Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I sign a 12 month lease even though i won't be in house for 12 months

Options
  • 07-12-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey,

So i was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I have been renting a house for a year with myself and 2 others on a 12 month fixed term lease. The rent just went up 100 euro and they are asking us to sign another lease however i do not think i will be in the house for 12 months, probably only 6 months. Can i just continue on a part 4 tenancy and the other two house mates sign a 12 month lease? The letting agent didn't sound too happy with this idea but does this give me more room to leave when i need to? if i sign the 12 month lease and leave i have to pay 123 euro because they would have to draft a new contract if i were to reassign the lease to some one else moving in.

Do i sign another 12 month lease or just say i am continuing under a part 4.

Thanks,

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Why are your friends signing a new lease? They have part 4 rights and the LL will not be able to raise rent for two years when the new tenancy legislation is enacted. The only ones who will benefit from you signing will be your co tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

sciencetec wrote: »
    Hey,

So i was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I have been renting a house for a year with myself and 2 others on a 12 month fixed term lease. The rent just went up 100 euro and they are asking us to sign another lease however i do not think i will be in the house for 12 months, probably only 6 months. Can i just continue on a part 4 tenancy and the other two house mates sign a 12 month lease? The letting agent didn't sound too happy with this idea but does this give me more room to leave when i need to? if i sign the 12 month lease and leave i have to pay 123 euro because they would have to draft a new contract if i were to reassign the lease to some one else moving in.

Do i sign another 12 month lease or just say i am continuing under a part 4.

Thanks,

Any advice would be appreciated.

€123! For printing out a document and changing a couple of names! You could probably get a lawyer to draft something new for half that price.

Just say you all want to go onto a Part IV. LL will still have to go through the proper procedures to evict if he's not happy. Can't see why any LL in their right mind would do that if they already have decent tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sciencetec

Yea my fellow tenants what to sign a lease because they are afraid if they don't they can be evicted easily if the landlord just says they want it for family but if i sign a lease and i can't get a tenant for what ever reason i am still liable for the years rent where as if i just do the part 4 i don't have to pay any rent after my 42 days notice correct?

Advertisement