Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on how to get proficiency in a second language

• 07-12-2015 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have an advise on how to get a proficiency in a second language to meet the requirements in applying for the gardai?

I currently speak fluent English and have a little Irish (cant remember if i passed Irish in the LC still waiting on results) and German but thats it.

Can you apply for a course in any language?

Is there a particular place they want you to go to get this?

Any advise is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Hi,

Does anyone have an advise on how to get a proficiency in a second language to meet the requirements in applying for the gardai?

I currently speak fluent English and have a little Irish (cant remember if i passed Irish in the LC still waiting on results) and German but thats it.

Can you apply for a course in any language?

Is there a particular place they want you to go to get this?

Any advise is appreciated

The requirement is English OR Irish and another language, if you have evidence (Leaving Cert, Diploma, Certifcate etc.) that you have proficiency in German as well as English you meet the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hatty444

ollieo wrote: »
    The requirement is English OR Irish and another language, if you have evidence (Leaving Cert, Diploma, Certifcate etc.) that you have proficiency in German as well as English you meet the standard.

I wonder would Junior Cert German do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Yeah can you use junior cert ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

It has to be leaving cert standard...

Personally, I think it's time the language proficiency was stopped.. Lots of messing around for people who don't have it and for the people that do most don't remember a single word in Irish since leaving school..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kidasa

I have English and a D in ordinary level French of my leaving cert. That was circa 10 years ago so is the results paper enough or is it followed up on with some sort of test? I literally couldn't go further than J'mapple Kidasa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Kidasa wrote: »
    I have English and a D in ordinary level French of my leaving cert. That was circa 10 years ago so is the results paper enough or is it followed up on with some sort of test? I literally couldn't go further than J'mapple Kidasa!

Results is enough. They take that as proof of your proficiency, even tho as said most people havent a word left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

carzony wrote: »
    It has to be leaving cert standard...

Personally, I think it's time the language proficiency was stopped.. Lots of messing around for people who don't have it and for the people that do most don't remember a single word in Irish since leaving school..

Didn't get in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

endacl wrote: »
    Didn't get in?

never applied..

if i had applied i would have had the qualifications required but it's still unfair .

Ta..

well that's the extent of my irish but don't worry I have a cert that says I can speak the language :o:o

Advertisement