Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Printer to buy?

Options
  • 07-12-2015 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,

I see this question has been asked a few times, but can't find anything which is newer then 18 months since it was last asked

I am looking to buy a printer - nothing fancy, pretty much just for home use, always comes in handy with printing off boarding passes etc - essentially will be low volume

Just wondered has anyone got any recommendations for a good value, nothing fancy printer. Shops near me are - Tesco/PC World/Argos/Harvey Norman

cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If colour isn't important then I'd opt for a cheap laser. HP do one for about 100 euro. The model number is HP LaserJet Pro P1102w. It has wireless built in and having used one I can recommend it for what you describe - occasional printing.

It sounds expensive but if you factor in the cost of ink with a cheap inkjet printer, cartridges drying out if not used, ink wasted each time the printer auto cleans the print head then the cost of ownership is very competitive. The toner cartridge that comes with the printer is good for about 1500 pages (supplied one is a half filled one).

PCWorld stock the printer for 99.99 euro.

A new toner costs 90 euro at PCWorld.. The capacity of the full toner is about 3000 pages.

Again this sounds expensive but the cost per page is well below that of an inkjet.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 braniganl

Defo go for a Laser printer. Slightly more expensive to buy initially, but much less hassle and expense in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sos88

thanks for your posts - i looked on PC world and couldnt see an option for colour ink, just wondered is there a huge price difference , as would spend a bit more just to have the colour option if it was worth it - cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

You can pickup cheap colour ink €30 maybe less?? Usually on special in places like Tesco..

Thing is the ink cartridges cost about the same - Usually 4 of them Black Cyan Magenta Yellow
    You can buy refills for cheap but the printer usually picks them up as counterfeit after awhile + they are messy ink everywhere.

As said above ink dries in cartridge before use, wasted etc.

That said if affordability is a factor just keep buying new printers everytime ink runs out? (Cheapest option)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I know this goes against the "laser is good" trend above...

But I wanted an all-in-one printer, with photo printing & scanner.
    I read a few reviews and went with the Canon Pixma MX535.

I thought I got a good deal at €89 a few months ago (when the average price was around €130), but they've dropped to €73.99 now in Argos.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=639118

• Advertisement
Advertisement