Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy RAM - what are my options?

Options
  • 07-12-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

I built a gaming rig last year (with some help from this forum) and it's been quite happy running Windows 8.1. On the release of Win 10 I upgraded, but constant BSOD's meant I restored my backup and postponed the upgrade.

I tried again over the weekend and had the same problem. Most are memory_management or irql_not_less_or_equal errors. This time I decide to run memtest86, and what do you know, loads of errors. It seems that Win 10 has new memory management code and it a lot pickier than 8.1, so even though they weren't an issue before, they sure are now.

I update the BIOS, but no joy (MB is ASRock Z97 Extreme 4)

I pulled out one of the DIMMS (can only reach one due to a massive CPU heatsink) and ran memtest again, this time there were no issues reported, so it looks like I've a bad DIMM. So I'm wondering where to go from here.

As I see it, my options are:

1. Replace that one stick and hope it works
    2. Run in single channel mode (I'm assuming I can move one DIMM to another slot without issue
    3. ????

Anybody got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Sounds like you have it all in hand to be honest. Replace the stick, can look to see if it is under warranty still. Just make sure you get the same brand and model of RAM again. In the mean time, 4gb will get you by just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I didn't fancy dealing with Hardwareversand considering the recent fun and games so I got on to Crucial UK about an RMA.

10 mins on chat, no arguments and very helpful. Hopefully I get a replacement before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Excellent! :)

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Excellent! :)

Fair play - hadn't even thought of doing an RMA. Crucial have a lifetime warranty on RAM apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Great job. Hopefully they wont want both sticks back leaving you with none.

• Advertisement

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Great job. Hopefully they wont want both sticks back leaving you with none.

Nope. I already got the order confirmation for the replacement and it's one 4GB stick so that's fine. Just as well as I only posted one stick out to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

stimpson wrote: »
    Nope. I already got the order confirmation for the replacement and it's one 4GB stick so that's fine. Just as well as I only posted one stick out to them!
    Nice. I had to return ram to hws years ago and they wanted both sticks. Left me pc less for a few days.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Nice. I had to return ram to hws years ago and they wanted both sticks. Left me pc less for a few days.

Yeah I was expecting the worst when they asked if I have bought direct from Crucial, but not a bit of it. PC hasn't BSODed since yesterday, so it looks like it's the problem all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

stimpson wrote: »
    Yeah I was expecting the worst when they asked if I have bought direct from Crucial, but not a bit of it. PC hasn't BSODed since yesterday, so it looks like it's the problem all right.

Great to see companies so helpful. I had similar with corsair when a psu was missing a few cables. They said talk to amazon I told them amazon wanted psu back and send a replacement but I only needed a couple of cables so they sent them out and had them in 3 days. Took less than 15 mins to get sorted.

My replacement RAM arrived this morning, just in time for Christmas. Memtest86 completed with no errors so I'm all set. Delighted too as there is a noticeable difference running with only 4GB. I'm tempted to pick up another pair for good measure as they are only £30 on Amazon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement