programmed to only activate the contactless option if it's €30 or less so that is an anomaly.

New petrol station opposite the Sheldon Park Hotel. The contactless option showed so i gave it a go and it was accepted no problem. No pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

dolallyoh wrote: »
    New petrol station opposite the Sheldon Park Hotel. The contactless option showed so i gave it a go and it was accepted no problem. No pin.

Thanks, I think I know the one. I will try it out too and see if I can get away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Lads I tried taking money out of my number 26 account at a permanent tsb atm.

ATM crashed as the transaction was finishing so no money came out .

Its gone off my balance though.

Who do I contact n26 or permanent tsb ? Both maybe ?

Haven't got this back yet.
    PTSB said to contact Number 26. N26 said to wait 10 working days for it to come back into my account.

Have to fill out a chargeback form now but that could take weeks.
    Lucky I'm not broke been down 300 over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Thanks, I think I know the one. I will try it out too and see if I can get away with it!

`With your stolen mastercard ? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Re-ordered my card today as lost it last night, does anyone have any experience of how long the cards take to be delivered when re-ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

If I was to sign up for one of these could I use it to buy on a UK site that requires UK address and credit card? Specifically very.co.uk

If I was to sign up for one of these could I use it to buy on a UK site that requires UK address and credit card? Specifically very.co.uk

They have stopped accepting customers from Ireland. Plus those cards issued previously are coded as irish.

Why don't you look at revolut combined with Parcelmotel/Parcelwizard/AddressPal that works. UK issued card with UK billing/shipping address.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

wrong thread - Revolut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Must be high demand, put on the "waiting list." The whole thing reminds me of something you would see an expose documentary done on in a few years though, as millions of peoples euro dissapear. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I applied for a Mondo card. Looks to be a similar service as Number26 but the UK version.

Waiting for the card to be delivered to my UK address.

Off I go to cancel then :)

Where did ya see about the fees? Can't find it anywhere.

Phew! :)

Yeah Mondo looks decent. Current account on the way in next 6 months too so should be interesting to see what we can get away with here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

I applied for a Mondo card. Looks to be a similar service as Number26 but the UK version.

Do you have invites? The waiting list is very long.

soirish wrote: »
    Do you have invites? The waiting list is very long.

I got to top of the list - waiting on card to come now. If I have invites I'll post them up once I activate the card.

Would people recommend overall number26 or revolut?

• Advertisement

Would people recommend overall number26 or revolut?

It depends on what you are looking for - they are different products.

I use Revolut on a daily basis for online purchases and small store purchases, and when I travel abroad. I rate it very highly. The in-app support isn't perfect but apart from being slow has been overall quite good. I've recommended it to several people who also use it regularly and are happy with it. It isn't suitable as a complete replacement for a bank account as (unlike number26) it doesn't offer IBAN, direct debits, etc. and your money is not covered by guarantee.

number26 on the other hand has been nothing but a pain. I have completely given up on them. The website doesn't offer 2-factor authentication so you can access an account with a single password. Some of the website is still not translated from German. Their customer service either ignore me, or claim they can't understand my accent, or tell me I am wrong but won't/can't explain why. The online chat is hopeless. I referred a few family members and regret it so much as they have had just as much trouble. I would rather pay fees to the worst bricks and mortar bank than use number26. I've since changed to KBC, no fees, customer service are very good.

It depends on what you are looking for - they are different products.

I use Revolut on a daily basis for online purchases and small store purchases, and when I travel abroad. I rate it very highly. The in-app support isn't perfect but apart from being slow has been overall quite good. I've recommended it to several people who also use it regularly and are happy with it. It isn't suitable as a complete replacement for a bank account as (unlike number26) it doesn't offer IBAN, direct debits, etc. and your money is not covered by guarantee.

number26 on the other hand has been nothing but a pain. I have completely given up on them. The website doesn't offer 2-factor authentication so you can access an account with a single password. Some of the website is still not translated from German. Their customer service either ignore me, or claim they can't understand my accent, or tell me I am wrong but won't/can't explain why. The online chat is hopeless. I referred a few family members and regret it so much as they have had just as much trouble. I would rather pay fees to the worst bricks and mortar bank than use number26. I've since changed to KBC, no fees, customer service are very good.

Ok, thank you for your thoughts. Yea im on an aib student account at the mo so pay no fees bar govt stamp duty anyway. I ordered a revolut card there anyway to avoid fees abroad, sounds like a goos deal. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Hey I'm on top of the list and tried to request a card. It accepted my Irish mobile number but it only accepts UK physical addresses.... did you use Parcel Model or did you give that N. Ireland post-code that mysteriously gets forwarded to the south (which I cant remember at the moment)?

Requires a £100 initial deposit by the way... definitely targeting a more "committed" audience than what N26 goes after

I'll definitely share invites if they let me in...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

number26 on the other hand has been nothing but a pain. I have completely given up on them. The website doesn't offer 2-factor authentication so you can access an account with a single password.

You can access (view) the account with a single password through the website but still you cannot send any money without confirming your action via the mobile app using your pin.
    This is a '2-factor authentication' when sending money and offers equal level of security as most banks in the market.

inel wrote: »
    You can access (view) the account with a single password through the website but still you cannot send any money without confirming your action via the mobile app using your pin.
    This is a '2-factor authentication' when sending money and offers equal level of security as most banks in the market.

That's correct, you need the app to send money; but shouldn't they require 2FA or at least a 2nd password/code to view transactions also? I wouldn't be happy with just a single password. Your username is your email address which makes it even easier - most banks assign you a number as your username.

AIB, KBC, Rabobank, etc. use various forms of Chip Authentication Programs/Dynamic Passcode Authentication. Even BofI, who I would rank low on the internet banking scale, require an identifier plus 1 of 2 alternating identifiers, plus 3 out of 6 digits from a passcode. number26 is the worst I have come across.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Hey I'm on top of the list and tried to request a card. It accepted my Irish mobile number but it only accepts UK physical addresses.... did you use Parcel Model or did you give that N. Ireland post-code that mysteriously gets forwarded to the south (which I cant remember at the moment)?

Requires a £100 initial deposit by the way... definitely targeting a more "committed" audience than what N26 goes after

I'll definitely share invites if they let me in...

I wrangled my way out of the £100 via their CS team. Used a family members address in UK. Interesting to see how it develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Elessar

The KBC app does not have 2 factor authentication either. In fact, it only needs your 6 digit number (as opposed to N26 that needs your email and password). Though probably, it uses the 2 factor system for transfers, like N26 does. I love my N26 account and feel it's the future of banking. I'm recommending it to everyone I know. Their instant notifications and income/spending breakdowns are fantastic, as is being able to manage the card entirely through the app (no need to ring the bank for anything).

I hope they open up registrations to Ireland again so more people can get on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Which card has the bad weekend rates? The Revolut or N26 card? I can't remember and I'm buying something at the moment online.

Mondo looks decent.

They also claim to use Mastercard's rate so no additional fees.

App is handy. Contactless card too.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    Which card has the bad weekend rates? The Revolut or N26 card? I can't remember and I'm buying something at the moment online.

Revolut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement