Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironmind

Options
  • 07-12-2015 3:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭

Anyone watching this?opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Anyone watching this?opinions?

its not on now? where are you watching it now? I thought it was on sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tunney wrote: »
    its not on now? where are you watching it now? I thought it was on sundays?

Probably watching it on RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Started watching it this morning (Sky+)
    Pretty interesting but very much leaning on the psychological part of training/racing.
    4 people with mental health issues and guiding them through the process of training for a HIM
    I'm only half an hour into episode one but it appears to be showing how sport can be good for the mind as well as the body.
    I've a lot of time for Bressie since I've gotten over seeing him as just a big meathead having listened to a few interviews he's done around this

Started watching it this morning (Sky+)
    Pretty interesting but very much leaning on the psychological part of training/racing.
    4 people with mental health issues and guiding them through the process of training for a HIM
    I'm only half an hour into episode one but it appears to be showing how sport can be good for the mind as well as the body.
    I've a lot of time for Bressie since I've gotten over seeing him as just a big meathead having listened to a few interviews he's done around this

Exercises reduces the production of inflammation related hormones. A lot of mental illness research is suggesting that depression and similar is an inflammation related disorder.

Its nothing to do with the challenge nor satisfaction of a HIM - its biochemistry.

He does seem to be trying to rebrand himself from a nobody to a somebody on the "ironman saved me" issue alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ever the cynic. He was probably last a 'nobody' in his school days, he since was a Westmeath County Player, a Leinster player, as well as lead man for a relatively successful band. He has also experienced mental health issues and he's doing a great job as a spokesman in this area. Much more accomplished than the vast majority of people in the country.

Did he beat you recently or something, or is it because he has a better bike?

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ever the cynic. He was probably last a 'nobody' in his school days, he since was a Westmeath County Player, a Leinster player, as well as lead man for a relatively successful band. He has also experienced mental health issues and he's doing a great job as a spokesman in this area. Much more accomplished than the vast majority of people in the country.

Did he beat you recently or something, or is it because he has a better bike?

Yes westmeath county player doesn't impress me really, nor does 12 games for leinster, nor a tiny tiny band. And none of this would I see as being "accomplished". A sad reflection on our countries obsession with "celebrity". If these things *do* impress you it says an awful lot about you.

I simply object to a serious topic such as mental health being hijacked for shameless self promotion.

Mental health is a huge thing and the sound bites he generates are more about promoting himself than enabling people to recognise when their loved ones, or friends, need help and how to guide and aid them.

"I'm depressed"
    "Bressie says do an ironman"
    *feels worse as exercise not their thing/possible*

Initiatives like the taxi drivers of Limerick and their unofficial policing of suicide sports in limerick - something I can respect. "LOOK AT ME I WAS DEPRESSED BUT NOW I AM FAMOUS - less so.

As a county player he won a county champions medal (albeit at under 21), a pretty good accomplishment.

For anyone to get onto the Leinster squad and actually get game time is a pretty good accomplishment.

His band the Blizzards were pretty successful commercially before they broke up. Given the amount of bands we have in this country, that's a pretty good accomplishment.

He was all these things before he ever came out and admitted to having issues, so your childish claims that "LOOK AT ME I WAS DEPRESSED BUT NOW I AM FAMOUS", is frankly bollox.

Did I say I was impressed with this anyway, show me where? I'm simply pointing out the contraction in your claim that he's a nobody trying to hijack mental health to become someone.

He's not shamefully hijacking anything. He already gives mental health talks around the country, pretty low key stuff, as well as being a spokesman for a number of mental health organisations around the country.

If you watched the show you'd see he took a back seat in it and doesn't feature that much.

You're problem seems to be that you don't like people that you see as a failed celebrity enter the world of triathlon and be reasonably decent at it, because I can see no other reason for someone to have a problem with anyone doing any of these things, maybe apart from jealously or a nose out of joint.

If you watched the show you'd see he took a back seat in it and doesn't feature that much.

I have watched the show and I find that the exception. I found it very moving, even to tears in places.
    You're problem seems to be that you don't like people that you see as a failed celebrity enter the world of triathlon and be reasonably decent at it, because I can see no other reason for someone to have a problem with anyone doing any of these things, maybe apart from jealously or a nose out of joint.

I've not issue with anyone doing triathlon, by all accounts he is quite good at it, I heard he has a nice stroke. the triathlon isn't the part that irritates me but what actual good does his approach do for mental health suffers?

What is his approach you're questioning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

what actual good does his approach do for mental health suffers?

He is a stereotypical strong alpha male.

We don't have to be impressed by him. The message is if it is OK for him to suffer from mental health issues and people see that it doesn't make him any weaker then it may strike a chord with others, men especially, that opening up and talking about mental health is also OK.

Anything that helps others to help themselves IMO is good. Especially in light of the unbelievably high level of male suicide in this country.

I think the fact that the lust for life website backs up all that is being said with action and steps to take is an indicator that it is more than a 'look at me' thing.

I hear you in general, there are people who play the 'I'm depressed' card shamelessly but I don't believe this to be what is happening here. Could you imagine the fall out public reaction if it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I went to a talk of his recently that our work put on for staff. I have little to no interest in his rugby, football or music career. His talk about his own mental health issues was one if the most interesting, honest and enthralling talks I've ever attended.

Have a look at his free website... Alustforlife.com......some really useful resources here for people that are struggling or know friends that are struggling.

Really enjoyed Ironmind... To me the triathlon aspect was secondary. Using something like triathlon as a way of helping with your mental wellbeing was to me the main focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

'It's ok not to feel OK and it's absolutely OK to ask for help'

By speaking truthfully about his mental health issues, a young person might look at him and think if this guy with many talents and good looks has mental health problems then it's absolutely ok for me not to feel ok and it's absolutely ok to ask for help.

I thought Ironmind was great - it's creating a conversation around the mental health issues and that's exactly what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

And he's doing it in a very humble way, credit to the fellow for taking a back seat and not hogging the limelight. At least one of the participants on Ironmind has has a profound turnaround in their life.

It might be the Roz Purcell angle that's annoying some folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

how many triathletes are actually normal ...
    I was sitting on a table with 3 people for one hour to come up with a list of 10 normal triatheltes so iam not sure if tri is the best way to heal mental issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

peter kern wrote: »
    how many triathletes are actually normal ...
    I was sitting on a table with 3 people for one hour to come up with a list of 10 normal triatheltes so iam not sure if tri is the best way to heal mental issues.

It depends on what you consider normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I've not issue with anyone doing triathlon, by all accounts he is quite good at it, I heard he has a nice stroke. the triathlon isn't the part that irritates me but what actual good does his approach do for mental health suffers?

You state in your first post on this thread that scientists have proven the biochemical benefits of exercise on the brain and then you ask what good his approach of encouraging people with mental health issues to exercise is??!

The more men (and women) who openly speak of their struggle with depression the better. It has been taboo for far too long. Brezzie repeatedly admits that it won't work for everyone but it worked for him. It's attention seeking cynics like you who discourage others from speaking out about, EXACTLY the thing we need to stop. Jesus only in Ireland would someone begrudge another a good "struggle with depression" story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

fitnessfreak.ie/iron-mind-michael-o-connell#.VmmjINIUt2s.twitter

Here is another story about the power of sport and how it can help over come the stresses and strains of life, and how in them few minutes of running, cycling, swimming or what ever sport it may well be the difference on how we see things and indeed deal with stress and depression
    While it didn't help Mike understand why, it did help him deal with his own grief.

As for the cynics, well f**k them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Just thought I'd pop this up here. A FB post from a young guy from Clare who just completed a 24 hour cycle on a stationary bike to raise awareness and funds for mental health.

Hi all,

I rarely post on FB any more, but this is something important to me that I need to share. It's a long one but please read to the end.

I've organised a fundraiser where I'll be doing a 24 Hour stationary cycle on a watt bike to raise awareness for Mental health disorders (particularly Anxiety, Bi-Polar and Depression).

There'll be 24 teams of 12 cycling alongside me around the clock.

I'm hoping it will raise a bit of money for local charities, the ones I've picked are: The Clare branch of The Samaritans, Clarecare, Clare Bereavement Support and Clare Mental Health Services.

More importantly than raising money I'm hoping to educate people on what Anxiety, Bi-polar and Depression are and how they can affect people.

For most of my life I've had bad anxiety but only in recent years has it become so severe that it's affected my mental well being and put me through serious bouts of depression.

Taking up Endurance sports is the first thing I've found in my life that has improved my mind in a positive way.
    The Ironman I did in August was my first time leaving Clare in 2 years (which sounds ridiculous, but) it's something that was starting to seem impossible the worse my anxiety got.

I've gone through several days at a time where I couldn't leave the house without getting an anxiety attack, several social activities I've had to leave early or make up an excuse of why I couldn't go thinking I was having an asthma attack and I've never been able to explain to people Why I was coming across as a poor friend.
    I had originally intended to write a longer post here about when and how it started and the experience of recent darker times but for the moment it's just important that family,
    And friends know.

I don't want to pretend I'm fine when I'm not.

If you think you have a mental Illness, never close yourself off and try and handle it on your own. I got great support from 2 close friends at work and my mom at home, who knew I had anxiety all along and helped me silently through some of the roughest times of my life.

Everyone has at least 1 friend that is affected by a mental illness.
    How have you helped this friend?

On the day of the event, the charities will each have a stand, with information and representatives you can talk to.
    In a room separate to the event there'll be counsellors available to talk to for anyone who wants general information, is worried about a friend or needs someone to listen.

Please share the link and support the idea by telling friends or family about the event. I'm hoping to be updating the page regularly leading up to the day Fri 11th Dec at 8pm to Sat 12th Dec 8pm.
    Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/blazingsaddles24hrcharitycycle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

There are always those who exploit. Lets leave them aside.

The people who surface with real issues and reach out for help are amongst the bravest on earth. Our natural instinct is to fix it, our natural defence is to hide it, our gremlins rule it and like most things in life we at some point accept the cards we are dealt and sit back. But for every one of those that sit back, there is someone brave who dares to be brave.

Having said that the action is so often misplaced. Losing 10 stone or jumping into that cold water are huge steps, proud achievements, but so often hollow.

The first thing that really struck me about the program was not Bressie or the team finding a bond and a common goal. The girl with the hair thing is the point. Finding an outlet and literally throwing herself into it, the burning muscles and fatique giving a temporary oasis. It drove home the purpose of the mindfulness movement. The outlet is important because you need something "else". However is not the cure. Expecting it to cure is a crash looming. She started to get there in the end and Bressie played a key role in that. It doesn't have to be the phsyologist toolbox.

Just someone to genuinely care. No doubt we all know at least one other person. When was the last time you reached out?

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/12/what-is-the-right-amount-of-exercise-for-optimal-mental-health/
    Another paper, published in the journal Preventive Medicine in 2012, found an optimal weekly dose of exercise between 2.5 hours and 7.5 hours. Both above and below that, participants reported poorer mental health.

So basically do a half but don't train properly at all and it can help with depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/12/what-is-the-right-amount-of-exercise-for-optimal-mental-health/

So basically do a half but don't train properly at all and it can help with depression.

Or train properly and go a bit loopy :)
    Explains a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

That study wasn't performed on people suffering from depression and the researcher admitted further study was needed. Good selective quoting though

That study wasn't performed on people suffering from depression and the researcher admitted further study was needed. Good selective quoting though

can you show studies that incidcate that more is better for depressed people and that depressed people have a lower likelyhood of post ironman blues ?

can you show studies that incidcate that more is better for depressed people and that depressed people have a lower likelyhood of post ironman blues ?

So what? These people, and others, found that Ironmen, and other forms of exercise, have helped them.

Tunney disappears and refused to answer anything put to him, then returns with a simple selective piece of quoting.

Why are you guys so adamant to try poke holes in this?

So what? These people, and others, found that Ironmen, and other forms of exercise, have helped them.

Tunney disappears and refused to answer anything put to him, then returns with a simple selective piece of quoting.

Why are you guys so adamant to try poke holes in this?

I let you deal with tunney.

But what is wrong to look for evidence based studies? its an interesitng and important subject. and facts never hurt.

They don't, but if so many people who do suffer with depression say that they're in a better place for participating in such activities, who are we to ask them to prove it did? It could be the compression socks for all we know, doesn't matter, they come out the other side feeling better about themselves.

They don't, but if so many people who do suffer with depression say that they're in a better place for participating in such activities, who are we to ask them to prove it did? It could be the compression socks for all we know, doesn't matter, they come out the other side feeling better about themselves.

what i am trying to say is that their might be a limit what race durations , or hours of training might be good. And an post ironman depression is certinly nothing too uncommon for people that would seem not to suffer from depresions, so I would be worried that those ironman blues could be more dangerous for people that suffer from depresion (henceforth i like to see studies that would say this is not likely the case)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

what i am trying to say is that their might be a limit what race durations , or hours of training might be good. And an post ironman depression is certinly nothing too uncommon for people that would seem not to suffer from depresions, so I would be worried that those ironman blues could be more dangerous for people that suffer from depresion (henceforth i like to see studies that would say this is not likely the case)

That is an interesting question Peter has put and it does bear considering.

It spins into the 'what next?' mindset of compulsive race entries.

At the end of the day everything in moderation is the way to deal with life. We all know that. The problem is depression and I do know where Tunney is coming from in consideration of the objectification and main streaming of depression - it seems everyone is fighting back from depression of some form and they are clamboring over each other for public affirmation and visibility.

There is a risk of Peter & the wolf about it too - so I do share that concern.

However, this program did set out to show that depression and anxiety affects so many people in so many ways.

I personally am worried that the depths of depression shown in the program are being experienced by people as young as that. I know from my own experience at that age that talking about issues especially among my peers was considered a weakness.

Good that we can talk.

Advertisement